Sign in to follow this  
awralls

What kind of navigation tool is used on present-day DC-9's?

Guest Ruahrc

I just a couple of days ago bought the Iron Knuckles DC-9 package for FS. The panel is pretty good and is "hardcore" with no GPS or FMC, etc. Makes the flying experience very different from the modern glass cockpit.Anyways while DC-9's in real life still retain a virtually 100% steam gauge analog cockpit, I looked on airliners.net at cockpit photos of DC-9's still in operation today and noticed that a few of the instruments have been upgraded to modern-day standards. I would like to modify my DC9 panel to reflect these changes as well. The two big changes that I notice are the installation of a TCAS system and also a modern-day navigation aid.To that end, I have downloaded and installed Lee Hetherington's excellent TCAS gauge. Now all that's left is the navigation. Again looking at airliners.net photos (specifically at Northwest Airlines' cockpits, as I plan on flying a lot of NWA routes) I can tell that something is installed on the right hand side of the pedestal (where the co-pilot's FMC typically lies) but I can't quite make out what it is. It doesn't look like a FMC (too few buttons) nor does it look like an INS (display too large). So what is it?2 alternatives to navigation I have come up with are the ACS-GPS gauge (which was recommended for use at the website: www.hilmerby.com) and the CIVA INS unit from SimuFly.com. I have downloaded both and installed the ACS-GPS on my DC9 (Planning to put the CIVA INS onto my SGA DC-10, and maybe the IK DC9 too). My question is though, is either of these units a fairly realistic representation of the way navigation is handled by modern-day DC-9 pilots? Or do they still fly "on-the-fly" tuning in and tracking VORs and NDBs as they progress along their route? I'd love to know how they do it, and how I can replicate it as best I can in the sim!ThanksRuahrc

What's used depends largely on the operator.Some may not use anything (especially in 3rd world operations) other than VORs and NDBs, others may have augmented that with a handheld GPS unit.Western operators most likely will have a complete FMC with associated MCDs installed.Anything in between those two like INS systems is also a possibility.

Guest Ruahrc

Thanks, yeah if you look on a.net at pics of DC-9 cockpits, you will notice that the DC-9's operating in asia or africa do not have the TCAS-VSI nor do they seem to have any kind of modernized FMC or GPS navigation system.But in the Northwest DC-9s you can clearly see the TCAS-VSI as well as what I finally deduced to be a Bendix/King KNS-660 FMS unit.I am still playing with options for my cockpit... I am able to "slave" the ACS-GPS to the HSI by adding in the default GPS. So long as you load the same flightplan in both the FS9 GPS and the ACS-GPS, the HSI (slaved to the default GPS) should match the route on the ACS-GPS. You have to be honest and not open the default GPS window but it will provide data for the HSI. I think the IK DC-9 panel is a little buggy here (or the ACS-GPS is interfering) though since it seems like sometimes the HSI will not slave to the GPS, but only VOR stations tuned into NAV1.Putting the ACS-GPS on the main panel view also mostly gets around the windowing problem... except even being in VC or Spot view will deactivate the ACS-GPS!Still considering other options if you have any... Maybe the INS system. What would be most realistic with regards to INS? A full-blown triple INS config? Or just a single or dual?Ruahrc