Sign in to follow this  
GlideBy

3rd Party Devs that haven't been in contact

21 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Perhaps they're still limiting the number of partners at this point because the SDK still seems to be in early stages. Inviting tons of freeware developers would probably up the number of partners so much that they would be flooded with feedback.

You might be right but considering the way the Marketing strategy is established (i.e: interact with and involve users in the development process of the software in a transparent and inclusive way), I believe the "Partners" concept comes to contradict by itself this Marketing principle and turns the process all the sudden into an Elitist one...

Now, if I was part of the Marketing team or the decision making team of MSFS, I would not mention "Partners" in my news and updates, even if I still want to send SDKs to specific commercial groups that will develop and sell addons that in turn will help sell MSFS.

So I would still do this because it's a pragmatic business decision but then I would also open a forum for all developers to gather, and I would also make sure to have a representative of the dev team to give inputs, technical insights and interventions as well as technical notes. These technical heads up and previews about how the architecture of scenery works for example, will open the road for discussions and exchanges of ideas between developers. 

This is also a pool of information for MS / Asobo as for how many are willing to take from the shoulders of MS/Asobo some workload after the initial release (i.e: improve things that might not be on the top list of the first release features).

For example, in my case, I would know how much I can port from the scenery I created for that other simulator to MSFS...

Edited by Claviateur

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

57 minutes ago, Claviateur said:

They might be doing it in stages.  Just like so far Alpha has been 32GB ram, they may be taking the biggest devs first.  And maybe they don't yet know what to do with freeware devs.  Meaning they want them, just not sure when to bring them in.

But based on what I have read, and interviews watched, I think for sure they will get to freeware devs sometime.

Be persistent, but patient, give them time and then try again.  I presume you included a resume with a list of all your previous work, and your skills.  Hopefully you also have 32GB ram and a high end video card as well.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

They might be doing it in stages.  Just like so far Alpha has been 32GB ram, they may be taking the biggest devs first.  And maybe they don't yet know what to do with freeware devs.  Meaning they want them, just not sure when to bring them in.

But based on what I have read, and interviews watched, I think for sure they will get to freeware devs sometime.

Be persistent, but patient, give them time and then try again.  I presume you included a resume with a list of all your previous work, and your skills.  Hopefully you also have 32GB ram and a high end video card as well.

Perhaps! I have 16GB and GTX 1070 8 GB 🙂 But this is for the Alpha tests and I have no illusion or expectation and certainly not checking my email to see if I will be invited as I don't think it will happen.

Yet the SDK at this stage, to me, is at least some documentations to explore as an intro to how the world engine could be customized... Aircraft as well for those who will create them.

So I don't think we need a super hardware to read PDF documents 🙂

Edited by Claviateur

I kinda get the impression that Asobo are sort-of overwhelmed by the sheer crush of interest in MSFS, and their internal infrastructure is straining because of it - whether it's trying to communicate with a thousand different 3PDs, or their "Insider" website crumbling under the traffic.

This goes back to E3 last year, where Asobo/Microsoft seemed genuinely surprised by the sheer amount of hype for a new Flight Simulator.

• Like 1

I hope the SDK is specific and complex enough so that Devs cannot convert their creations of the past for other Sims into FS2020.

17 hours ago, mpozzi said:

I hope the SDK is specific and complex enough so that Devs cannot convert their creations of the past for other Sims into FS2020.

It depends what. I agree with you on Aircraft. As for scenery, the 3D models/textures can certainly be ported to MSFS, Now the quality of the 3D/Textures is relative to the needs and perception of users.

But I hope scenery creators will remove the overdone baked shadows from their textures... It makes no more sense in modern engine with the dynamic / atmospheric light

Edited by Claviateur
  • Upvote 1

On 2/15/2020 at 12:39 AM, mpozzi said:

Given that they've said they're building on FSX and reusing some code then I imagine that there's a degree of commonality. It may then be a question of how much work is involved in converting as opposed to starting from scratch.

Although a completely different product and engine I recall a project manager from Dovetail's new train simulator saying that they imported and converted a locomotive into the new engine and compared the same thing built from scratch with the result that the built from scratch model won hands down. It may well be different in this case but we'll have to wait and see.

Give people power to really test their personality.