Sign in to follow this  
aaronkia

Running P3D twice at the same time

Hello all,

The title says it all but just wondering if there is any way of running two P3D windows at the same time? My thinking is to have one with a long haul flight happening and the second open to do some short haul flights to pass the time. 

Thanks in advance for any info,

Aaron Kia

Fairly strong but I believe if you have one of the windows minimised then the flight still technically runs in the background but without using (almost) any of your computer's resources because it wont be loading scenery in any detail 

Sure there is, you can buy two licenses for P3D, which is what I did. That way I can have it on my desktop and my laptop.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Alan but not looking to buy another license. I'd like to run it on the same computer at the same time 

Not possible. When you try to start it the second time you will get an error message that another instance of P3D is allready running., 

Edited by JJJackson
  • Like 1

Yup, I know. But I'd say that was two instances of the software running. Although I suppose is a bit of a grey area as far as the EULA is concerned. If you could find a computer capable of running the same single copy of the software in two instances, the license states you can: 'use the Software anywhere in the world, but only on no more than one computer; and only by no more than one user at any one time', so it depends on whether one person who is using two instances of the same software on a single computer (assuming you could find a way to do that), would be classed as more than one user.

Perhaps instead, you might run a copy of FSX at the same time? Since I presume you have that too.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Yup, I know. But I'd say that was two instances of the software running. Although I suppose is a bit of a grey area as far as the EULA is concerned. If you could find a computer capable of running the same single copy of the software in two instances, the license states you can: 'use the Software anywhere in the world, but only on no more than one computer; and only by no more than one user at any one time', so it depends on whether one person who is using two instances of the same software on a single computer (assuming you could find a way to do that), would be classed as more than one user.

Perhaps instead, you might run a copy of FSX at the same time? Since I presume you have that too.

Hmmm you're right, I guess they've made it hard to do because of the licensing reasons. I'm sure there must be a way of tricking the task manager somehow.. in the past I've loaded up two of the same P3D licenses before simultaneously (entirely unintentional) so it's possible but I'm sure someone fair better skilled at computers than myself would know how to do it.

Unfortunately FSX has long been absent from my computer now for quite some time, oh well!

Thanks for your replies anyway 🙂 

I have not tried it, but maybe start a second copy on a virtual machine - like VMware player

Guess you will need at least  32Gb ram

Edited by willy647

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Perhaps instead, you might run a copy of FSX at the same time?

The same error message is the result. Each of them sees the other as itself, already running.

X Plane 11 on the other hand, will run along with FSX, P3D or Aerofly and probably all other simulators too. So perhaps the solution is a copy of X Plane 11.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1