Sign in to follow this  
GeoSkyman

Bing Maps and FS2020

Anyone knows if the Bing Maps should have any update because as I noticed, it’s more than 7 years since been updated?

Google Maps are already updated at list less than a year old.

• Like 1

They said they were constantly updating, however, there‘s no public roadmap nor do they seem to be particularly active, at least as far as photogrammetry‘s concerned.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Google maps displays a higher resolution image, but as far as I know, Bing and Google use the same satellite data, it is just a difference in how often they update their respective sites and what resolution they use.  As for street views, that would be a different story and I doubt those are updated very often.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Personally, I take Bing aerial imagery as it is now, over any texture based terrain when we have it offered to us out of the box in a formal way. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Here's an article I've stumbled across on Reddit, I've certainly not seen the article before.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/30/20885197/microsoft-flight-simulator-bing-maps-hands-on-demo

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

what we have to say is that there are places in the world completely forgotten or not feasible by addon producers, for which bing has good data.

I have an example in mind, I googled, no addon producer in any simulator has anything to offer. And where Google and Bing are pretty good.

An addon producer could do something on this place but you'd have to think about it. Or do it yourself, outside of my skills or the skills of the general public...

so in a traditional simulator most of the time you just have to hope and wait... that one day an addon producer will come up with the idea to develop this location that you like and that you've already visited in real life.

And since this location bing is pretty well endowed, well in the game it will certainly be beautiful.

this place I'm thinking of is Zhangye Danxia. So if a alpha tester passes in this area I hope it will have the chance on a next update to be published to verify my speculation.

Edited by azulkb

That tester could also make a slight detour to the southwestern part of Georgia and check out the scenery there. In Bing Maps it‘s all black there when zooming in.

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

1 hour ago, azulkb said:

what we have to say is that there are places in the world completely forgotten or not feasible by addon producers, for which bing has good data.

I have an example in mind, I googled, no addon producer in any simulator has anything to offer. And where Google and Bing are pretty good.

An addon producer could do something on this place but you'd have to think about it. Or do it yourself, outside of my skills or the skills of the general public...

so in a traditional simulator most of the time you just have to hope and wait... that one day an addon producer will come up with the idea to develop this location that you like and that you've already visited in real life.

And since this location bing is pretty well endowed, well in the game it will certainly be beautiful.

this place I'm thinking of is Zhangye Danxia. So if a alpha tester passes in this area I hope it will have the chance on a next update to be published to verify my speculation.

Indeed... This is why the small subtle difference with MSFS is the use of the word "improve" instead of "create".

Out of the box we will have a comprehensive and pretty immersive VFR experience that can certainly leave room for improvements.

In the actual simulators (on the market) sometimes we need to create from the ground up every component to make an area come to life as it is an empty space in the default scenery...

• Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

7 hours ago, georgiosgiannoukos said:

Anyone knows if the Bing Maps should have any update because as I noticed, it’s more than 7 years since been updated?

Bing maps was updated in July 2019   https://blogs.bing.com/maps/2019-07/we-ve-released-new-birds-eye-imagery

So it is getting updates that MSFS can pick up and use.

Edit, As aleex points out, I just picked a sample update.  So there are other updates they do.

Edited by GlideBy
  • Upvote 1

This makes me wonder something. When the sim is released, it will be connecting to Bing servers to receive photogrammetry and satellite data to render onto the world. I wonder if it would be possible to point the address the sim connects to a locally hosted server that receives the request from the sim and uses the Google maps API to get photogrammetry data that Bing may not have, using the adapter pattern, and returnes the response in a format the sim can understand. It obviously won't be a Microsoft tool, but just something that a 3rd party mod could potentially do

"Even in November 2019 there was a bird eye update"

Still, there's birds eye views that haven't been updated in 11, yes eleven, years, so what would be optimal (but won't ever happen) was if the worked out a deal with Google to also use their data, which in most places are more updated. And not only newer, but also many more places than Bing has. 

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

2 hours ago, noob123 said:

This makes me wonder something. When the sim is released, it will be connecting to Bing servers to receive photogrammetry and satellite data to render onto the world. I wonder if it would be possible to point the address the sim connects to a locally hosted server that receives the request from the sim and uses the Google maps API to get photogrammetry data that Bing may not have, using the adapter pattern, and returnes the response in a format the sim can understand. It obviously won't be a Microsoft tool, but just something that a 3rd party mod could potentially do

In this way you lost azure AI with color correction, homogeneous landscape and building based on footprint 

• Like 1