Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Flight1 GTN Complete problems

Just a thought, have you checked the Flight1 update tool on your desktop, it should be ver 1.17 and in the list the :- 'Prepar3D 4.5 13.32097'

bob

10 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

There are a number of GTN users that are complaining at the Flight1 forum and not getting any satisfaction.. 

Personally, I have given up on Flight1 (after using their gauges for many years) and switched all my airplanes to RXP.  Don't know what has happened at Flight1, but their product quality and user support seem to have evaporated..

I couldn't agree more. I too have purchased stuff from Flight1 for years. But no more. The GTN is, IMNSHO, a real POS.....Doug

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

11 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

There are a number of GTN users that are complaining at the Flight1 forum and not getting any satisfaction.. 

Personally, I have given up on Flight1 (after using their gauges for many years) and switched all my airplanes to RXP.  Don't know what has happened at Flight1, but their product quality and user support seem to have evaporated..

Same here. I stopped buying from them quite some time ago.

13 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

I have downloaded this programme many times through the Purchase Agent, and every time I do so, I follow up with a download of the Garmin GTN trainers. After set up and install, when I load A P3D, GTN equipped aircraft I get, firstly, a box telling me that "Cannot find MSVCR120.dll.  Please reinstall this application The box is labelled Themida" This does not tell me which programme needs to be reinstalled, but I have read that if it is indeed, Themida, it is not really a great programme to have on ones system. If it is Themida, which programme is installing it (unbeknownst to me) ie Flight1 or Garmin and whichever it is putting it there, is it absolutely necessary?. I cannot for the life of me find it on my system so I cannot uninstall it.

Themida is an encryption "packer" that creates self-extracting executables which obscure the code packed within them...it is legitimately used by the Flight1 wrapper, but it is also used by writers of malware to hide malicious code.  Many antiviruses flag it and/or deal with it as malware because they are simply unable to identify what's inside the encrypted package.

If you're seeing references to Themida, especially in conjunction with missing modules, it's very likely that your AV software is interfering with the installation.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Good info there, Bob.  As usual, CEP of 0.

I'd like to provide some perspective here.  I manage the iFly support forums for Flight 1 and now am taking on some additional responsibility in SimForums .

The GTN is not my responsibility as the developer provides support.  The Flight 1-hosted GTN Support forum allows direct communication with the developer, who will also provide support to users by email.

All Tony need do is raise his issue in a post at the GTN support forum:  https://www.simforums.com/forums/f1-gtn-gns-g500600-series-support-forum_forum54.html 

Jim Harnes

Flight 1 Support

19 minutes ago, Jim Harnes said:

All Tony need do is raise his issue in a post at the GTN support forum:  https://www.simforums.com/forums/f1-gtn-gns-g500600-series-support-forum_forum54.html 

Where he will just get fobbed off with the usual "it's probably your hardware", which is what I got - funny how RXP's version doesn't have either of the two terminal issues that the Flight1 version has then - not switching on (extremely common going by the forums) or complete system hang.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

6 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Gary,

If that is the case why are they not referring the Flight1 product to the developer, or whoever wrte the programme in the first place.

In a nutshell, I want to support Flight1 in exactly the same manner as they have supported me.

Regards

Tony

Ask for a refund.

Bert

Sorry Tony you're having so much trouble with the F1 GTN.  Sounds like you're doing your "due diligence" during install.  If this helps at all, I'm another who recently moved to RXP.  Of course, assistance (both from Jean-Luc and members here) has been great, and the RXP products are really pretty easy to configure (can be done from an .ini that is a simple text file.  Easy, peasy!).  Even the purchase through that archaic, offensive F1 payment process went well for me!

Good luck,

Greg

I had a few problems with it in the early days of use and updating can be a bit of a pain at times but certainly not any issues of late (since April 2019) and of those issues I did have people on the forum were quite helpful.

And if the Garmin Trainer is not working then I think you'll still have issues with the other version anyway because doesn't it also require the Garmin Trainer installed and working too?

