Sign in to follow this  
enrico10999

Best Military Jet Fighter for P3DV4 (PMDG-Style)?

Hello,

Normally I fly PMDG or FSLab airplanes and I like this deeply modeled FMS and the good flight dynamics etc.

Which is the best military jet fighter for P3DV4? 

And for which aircraft are there good instructions on Youtube etc. to learn how to use it? 

Thanks Erik

I recomment the Milviz Phantom F-4 E/J/S (or all other MV aircraft). There are many good tutorials on YT.

Edited by Manschy

I like the Vertical Reality Simulations FA-18 Superbug...absolutely a PMDG/FSL-style aircraft.

Edited by RudiJG1
  • Upvote 2

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Depends what you want to do to some extent. As I'm sure you know, most of the time military jet fighters fly practice missions to ensure their crews are ready should they ever need to fight, rather than actual combat, or they do airshow routines, which is a good way to hone piloting skills and teamwork, especially when performing formation aerobatics. That being the case, you might not want one with functioning weaponry, perhaps preferring to fly navigational and interception practice missions and aero routines. If that's the case, then I'd say go for one with interesting avionics to allow yourself a challenge in terms of using avionics and nav equipment; something like MILVIZ's F4 Phantoms with its backseater role providing this, would be a great choice, as no doubt will JF's new Tornado when they get that out. If however you want to drop bombs and shoot stuff up and don't want to use DCS World to do that, then be sure to choose an add-on fighter aeroplane which has TACPAC add-on capabilities, of which there are many. 

If you prefer some aerobatics and more dogfighter-ish stuff, consider JF's BAe Hawk (technically it is a trainer rather than a fighter, but export versions of it are used in the fighter role), or the MILVIZ F-86 Sabre, this being pretty much the pinnacle of gun-equipped dogfighter development before guided missiles started to affect the design of fighter aircraft, making it fun to throw about.

If on the other hand you want something which is a bit more turboprop airliner-ish in terms of control, and with sophisticated avionics, but is still technically a combat aircraft which was most often flown by fighter pilots using it in the FAC/close air support role, then the Aerosoft Rockwell OV-10 Bronco is an interesting aeroplane to have in your virtual hangar. I know most people would not say it was a fighter, but it was definitely flown by some of the most experienced fighter pilots in the Vietnam War because of the need to perform the challenging FAC role as well as some counter-insurgency missions.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The good old L39 Albatros from Lotussim still works nicely in P3D4.5... As I don't need weaponry and the speed of that bird just matches what my PC can cope with (blurries wise) it's perfect for me.

This is the best of the lot imho - arguably one of the best flightsim addons of all time and so nice to fly.

• Like 1

VRS F-18 Superbug.

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

Hi thanks for your recommendations! 

I am not interested in combat and weapons simulation, I am just interested to understand the Airplane systems and the Flight Management computer etc.

So I googled your recommendations 

Milviz Phantom F-4 E/J/S                                         80 USD

TacPac is optional 

Vertical Reality Simulations FA-18 Superbug           60 USD

but requires the TacPac mandatory?                  50 USD

JUSTFLIGHT Hawk T1/A                                          38 Euro

MILVIZ F-86 Sabre with TacPac                                50 Euro

Aerosoft Rockwell OV-10 Bronco                             30 Euro

LOTUS SIMULATIONS - L-39 ALBATROS               28 Euro   (I am not shure if its working in P3DV4)

It seems that Vertical Reality Simulations FA-18 Superbug needs the TacPac mandatory for flying, so that would be expensive with 110 USD.

What would be your choice? 

Wich airplane hast the newest technology in light systems (like the 747-8i instead of the 747-100) ?

Thanks

Erik

If you're looking for something with a commercial style FMC you're probably going to be disappointed. The MilViz F4 probably has the most complex nav system but it's an INS and is nothing like a modern FMC. Overall, the Superbug is probably your best choice from that list for modern military avionics and system depth.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

+1 for the Superbug, it's (by far) the most modern out of the above listed. The 2-seat variant (F/A-18F) is coming later this year as well with PBR and all the differences between the 2; it's pretty much the standard for study-sim fighter jets, at least in P3D. 

Wrong sim for Military jets. DSC is a different world and so are the aircraft. Makes running a military jet in P3D look very wrong.

The VRS F-18 Superbug is the "best" but nothing like the same aircraft in DCS or the world its in.

You could buy the F-18 for DCS and it would cost you less than the VRS F-18 Superbug and you get the real deal. It's a different world and level of sim.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

DCS is nice and all, though sometimes it's nice to be able to fly anywhere you want in your jet. It's interesting simulating a deployment mission where you ferry the jet across the ocean, fight with it in the combat theater of your choice, then ferry it back.

As someone who is an avid milsim person, I just was never able to get into DCS all that much. The F-14 and first gen F/A-18 just don't do anything for me (even though they're both fine aircraft), though the F-16C and A-10 have made it quite tempting. Just don't have the time at the moment to invest into getting a new sim up and running, unfortunately. 

The problem with DCS currently is that they are introducing more and more bugs with each version and the list of unfinished aircraft becomes longer and longer.  Yesterdays 'update' e.g. broke the the internal and external lighting on many, if not all aircraft.

The hair-raising basic bug where (constant) wind affects IAS and even causes the engines to flame out, etc. all very disappointing. 

I've uninstalled DCS a few month ago and wanted to wait until the flight model of the F-16 is more realistic, but every changelog I read unfortunately confirms that my decision to uninstall it was the right one. 

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FDEdev said:

he problem with DCS currently is that they are introducing more and more bugs with each version and the list of unfinished aircraft becomes longer and longer.

True. This trend has really become somewhat annoying. You'd think after the other debacles with early access flightsim software and add-ons that Eagle Dynamics would have been more cautious. I've given up on upgrading to the latest version of DCS.

8 hours ago, enrico10999 said:

LOTUS SIMULATIONS - L-39 ALBATROS               28 Euro   (I am not shure if its working in P3DV4)

Yes it does. You just need the 64bit sound .dll PM me if you have trouble getting hold of it.

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.