Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

2020 Still using anti-virus software

I use Kaspersky and Malwarebyte (the free one). I never had any problems with either one of them.

• Upvote 1

Norton AV is a virus on its own - good luck getting rid of it.

I'm surprised anyone puts it on their computer?

• Like 1

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.

1 hour ago, B1900 said:

Norton AV is a virus on its own - good luck getting rid of it.

I'm surprised anyone puts it on their computer?

Old habits die hard.  For years it was a very good one.  But I agree.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Exactly - ironic that nowadays, anti-virus programs now exhibit the very behavior they try to "protect" you from.

I used Norton Antivirus for many years, and the issues just kept building up.  When Apple iOS started getting major market share, Microsoft finally realized they needed to do something serious or they'd be out of the OS market within a matter of years.   That is when I saw Windows Defender get a lot better.

Thanks,

Mark Trainer

In my experience, Norton Antivirus has always been a PITA.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Used Norton's for years now on Norton`s 360 never disable for downloads no problem if it flags something I check and override, just like any software you install you control it otherwise you will get problems. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

46 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Used Norton's for years now on Norton`s 360 never disable for downloads no problem if it flags something I check and override, just like any software you install you control it otherwise you will get problems. 

Exactly. I've used Norton for many years. Now on Norton 360 Premium. I have it installed on 3 PCs and 4 iOS devices. I use exclusions and scheduling. I do disable the auto protect and turn on Silent Mode on my flight sim PC when I fly (very easy to do, I also pause OneDrive and DropBox, the process takes me less than 30 secs). The VPN on Norton is great when I travel.

• Upvote 1

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

2 hours ago, bbuckley said:

Exactly. I've used Norton for many years. Now on Norton 360 Premium. I have it installed on 3 PCs and 4 iOS devices. I use exclusions and scheduling. I do disable the auto protect and turn on Silent Mode on my flight sim PC when I fly (very easy to do, I also pause OneDrive and DropBox, the process takes me less than 30 secs). The VPN on Norton is great when I travel.

Yes I have 2 desktop PC one for general family use and my FS PC and laptops my iPhone has 360 and the included VPN. 

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/02/14/500_chrome_extensions_removed/

Edited by rjfry
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Used it once 15 years ago and regretted the minute I installed it.

I run naked - everything off and rarely had an issue. There was only 1 instance that was completely my fault doing stuff at 0100.

• Upvote 1

http://www.ruscool.co.nzBanner_MJC5.png05_10_2012_14_25_54_C-GLXV_New_Paint_Apr

P3D 4.5:), X-Plane 11.55:(, MSFS 2020:), MJC Q400, Saab 340A, CRJ550, B1900, X-Crafts ERJ/EMB; Win 10x64, 32GB Ram, Samsung drives, RTX 3070 GPU, 5.3 Ghz Intel 1200. Turboprops and RJ's only.

I have been using Norton for more than 10 years, Norton is not a program or antivirus that you install and forget, you have to know -in my case by experience, searching and help from Norton- how to use it properly, when you do you're well protected, safe and everything is running smoothly, what I like about it, is the continuous maintenance it does to your PC, a small trick, when you download and install a software turn off sonar and virus detection then exclude the folders you installed your software on from sonar and virus detection as well and you're good to go for years without a single problem.........

• Upvote 1

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Alaaar. Not always that simple. I’ve had certain programs that were installed just the way you do above and then excluded their directories. Only to have norton decide on its own years later it no longer liked the program and it would then decide to kill it. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Used Norton for 15+ years and never had a problem after excluding Folders/Programs from both scans and sonar detection. I have tried others on a couple of occasions but switched back to Norton. It won't be for everybody but it's OK for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

On 2/17/2020 at 4:21 PM, micstatic said:

Old habits die hard.  For years it was a very good one.  But I agree.  

Hope you stopped also tweaking HIMEM.SYS 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png