The last prob I had was where I identified an ongoing problem with microsoft's Visual C++ installers. You'll need to be logged in to see the post.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/gtn-wont-install-visual-c-2017-x64-problem_topic61475_post391815.html?KW=#391815

Also Google returned this link on a first page result.

https://superuser.com/questions/1163409/msvcp120-dll-and-msvcr120-dll-are-missing

Make me feel the issues are local, e.g. antimalware preventing a full install (as stated by W6kd)

Additionally I have the GTN Trainer installed quite successfully outside of the Program Files directories.

Edited by Rogen
Addendum

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Hello all,

Thank you all, so very much, for such a wonderful response.

I shall try to address each respondent.

1. Onebob

"Just a thought, have you checked the Flight1 update tool on your desktop, it should be ver 1.17 and in the list the :- 'Prepar3D 4.5 13.32097'

bob

I am downloading the Purchase Agent on an almost daily basis. As you know this includes the updater. To be honest, I have no idea what version it is. Surely the latest version of the tool should include the latest version of the updater. In any case, I have, in fact, run the update tool.

2. W2DR

"I couldn't agree more. I too have purchased stuff from Flight1 for years. But no more. The GTN is, IMNSHO, a real POS.....Doug"

I do not necessarily agree with this. I have actually used it and enjoyed it about a year ago.I had it installed and used it in the Carenado Phenom 300 via Bert Piekes' famous panel config mod. I do not though, for one minute, state, or mean to imply, that it ever worked properly. It was downloaded and installed using the now defunct red install wrapper. I think that this may have been replaced because it actually functioned correctly(tongue in cheek)

3. newtie

Enough said I guess.

4.W6kd

Themida is an encryption "packer" that creates self-extracting executables which obscure the code packed within them...it is legitimately used by the Flight1 wrapper, but it is also used by writers of malware to hide malicious code.  Many antiviruses flag it and/or deal with it as malware because they are simply unable to identify what's inside the encrypted package.

If you're seeing references to Themida, especially in conjunction with missing modules, it's very likely that your AV software is interfering with the installation."

I actually read up on this and discovered, to my horror, that most people agreed that it contained access tpoints for malware within itself and was a "not recommended" install.

My problem was that I could not find it on my system, and therefore, I could not uninstall it. Secondly, and probably more important, is that Avira was disabled before the download of the Purchase Agent. I cannot see how it was able to disrupt or corrupt anything.  I secondly cannot understand, why, if the Devs know about this problem, why THEY do not do something about it in the first instance and not rely on consumers to endure the burden of adjusting other software to fit theirs. Disabling Avira, though is not an onerous task ... it is just the principal. Maybe eventually, Devs will require us to uninstall antivirus programmes in order to install their software, before re-installing antivirus. Apart from this, Antivirus is there to prevent malware and virus being downloaded with anybodys software. Sort of defeats the purpose of antivirus, don't you think?

I do, however get your point and I thank you for this information. Personally, I do not want Themida on my system and I was very happy being word not allowed of the fact that it is/was on my system.

5. Jim,

"I'd like to provide some perspective here.  I manage the iFly support forums for Flight 1 and now am taking on some additional responsibility in SimForums .

The GTN is not my responsibility as the developer provides support.  The Flight 1-hosted GTN Support forum allows direct communication with the developer, who will also provide support to users by email.

All Tony need do is raise his issue in a post at the GTN support forum:  https://www.simforums.com/forums/f1-gtn-gns-g500600-series-support-forum_forum54.html

Firstly, that sounds like a promotion so perhaps Congratulations are in order.

Secondly, you have previously been of incredible help to me personally and I very much respect your opinion.

