Sign in to follow this  
FLYBOYSWA2900

Cockpit Windows

Hey everyone! So quick question, I have been flying a lot lately on some of the big boys like 737-700, -800, and had an opportunity to sit in one of the smaller boys, a Challenger 350! But something always struck me about these cockpits, it's the windows. They are so slim! They have a lot less viewing area than I have expected! (Then again the seat wasn't adjusted to my height of 5'7) I fly Cessna 150, and 172, and those windshields are very large! But my instructors old 1965 Mooney M20C, also had some tiny little front cockpit windows. Any chance someone can give me the reason as to why they seem so much smaller? Thanks,

Alec.

It's only the side windows on the Challenger that are so small. Don't know why they are that small, but they are big enough to do visual approaches etc. It's only the (rather useless) downward viz that's restricted. 

The windshields are of a more 'conventional' size, even on the Challenger, but generally you want the windshields to be as small as possible to minimize drag and to increase structural strength.  

The correct seat height is important for optimum viz and the cut-off angle in the Challenger and other jets is e.g. a lot greater than in e.g. a C-210 or C-182.

Edited by FDEdev

1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

It's only the side windows on the Challenger that are so small. Don't know why they are that small, but they are big enough to do visual approaches etc. It's only the (rather useless) downward viz that's restricted. 

The windshields are of a more 'conventional' size, even on the Challenger, but generally you want the windshields to be as small as possible to minimize drag and to increase structural strength.  

The correct seat height is important for optimum viz and the cut-off angle in the Challenger and other jets is e.g. a lot greater than in e.g. a C-210 or C-182.

Oh ok! That makes sense! For drag and structure would make sense! Yeah those side windows on the challenger are tiny little guys! It looks cool though! Thanks for the detailed answer!

Looks definitely cool, but I disliked the tiny windows on the CRJ.  The 'slightly' bigger windows on the 767 were a dream. 🙂

Especially since you can open the windows on most 'real' jets. Not possible on Challengers, CRJs etc.

Edited by FDEdev

7 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Looks definitely cool, but I disliked the tiny windows on the CRJ.  The 'slightly' bigger windows on the 767 were a dream. 🙂

Especially since you can open the windows on most 'real' jets. Not possible on Challengers, CRJs etc.

Funny you mention that cause I just remembered that the Challenger Jets do not have the side sliding windows for escape!? Then again, that jet is only what 3-4 feet off the ground? Whereas a 767 is like what a good 15-20?

1 hour ago, FLYBOYSWA2900 said:

Funny you mention that cause I just remembered that the Challenger Jets do not have the side sliding windows for escape!? 

Nope. On the CRJ (and e.g. the Dash 8 with very similar windows) there's an escape hatch in the cockpit roof. Much worse than using a window for escape.

It's amazing how small a window you can get through if fire is motivating you to do so!

• Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

7 hours ago, Chock said:

It's amazing how small a window you can get through if fire is motivating you to do so!

especially down the rope...  on a slight tangent we have a problem at Virgin on our new 350's with the F/D windows cracking.  Nothing is ever simple is it

14ppkc-6.png

Yet another good point for the much maligned DC-10 and more so it's MD-11 offspring..:cool:

They had huge cockpit glazing - certainly the side windows... :tongue:, and like other "real" jets, the forward side windows opened.. 

Mind you, Concorde was a real jet and she had relatively small cockpit windows, but speed and engineering excellence had its price. :wink:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

One of the distinctive features of the Citation, that has massive cockpit windows!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

On 2/17/2020 at 9:15 PM, Captain Kevin said:

Yeah, I've always thought the Boeing 737-800 had quite a small windshield. Even my Kenworth T680 has a larger windshield than that.

True! However I do like the look of the smaller windows. Makes the cockpit look and feel more closed in which I love!