Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Need some advice...

Thanks Kevin. I am investigating a multithreaded blocking situation in Win10 that can affect P3D v4. At the moment I recommend if you use an AM for P3D make sure to use the core zero. I can't go into detail.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

9 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Thanks Kevin. I am investigating a multithreaded blocking situation in Win10 that can affect P3D v4. At the moment I recommend if you use an AM for P3D make sure to use the core zero. I can't go into detail.

Do you mean an AM ending in 01, rather than 10?

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

Good point. Go for '01' on the right of the HT enabled AM in P3D. Not sure who is affected.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 1

Sue, I was running out of room on my current 1GB boot drive with P3Dv3 AND all of the P3Dv3/FSX  Orbx scenery installed.  Everything!

But after migrating the Orbx scenery to my D drive I have 40% of my boot drive free again.

My new system will have a 2GB boot drive so since this computer is going to be dedicated to P3Dv4 plus my e-mail and Word perfect I don't really see a problem.  I will still have a bit more than 1GB or 50% of the drive free.  And if in a decade or so, when I am 96 years old and probably won't care, I start running out of room I can always migrate the Orbx scenery to the 2GB storage drive.

Now the question becomes what advantages are there to installing P3D on an SSD as opposed to an HDD?  I would assume the performance would be better on the SSD.  Or doesn't it make a difference at all?

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

6 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

It will load a little bit faster, basically, that's all.

A lot faster... and it is a lot quieter :cool:

Bert

Going back maybe 6 years or so, many PCs had a small SSD and a large HDD. The advise to put the sim straight onto the HDD (avoid C) was fairly good advice back then. I agree with Sue on these circumstances, especially with the less experienced user of FSX and P3D. However a lot of addons, none the less, went straight into the user area on C anyway, and would need to be moved or would fill the SSD that way. What we do with P3D when requiring a large addon to be moved onto another drive, maybe photo scenery, is to use the add-on.xml path to point to the new location. With more recent PCs we have bigger SSDs and we can decide if we can manage the stock install into that SSD. The problem I see on the forums is that advice has kind of stuck in the past a little on that size issue. There's always been a way to use an alternate drive for addons or move parts of the sim install too FSX and P3D. We don't have to make a partition to get another drive letter to avoid access problems of some addons. We don't have to avoid program files we can set the Modify allow if we want to. Advice to make folders and drives to avoid access problems can end in problems of their own making. One example is accidentally installing in the root. When ticking the Modify allow box, there's nothing in there that can upset the system, ticking the wrong box won't make anything go wrong:

P3DUsersGroup.jpg

When the Modify Allow box is ticked the Write Allow box is automatically ticked for us. This is the proper way to avoid access issues in the protected exe area Program Files folders. Full control is not required.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:32 AM, birdguy said:

Now the question becomes what advantages are there to installing P3D on an SSD as opposed to an HDD?

If you are buying Dell's option of a 2TB SSD and 2TB HDD, then you will want to install your applications on the SSD.  It is a NVMe SSD (about 3000MB/s reads and writes) rather than the SSD most folks are familiar with (SATA... about 500MB/s reads and writes).  As Sue noted, performance (however that is defined) will not be better but load times will be shockingly faster if you install apps on the NVMe drive of your new computer.  I would not bother installing anything sim associated on the new HDD.  Consider using it only for storage of your personal files.

Good luck and have fun,

Greg

• Like 1