I very firmly believe that the issue which needs to be addressed, is the Purchase Agent tool.  As previously advised, I have downloaded this many, many times. Each time it is downloaded it is run and installed in "run as adminstrator" mode. Antivirus (Avira) is disabled. Then I run the Update tool (as administrator). After downloading the tool, every time, when I go to the Library to download the actual GTN product, I am getting two(2) script errors. I have no idea what effect this has on the actual download, but I get various errors when downloading, ie download contains errors or download is incomplete etc. That in itself, seems at odds with any advice I am getting from Flight1 which tells me that it is Avast or AVG (which I do not have) causing the problem and points out the path to exclude the GTN product from those programmes. If indeed, as I suspect, the purchase tool is the problem, going to the forum is not, I believe, going to solve that problem. This issue, as I see it starts with Flight1 and not the Dev at this stage. Also, just looking at that forum is daunting with what I perceive as a large amout of whinges about much the same thing and most not resolved. I guess that covers Gazzareths post too. LOL

6. Bert,

I have already asked for a refund. However, given that I have owned (not used extensively and certainly not for a very long time for reasons stated above) it for quite a while, they understandably decline my request, whilst basically telling me that their product was fine and faultless, it was a problem with my system (as was repeatedly pointed out) and not their responsibility (inferred) A long shot at best, but worth a try.

7. Greg,

Sorry Tony you're having so much trouble with the F1 GTN.  Sounds like you're doing your "due diligence" during install.  If this helps at all, I'm another who recently moved to RXP.  Of course, assistance (both from Jean-Luc and members here) has been great, and the RXP products are really pretty easy to configure (can be done from an .ini that is a simple text file.  Easy, peasy!).  Even the purchase through that archaic, offensive F1 payment process went well for me!

I do not have a problem with RXP and in fact, have an admiration for Jean-Luc. He seems to jump on each and every issue with reckless abandon and great alacrity. I note very few, if any, unresolved issues. THAT, just makes me more madderer, LOL because it convinces me that I paid too much money for the wrong GTN

8, Rogen,

"The last prob I had was where I identified an ongoing problem with microsoft's Visual C++ installers. You'll need to be logged in to see the post."

This was another issue for me too.  Each time, I downloaded the GTN and installed it, the programme required Visual c++. I must have downloaded and installed that particular problem at least 20 times, and, I still had problems.

Guys, in summary, I cannot see the point in proceeding to forums until the Purchase agent is sorted out.  I have looked for an alternative source for downloading the Purchase agent, but cannot find one.  I have also looked at getting a direct download of the GTN product, but everything is pointed at the dreaded purchase obstacle.

I cannot see what it is that I am doing incorrectly, but if Flight1 is blameless and faultless, it is obviously my fault. As further stated, elsewhere in this post, if RXP GTN750 is only available via Flight1, then Jean-Luc has lost a sale. I will not support giving Flight1 any further sort of compensation or commission as a reward for the support I have been given. 

I will get in touch with Jean-Luc and see if there is any alternative for buying his product.

Thanks again to you al, for your input and suggestions. Anything further is obviously going to be appreciated.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

8, Rogen,

"The last prob I had was where I identified an ongoing problem with microsoft's Visual C++ installers. You'll need to be logged in to see the post."

This was another issue for me too.  Each time, I downloaded the GTN and installed it, the programme required Visual c++. I must have downloaded and installed that particular problem at least 20 times, and, I still had problems.

Guys, in summary, I cannot see the point in proceeding to forums until the Purchase agent is sorted out.  I have looked for an alternative source for downloading the Purchase agent, but cannot find one.  I have also looked at getting a direct download of the GTN product, but everything is pointed at the dreaded purchase obstacle.

The C++ version issue was nothing to do with Flight1 or the GTN, it was Microsoft breaking their own installer/updater.

The GTN forum post I made gives the details, mostly technical but the simple fix was essentually to perform a repair on the C++ install from "Programs and Features". In anycase Microsoft have proably fixed their current installer/updater (or broken it again).

Yes programs are often not plain English when it comes to error messages.

