Sign in to follow this  
Rockliffe

Opinions on RAM please

I downloaded a popular tool a few months back that showed latency and memory bandwidth in charts with already recorded example. At this point in time I don't remember what it was. It was try before buy and I deleted it after a few goes. But anyway maybe someone might know of it, I would get it again and have another look, can't remember it just now. In the charts it showed latency and also another chart showed memory bandwidth. There was an example xeon 20 core at the top of the bandwidth chart.

What I found was that the bandwidth seemed to show a different story.  On one PC here a latency showed measured as 40ns but this was actually the fastest PC and showed the highest bandwidth in the table, higher than those showing latency some showing less that 10ns.

So the tool shows a memory latency of 40ns at the top of the table with the highest bandwidth.

Maybe someone knows what's going on there?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

SiSoftware SANDRA?  

I use this tools (along with several others to cross validate) ... also measure's Cache performance.  I have the 5 license Personal version.

Cheers, Rob.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. I will have to make some time to investigate. Can it be some systems might show double latency, perhaps if quad channel or some other system configuration?

AIDA64 Extreme trial version was the one I tried Rob. I got these figures from it. No idea if accurate:

Intel 18 core 2933 CL19 12.96ns
Read 88535 MB/s
Write 79607 MB/s
Copy 80493 MB/s
Measured latency 78.6

Threadripper 2933 CL16 10.91ns
Read 68474 MB/s
Write 73605 MB/s
Copy 67171 MB/s
Measured latency 71.2