Sign in to follow this  
GeoSkyman

Bing Maps and FS2020

10 minutes ago, ILSFREAK said:

I am really trying to make sense of this all, but being not at all familiar of a lot of concepts, I am still sort of in the dark with many things. (I  read almost everything thats posted here to get a better idea, but its still most of the time greek to me)

I will be simming offline most of the time, so here are my questions

If most of the processes are done in the cloud, like rendering etc. how is it going to affect me being offline.

Will I need to be online to select different kind of weather scenarios, or even past weather scenarios.

If  someone can please take time to explain in dummy language how this all work, it will be much appreciated

:blush: I am not even knowing if you will understand what what I am actually asking, but its a beginning

I had to ask this silly things to try and understand, otherwise I will be in the dark forever.

Nobody really knows at that time except the alpha testers with a lousy connexion and I think there is none.

The team has said that there will be a still convincing  offline mode, which means a fairly large initial download (or a couple of heavy loaded blu-ray). For the weather, I suppose the sim will then include themes. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

38 minutes ago, ILSFREAK said:

I will be simming offline most of the time, so here are my questions

If most of the processes are done in the cloud, like rendering etc. how is it going to affect me being offline.

Will I need to be online to select different kind of weather scenarios, or even past weather scenarios.

The data comes from the built in data which come as time of install, or data from the cloud.  It is then rendered on the local computer.  So if you have no internet connection, then you can't get live weather data.  But you will be able to set your own weather, like wind speed, clouds, etc. 

The sim comes with built in terrain, buildings, trees and such, which as said, comes with the install.  It, of course, won't look as good as it can if streamed.  If you can get a internet connection, then you can preload an area.  Then if you only fly that area, it will look as good as it can.  And, if you do have an internet connection, and keep flying the same area, it will only download the scenery data once.  So either way, for only one area, you only need to download once.  Assuming you have enough room on your hard drive to hold it.

This article talks about some of that, but is not in English.  https://www.lanacion.com.ar/tecnologia/hablan-creadores-del-flight-simulator-2020-nid2318927

Edited by GlideBy
  • Like 1

From the sounds of it, playing offline will be just like playing the other sims without custom scenery, so Autogen.

Though unlike FSX/P3D it sounds like offline mode will Still have all the building and road data for the entire planet, so buildings will be where they should be, even if they won’t look identical to how they look in real life.

One of the first featured discovery  videos covered offline mode briefly.

• Upvote 1

Yep, at worst it's gonna look like what we got in other sims plus up to date graphics.

The only competitor technology wise could be Google, if they decided to develope a Flight Sim. They got the streaming abilities and even better map data. I don't know how much the experience counts in, but I guess with the right people in the right place, this isn't too much of a thing.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Just now, tweekz said:

Yep, at worst it's gonna look like what we got in other sims plus up to date graphics.

The only competitor technology wise could be Google, if they decided to develope a Flight Sim. They got the streaming abilities and even better map data. I don't know how much the experience counts in, but I guess with the right people in the right place, this isn't too much of a thing.

Actually Google Maps already have a DirectX feature for lighting, of course that their A.I algorithms can easily build 3D structures on top of maps, it wouldn't be a problem for them to insert aerial physics on a dynamic environment for a flight simulator, however MFS2020 will be there, ready and Xplane updated with a new render engine so Is highly doubtful Google would jump in.

3 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

however MFS2020 will be there, ready and Xplane updated with a new render engine so Is highly doubtful Google would jump in.

Exactly. They missed the window (hypothetically). Now the market is/will be pretty much satisfied.

Edited by tweekz

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

2 hours ago, tweekz said:

Exactly. They missed the window (hypothetically). Now the market is/will be pretty much satisfied.

I remember hearing some news a couple of years ago, maybe a bit more, about Google Maps being licensed for some kind of in-game streaming? 

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

When MSFS launched, I flew over my new house.  No house, no new buildings, just a field.  A few months later, the development was showing, but there were no 3D Models.  Now, March 2021, the houses are there.  Therefore, I have to conclude that Bing Maps is being updated, and the AI Engine that produces the buildings is doing its job.  I wish I'd taken screen shots now.

Martin Connor (Cert Ed)

Early retiree from UK Further & Higher Education College

Specialized in Computer Networking and early adoption of new technologies.

Interests:3D Design, Scenery Creation for FSX, Photography. Programming.

1 hour ago, Martin Connor said:

When MSFS launched, I flew over my new house.  No house, no new buildings, just a field.  A few months later, the development was showing, but there were no 3D Models.  Now, March 2021, the houses are there.  Therefore, I have to conclude that Bing Maps is being updated, and the AI Engine that produces the buildings is doing its job.  I wish I'd taken screen shots now.

Might have been updated with the USA World Update in November.