And an application asking for MSVCR120.dll means either the installed C++ runtime is missing or is an incorrect version.

https://superuser.com/questions/1163409/msvcp120-dll-and-msvcr120-dll-are-missing

From what I can see Themida is a tool to help protect an application from being cracked:

https://www.oreans.com/index.php

Sure it could be used to deliver a malware package, but so could a simple javascript webpage file.

e.g. you visit a webpage, bang! you're infected and didn't need to do anything.

Click a link in an email, bang! you're infected.

Same for email attachements, open a doc file, bang! you're infected...

Fortunatelly though protections are much better these days, links are typically safety checked and good animalware can catch most stuff.

I say most because I've seen items get though where a developer had downloaded a cracked program and totally infected his machine - I had to wipe and re-image it. Same for a project manager, the AV didn't detect the infection but the network monitoring toolset noted excessive and non-normal outgoing comms packets and then auto isolated her machine - again a reimage was required to restore the machine.

As for the Flight one Purchase Tool, the Download history shows the last item downloaded and will need to be cleared to download the same or newer version. To download  first delete and then proceed to download the item again.

If you want to keep a copy of the already downloaded version, just open the F1 settings page and use the cache browse button to locate the downloaded item and then backup the installer to a new location (copy/paste in Explorer).

For Example, my cache for the GTN installer is C:\Users\account_name\Downloads\Flight1Purchase\flt1sf\

Also your post prompted myself to review my own F1 GTN install and there was a newer version available (v2.13) in the F1 purchase tool.

I backed up my current v2.12 GTN installer, deleted the installer out of the F1 purchase tool and downloaded the new F1 GTN Installer.

Ran through the process of installing the GTN, uninstalling the older Garmin Trainer and downloaded and installed the new version (Trainer is a 3GB download - took a little while to download)).

Ran the F1 updater tool and it updated to 1.17 (from 1.16).

Gave the machine a reboot.

Tested both the Trainer and the GTN in P3D and both were fine, and I used a non-standard location to install the Trainer - "E:\FSX Addons\Flight1\GTN Trainer".

Sounds like you've local issues, e.g. the Visual Studio C++ runtimes out of date and or something blocking a full and proper install, like an  antimalware package.

I have exceptions in my AV, where I do except the various locations I use for P3D from realtime scanning (those locations are still scanned via scheduled scanning). The downloading locations are protected through realtime scanning though.

The newly updated GTN:

080C3F06CE6EE0C2A680DFBF17FB3668ED15CAC4B0880B26A2A88E1C4DAD5BA71C1BADC4C33D3011

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I had the same problem and went digging in the forums. Turns out it is a redistributable problem. Run this and it should fix it. The x86 is needed to run the GTN.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=40784

https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/6/2E61CFA4-993B-4DD4-91DA-3737CD5CD6E3/vcredist_x86.exe

Don

Edited by D Nelson

Don Nelson

Hello all,

I do not know whether or not I am allowed to copy paste this message I sent to Flight1 but I am prepared to take the risk. I genuinely hope it makes sense to you all.

"

Steve,
For your information and possible further action.

