Sign in to follow this  
yanfeng12342000

The difference between 2D monitor and VR

...is the difference between movie and real life.

When you are watching movie, you are always outside it. It's like seeing the world and other people's life through a windows. When you are playing in VR, you step into the world, and you are part of other people's life.

The ultimate goal of VR is to become life itself, to become another life, a new life, a life better than ours. Isn't that what we want? How can one resist that?

2 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

When you are watching movie, you are always outside it. It's like seeing the world and other people's life through a windows.

Not if it is a well crafted movie, and especially a well crafted movie viewed on an Imax screen. A truly well made movie can draw you right into it.

Take for example the use of the dolly zoom in movies, epitomised perhaps most famously in the shot of Roy Scheider in Jaws, when he realises a shark is attacking the people in the water; a shot actually invented long before being employed for that moment in Jaws, by the second unit cinematographer on Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo - Irmin Roberts - in order to convey Jimmie Stewart's loss of balance at height. That's not really something you could very easily do in VR.

Although that camera shot in the movie Jaws (and Vertigo) is often touted as the one worthy of note for telling the story, it would be a disservice to the entire movie to attribute its genius to that one shot alone. The entire movie is pretty much a masterclass in how one can utilise skilled cinematography and editing, and indeed the soundtrack, to show rather than tell a tale in, a fashion which absolutely will draw you into that world.

This is the reason why that movie propelled Spielberg into the big league of film directors, because it can draw you in so well. It's no surprise that Jaws made over fifty times its budget at the box office, and it's made way more than that in VHS, DVD Blue Ray and Digital Download revenue since then.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Not if it is a well crafted movie, and especially a well crafted movie viewed on an Imax screen. A truly well made movie can draw you right into it.

But in VR you can look behind you and see the shark coming 

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!

28 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

This is true.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just now, Chock said:

This is true.

But honestly, the shock factor would be gone for such a classic though 😞

Porting a game designed primarily for display on a monitor does not make the game a VR game. VR games have to be designed for the ground up to take advantage of the unique perspective. Playing a port over and playing a true VR game are completely difference experiences. I doubt MS is going to be able to create wow factor trying to port FS to VR. They would need to rewrite the graphics to specifically take advantage of the hardware.

• Upvote 1

DCS was also not built for VR and they did a great job. 

Btw, as long as you are 'stepping into the world' with diving goggles, the realism is still noticeable restricted.

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

DCS was also not built for VR and they did a great job. 

Btw, as long as you are 'stepping into the world' with diving goggles, the realism is still noticeable restricted.

Try Pimax 8K+/8KX. 

5 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

a new life, a life better than ours. Isn't that what we want?

I wouldn't say that!

I am quite happy with my life and my lot.

sure its not perfect but if it was I'd have nothing to contend with.

Virtual Reality is about experiencing thing as close to real life that you will perhaps never

actually get to do in Reality. Like fly a Boeing 737 or drive in an F1 race.

It's also invaluable for training or getting Prepar3D😆 for something in real life.

But better than your own Reality? Nah, don't settle for that.😉

7 hours ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

The ultimate goal of VR is to become life itself, to become another life, a new life, a life better than ours.

Don't hold your breathe for that one! I don't imagine even several generations of VR will make the virtual world look like real life exactly as our eyes see it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

6 hours ago, Casualcas said:

But when you look down and don't see your own legs, you'll die of shock thinking he already got you...

• Like 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

6 hours ago, Chock said:

Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo

My mother was astonished at my comment 'that's the best movie I've ever seen' after I'd seen Vertigo for the first time when I was a young teenager. I don't think it had anything to do with any natural acumen as film critique. It probably had more to do Kim Novak 😁. She thought she'd never hear me say anything other than, 'Star Wars is my favourite movie". But truth be told even today when anyone asks what my favourite movie is, I still say, 'Vertigo'. Not specifically because of Kim Novak anymore even though its still because of Kim Novak, but simply because it is indeed objectively speaking the best movie ever made.

My wife and I stayed in the room in the hotel when it was still The York, where Scottie realized Judy wasn't just a double for Madeleine but in fact was Madeleine.😨 I found myself looking at my wife in that room thinking, this woman has fooled me many time.😒

Yeah I asked for that in the "ask for thread back in October" lol I'm ahead of you