Sign in to follow this  
Claviateur

Hint of "in-game" editing tools

1 minute ago, Nedo68 said:

for me, putting my own 3d scanned house into the game would be more then enough! 😁

If you can place anything inside the Sim (of course just localy and only visible for you) this would be a dream.

I hope so! Because, if this won't be possible then all our fancy expectations as scenery dev must be put on some ice in some fridge 🙂

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

2 hours ago, mpozzi said:

this sim is not like the rest, it works on stream.

Yes, the sim is streaming data, (not images), from the cloud.  But then the data is cached on the hard drive.  Where the sim accesses it just like every other sim.  And if there is no internet it access the pre cached data from when the game was installed.  If you fly over the same area, it doesn't keep downloading the data, it just uses the cache.

Or to simplify, just think the data is streamed from a cloud hard drive rather than one built in.

And mods are always local.  So they locally override the scenery data.  So only those that have the mod will see it.  How the mod is distributed hasn't been determined yet, but I don't see why you couldn't just download and install mods yourself.

(This is simplified and doesn't cover everything.  For example if you fly over a large area that doesn't fit on the hard drive, it may keep downloading the data.)

Edited by GlideBy

If there was a way we could somehow tweak scenery that is local to us and was not too hard to do obviously would need to be vetted before being added to the game can you imagine a world where we can all help update it for everyone.

Going to be fascinated when the likes of PMDG A2A etc can spill the beans on how they went about updating their flight dynamics...

Just now, Claviateur said:

And as you know, these in-engine editing tools exist but giving them to the end-user as is, is virtually impossible because these tools can for example transform Earth into Mars and make weird things happen in the engine... 

However, reducing the level of options available in these tools and making them restricted to the terrain components for example could be a good deal for me.

exactly, if an user start creating buildings and form a huge word not allowed svastika in-game now that is a problem, so I think it the game will accept scenery specific modifications in game and it will go under approval once you are done, and then everyone see it for free.  As for major enrichments you may have the possibily to sell the asset in the marketplace and only buyers will see it but I don't think they will have to install anything just by buying the asset it will be deployed in the cloud they stream from.

12 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

exactly, if an user start creating buildings and form a huge word not allowed svastika in-game now that is a problem, so I think it the game will accept scenery specific modifications in game and it will go under approval once you are done, and then everyone see it for free.  As for major enrichments you may have the possibily to sell the asset in the marketplace and only buyers will see it but I don't think they will have to install anything just by buying the asset it will be deployed in the cloud they stream from.

Not everything in the sim is streamed.

Remember, you can play it completely offline. You just won't have satellite imagery/photogammery (unless you cache it first)

Why do you keep assuming addons will be streamed?

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, GlideBy said:

Yes, the sim is streaming data, (not images), from the cloud.  But then the data is cached on the hard drive.  Where the sim accesses it just like every other sim.  And if there is no internet it access the pre cached data from when the game was installed.  If you fly over the same area, it doesn't keep downloading the data, it just uses the cache.

Or to simplify, just think the data is streamed from a cloud hard drive rather than one built in.

And mods are always local.  So they locally override the scenery data.  So only those that have the mod will see it.  How the mod is distributed hasn't been determined yet, but I don't see why you couldn't just download and install mods yourself.

(This is simplified and doesn't cover everything.  For example if you fly over a large area that doesn't fit on the hard drive, it may keep downloading the data.)

That is the point, the mods won't stay local, so you gonna need to re cache the area to see the mod or just stream.

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

Not everything in the sim is streamed.

You can play it completely offline. You just won't have satellite imagery/photogammery (unless you cache it first)

well if you play offline with a cache older than the uploaded mod I guess you won't see it, what are you talking about?

6 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

well if you play offline with a cache older than the uploaded mod I guess you won't see it, what are you talking about?

Why do you assume mods won't be local? There's no evidence that they won't be local.

It also makes no sense that they won't be local, because what if more than one developer creates a scenery in an area? Which one would the sim choose?

Edited by Tuskin38

in summary, if you are looking to improve your house in game or your swimming pool since I saw a lot of rich people with 32GB ram hang in here and also people willing to mod for free, then nobody will care about these specific mods. You will only see these mods locally or they need to go through approval for the rest to see it, or you can start moding and enriching serious landscape and sell in the marketplace.

2 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

in summary, if you are looking to improve your house in game or your swimming pool since I saw a lot of rich people with 32GB ram hang in here and also people willing to mod for free, then nobody will care about these specific mods. You will only see these mods locally or they need to go through approval for the rest to see it, or you can start moding and enriching serious landscape and sell in the marketplace.

You're making no sense. Addons for this will most likely be no different from FSX/P3D or XP11. It will be pick and choose.

They're not going to force everyone to download custom scenery.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

Why do you assume mods won't be local? There's no evidence that they won't be local.

It also makes no sense that they won't be local. What if more then one developer makes a scenery? Which one would the sim choose?

Developers will typically publish their enriched sceneries in the marketplace and it is the user that decides which one to buy from.

Mods can stay local but only for you, in order to share or "update" the world will go typically to the cloud under approval.

2 minutes ago, mpozzi said:

Developers will typically publish their enriched sceneries in the marketplace and it is the user that decides which one to buy from.

Mods can stay local but only for you, in order to share or "update" the world will go typically to the cloud under approval.

There's no evidence yet that the sim will have a built in marketplace.

And even if there is, I doubt the addons will be 'streamed', they'll most likely be downloaded locally so you can use them in offline mode.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, mpozzi said:

That is the point, the mods won't stay local, so you gonna need to re cache the area to see the mod or just stream.

I am not following you.  The mods are local, they exist on the local hard drive.  They do not exist on the stream or cloud.  It would be a mess to try to put them on the cloud.  You would have to track who has what mods.  And then you have hundreds of users with different combinations of mods, all having to stream different data for.  Keep in mind each user can create mods for themselves.  That would just multiply the server load by a huge amount.  User 1 gets mods 1, 6, 34, 56, User 2 get mods 2, 5, 34, User 3, gets mods 1, 3, etc.  

So they will do what every other game does, stream the data, which is without the mods.  Then the local computer creates the scene, to which the mods are added to.  For the sake of this discussion it doesn't matter where the mod comes from.

If your group all want to see the same thing, they all need to mod.  If MS wants everyone to see it, then it either becomes part of the server, or part of the core local game.  For example the Seattle Space Needle is hand modeled mod.  We don't know if that is sent server side or part of the core game.  I would assume it is stored locally.

well it seems that I am some sort of delusion to you, if you look in the Microsoft job board you will see that they are looking for a producer for the flight simulator marketplace.

"

"Marketplace Producer, Microsoft Flight Simulator"

"we are looking for an experienced Marketplace Producer to partner with our Executive Producer in the Marketplace/Store presence for the next version of Microsoft Flight Simulator."

"In this role you will be directly responsible for tracking the quality and timely execution of deliverables from our external partners"

"including setting up proper workflow and communication processes for managing the inventory/pricing/strategies/presence of our internal/external Marketplace store.

"

GlodeBy 

cloud = "sent server side or part of the core game. "