Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Affordable higher resolution yoke/throttle?

Hello,

I'm on my second Saitek type yoke and throttle as the first one branded Cessna wore out.  This throttle has poor control resolution it seems to me and recalibrating thru something like FSUIPC doesn't help as I'm pretty sure the poor resolution is in the hardware.   With the Emb Phenom 300 I see I can only get 0.5% increments when what's called for is 0.1% resolution.  What's a crazy person need to spend for something with far better feel and behavior (finer resolution if that is possible) than the Saitek or CH products offer? I don't need pedals or any other hardware just the next tier up in yoke/throttle w/ programmable buttons.  Thanks in advance.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 minutes ago, Noel said:

Hello,

I'm on my second Saitek type yoke and throttle as the first one branded Cessna wore out.  This throttle has poor control resolution it seems to me and recalibrating thru something like FSUIPC doesn't help as I'm pretty sure the poor resolution is in the hardware.   With the Emb Phenom 300 I see I can only get 0.5% increments when what's called for is 0.1% resolution.  What's a crazy person need to spend for something with far better feel and behavior (finer resolution if that is possible) than the Saitek or CH products offer? I don't need pedals or any other hardware just the next tier up in yoke/throttle w/ programmable buttons.  Thanks in advance.

If you don't want to spend close to $1000 I would say the two leading candidates are the Fulcrum and Honeycomb yokes. More info here:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/543272-fulcrum-yoke-demonstrated-at-cosford-fs-show/

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/567776-honeycomb-yoke-is-it-worth-it-if-so-best-place-to-buy/

Al

Wheel I'll hazard a guess that'll be the Honeycomb.

I don't have one myself but the word on the street is that is pretty good

and superior to saitek or CH. It doesn't have HALL sensors (I believe they are called)

But I pretty sure with HALL sensors you are getting in the several hundred dollar range

whereas the Honeycomb is in the couple of Hundred+ dollar range.

When I get around to buying a Yoke and for that matter it will be Honeycomb.

I won't be looking at another Saitek/Logitech unless something new comes along in that brand

which give the forthcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator I suppose is possible.

Honeycomb looks and reviews well, but I understand it has a stronger detent on the elevator axis than does the Saitek, which seems less desirable to me, but everyone likes it it seems.  I'm actually ok for the time being w/ my yoke but will consider this guy when it comes time to replace the Saitek which is under a year old.  What I really would like to see if their upcoming Bravo Throttle Quad which looks fabulous.  I wonder if it's any higher resolution potentiometer than the Saitek's throttle axis--if it isn't don't need it.

Thanks all.  If money is no object for a well buttoned yoke and throttle quadrant, what are we looking at here?  Best featured, coolest, money no object ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

35 minutes ago, Noel said:

Honeycomb looks and reviews well, but I understand it has a stronger detent on the elevator axis than does the Saitek, which seems less desirable to me, but everyone likes it it seems.  

The return to center of the Honeycomb is not vastly different than the aerodynamic forces at work in say a 172.  The issue for me is the lack in my controls of a realistic trim wheel.  With the Honeycomb quadrant not yet out, I use a pair of Saitek/Logitech quadrants, which lack such a trim wheel.  I have tried to configure the left-most switch on the yoke for trim, but it just seems too difficult to accurately use for say climb-out adjustment.  It is better suited to making fine adjustments when in level flight.  

The upcoming Honeycomb quadrant may resolve that issue, but it is not available yet, and still I fly......

The yoke itself is of high quality and finish and has a great feel.  I however do not have that high of an opinion on the switches on the yoke handles itself.  Some are difficult to reach/touch or effectively control.  For example the small white buttons (for lack of a better description) on both the left and right handles are smaller and lower than the larger switches that seem to "guard" them.  I find them somewhat awkward.  Still getting used to the switches and buttons.  Those on the yoke console are fine.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I modded my two Saitek Throttles using a Leo Bodnar Board to get a 12 Bit Resolution...So instead of 0-255 I have a range of 0-4096....

Also with the extra inputs I added some encoders for Trim Wheels on Elevator and rudder.

• Like 2

Les O'Reilly

8 hours ago, Noel said:

What's a crazy person need to spend for something with far better feel and behavior (finer resolution if that is possible) than the Saitek or CH products offer?

Virtual Fly TQ6. It costs 600+ Euros, and that's just for the throttle quad. But it has a 12-bit resolution so ticks your box. Honeycomn and Fulctum don't have throttles, so that's not going to help. The Honeycomb yoke uses low-res A/D converters, so if its forthcoming throttle quad uses likewise, as you say, you'll still be stuck.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

6 hours ago, Noel said:

Honeycomb looks and reviews well, but I understand it has a stronger detent on the elevator axis than does the Saitek, which seems less desirable to me

This isn't an accurate description. The Honeycomb yoke has no detent in the middle of either axis, so in that respect is entirely different to (and superior to) either of the Saitek yokes. It does centre much more assertively in pitch, which not everyone likes.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thanks all very much!  Sounds like the TQ6Plus solves the main complaints and sells for around $800 US.  Fulcrum it appears has not released their yoke but if n when it's listed at l around $520 US and has hall effect sensors as well so for around $1300 can get the whole package.  Or, pick up Honeycomb and TC6Plus for around $750.   I told myself I was going to splurge for the first time in 25y with buying a new PC from Digital Storm or other instead of buying parts and assembling myself which is what I've always done since my first build.  If I do it again myself the money saved can go towards these wonderful controllers ;o)

Noel

15 hours ago, fppilot said:

The issue for me is the lack in my controls of a realistic trim wheel. 

You do know that Saitek did produce a separate trim wheel, right..?

55 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

I have the Cessna trim wheel and it has a very nice feel but I think the bit resolution isn't tops.  I used it for a while but had some trouble getting consistent behavior out of it and I may just never had set it up correctly.  But as I say it has a lovely feel to turning it and it was nice to work w/ the left hand during landings etc.  I ended up going back to one of the rocker switches on the yoke console.  

Noel

10 hours ago, MarkDH said:

The Honeycomb yoke uses low-res A/D converters, so if its forthcoming throttle quad uses likewise, as you say, you'll still be stuck.

Let's hope they use better A/D converters.   By now, 2020, 12-bit converters must be a dime a dozen!

Noel

5 hours ago, Mgard78 said:

Yes. Very much aware.  It has been discontinued and the eBay prices are as much as a new yoke.....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, fppilot said:

Yes. Very much aware.  It has been discontinued and the eBay prices are as much as a new yoke.....

So then your issue isn’t a lack of controls, it’s more a lack of money 🤣

Just now, Mgard78 said:

So then your issue isn’t a lack of controls, it’s more a lack of money 🤣

No.  What I have is a keen sense of value.  I see the emoji, but your comment is not appreciated.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS