Jump to content

FLYBOYSWA2900

Cockpit Windows

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! So quick question, I have been flying a lot lately on some of the big boys like 737-700, -800, and had an opportunity to sit in one of the smaller boys, a Challenger 350! But something always struck me about these cockpits, it's the windows. They are so slim! They have a lot less viewing area than I have expected! (Then again the seat wasn't adjusted to my height of 5'7) I fly Cessna 150, and 172, and those windshields are very large! But my instructors old 1965 Mooney M20C, also had some tiny little front cockpit windows. Any chance someone can give me the reason as to why they seem so much smaller? Thanks,

Alec.

Share this post


Link to post

It's only the side windows on the Challenger that are so small. Don't know why they are that small, but they are big enough to do visual approaches etc. It's only the (rather useless) downward viz that's restricted. 

The windshields are of a more 'conventional' size, even on the Challenger, but generally you want the windshields to be as small as possible to minimize drag and to increase structural strength.  

The correct seat height is important for optimum viz and the cut-off angle in the Challenger and other jets is e.g. a lot greater than in e.g. a C-210 or C-182.

Edited by FDEdev

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FDEdev said:

It's only the side windows on the Challenger that are so small. Don't know why they are that small, but they are big enough to do visual approaches etc. It's only the (rather useless) downward viz that's restricted. 

The windshields are of a more 'conventional' size, even on the Challenger, but generally you want the windshields to be as small as possible to minimize drag and to increase structural strength.  

The correct seat height is important for optimum viz and the cut-off angle in the Challenger and other jets is e.g. a lot greater than in e.g. a C-210 or C-182.

Oh ok! That makes sense! For drag and structure would make sense! Yeah those side windows on the challenger are tiny little guys! It looks cool though! Thanks for the detailed answer!

Share this post


Link to post

Looks definitely cool, but I disliked the tiny windows on the CRJ.  The 'slightly' bigger windows on the 767 were a dream. 🙂

Especially since you can open the windows on most 'real' jets. Not possible on Challengers, CRJs etc.

Edited by FDEdev

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Looks definitely cool, but I disliked the tiny windows on the CRJ.  The 'slightly' bigger windows on the 767 were a dream. 🙂

Especially since you can open the windows on most 'real' jets. Not possible on Challengers, CRJs etc.

Funny you mention that cause I just remembered that the Challenger Jets do not have the side sliding windows for escape!? Then again, that jet is only what 3-4 feet off the ground? Whereas a 767 is like what a good 15-20?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, FLYBOYSWA2900 said:

Funny you mention that cause I just remembered that the Challenger Jets do not have the side sliding windows for escape!? 

Nope. On the CRJ (and e.g. the Dash 8 with very similar windows) there's an escape hatch in the cockpit roof. Much worse than using a window for escape.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

It's amazing how small a window you can get through if fire is motivating you to do so!

  • Like 4

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Chock said:

It's amazing how small a window you can get through if fire is motivating you to do so!

especially down the rope...  on a slight tangent we have a problem at Virgin on our new 350's with the F/D windows cracking.  Nothing is ever simple is it


 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    5%
    $1,290.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...