1.   Uninstalled Purchase Obstacle (masquerading as Agent) and rebooted the computer.
2.   Uninstalled Flight1 GTN 750 complete and rebooted the computer.
3.   Uninstalled Garmin PC Trainer and rebooted the computer.
4.   Uninstalled Avira antivirus and rebooted the computer.
5.   Turned off Windows Defender.
6.   Checked the entire computer for Avast antivirus (never installed and subsequently never found)
7.   Checked the entire computer for AVG antivirus (never installed and subsequently never found)
8.   Downloaded the Purchase Obstacle.  v 1.0.2.4. 
9.   At the start of the installation,  the faultless Flight1 Agent started the previously mentioned script error. 
      Line 174,  Char 315. clicked on "wish to proceed" (I have automatically concluded that this is an error 
      input from my computer, because Flight1 is faultless.) Strangely though, this Purchase Agent is the only 
      programme which brings up this error. I am still seeking this error.
10. Clicking on start browsing  brought up second previously mentioned script error Line 190 Char 315, 
      clicked on "wish to proceed" (I have automatically concluded that this is an error input from my computer, 
      because Flight1 is faultless.) Strangely though, this Purchase Agent is the only programme which brings 
      up this error. I am still seeking this error, but only in my computer.
11. I proceed to my account library,  and downloaded the faultless Flight1 GTN 750 complete   Order Number 
     XXXXXXX. Flight1 Certificate XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX. Please note , that it took 11 minutes for 72mb download 
      using 50mb internet  connection.
12. downloaded and installed Garmin Pc Trainer. Configured the trainer as per the manual (please note that 
      avionics were indeed, powered on)
13. Installed the faultless Flight1 GTN 750 complete. After installation, I noted that the faultless Flight1 GTN 
      750 complete just stopped. there was no acknowledgement that the Garmin PC Trainer was installed or 
      recognized. The process just stopped.
14. After waiting 30 minutes approximately, for something to happen, I then started P3dv4.5. I then got my 
      dreaded, previously mentioned Error code 10. This is obviously a P3Dv4.5 error as the Flight1 GTN is 
      faultless. Further information ... "A key component of the (faultless) Flight1 GTN is missing It was most 
      likely deleted by your (deleted) antivirus. The file deleted is named: gtninterface.dll (obviously a P3D file
      although I am somewhat confused by the gtn reference here.. it cannot possibly be a Flight1 fault) and 
      should be located in FSX(or P3D) gauges folder. This file must be restored from the quarantine of the 
      (deleted .. and which one???) antivirus. For further information read the link below." I think I must be 
      going crazy, because I am starting to suspect the product (which I know is faultless) and not P3D, the 
      antivirus or my computer.
15. After clicking on ok to acknowledge the error code. I get an error message stating that there is a missing 
      DLLfile. This must be on my laptop because it cannot possibly be the Flight1 programme.
16. P3D opens up and I click on the RealAir Beech Duke 60 turbine (this is an aircraft) and OK x 2

17. Strangely, that pesky P3Dv4.5 has generated yet another code 10 error. (the same text as above) I might 
      have to unistall that too
18. I click on Ok to acknowledge the (P3Dv4.5) error which generates another error "Missing a DLL" I click on 
      OK
19. P3D then continues band the aircraft loads. This time however, I am not getting the "normal" Garmin PC 
      Trainer has failed to start. I do, however, have a problem in that both GTNs are black and will not turn on.

Now you may, or may, not, have detected a little sarcasm here, and, if you think that I am not royally word not allowed off with Flight1 and the GTN750 complete, you could just possbly be incorrect.
I am dismayead at the number of times I have told you about this problem and always get the same platitudes back in return. Contrary to the above, I do not believe for one minute that the problem is any of the antivirus programmes (not installed0, P3D or my computer. I think the problems begin with the Flight1 Purchase agent and end with the Flight1 GTN750. I acknowledge that you keep asking for screen shots but, I respectfully suggest that you should know what a script error is.
You should also be advised that this will be repeated vrbtim on the AVSIM forum with blanked out order number and product purchase details just in case some deranged word not allowed may want to pirate this programme and duplicate all my problems
I genuinely would like this/these problems fixed and if you can not do that, could you kindly refer it to someone who can please
Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Don,

This was one of the initial problems with the reinstall. Every time I went through the process it required me to download that file.  I got sick of that ... downloaded it manually and installed it. with the next attempt to install the GTN750 it asked again. but,eventually, it stopped requesting that to be downloaded. Only took about a week LOL 

So whatever the problems are, that is not it, I do not think.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

The GTN installer corrupts the MSVCR120.dll. This problem has been around since FSX. Mine was screwed up with this window also. I reinstalled the x86 and it worked as advertised. Or, you can PM me your email and I will send you the dll to try. Don

Edited by D Nelson

Don Nelson