Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

FS2020 Information you "may"not be aware of.

There was recently an interview with the developers, in the Argentinian newspaper La Nacion. This is a quick rundown of some of the points highlighted. Apologies if some of you are aware of these points. 

1. In tests, the calculations for the entire climate system and flight model, won't need more than 5% of a single processing core.

2. There will be 20 different levels of realism. these will be used to adjust quality based on the speed of the users internet connection.

3. An internet speed or 3 or 4 mbs will offer a good representation of the world. 

4.  An internet speed of 10 mbs will offer all the level of detail offered by the simulator.

5. It will be possible to buy the simulator with a single one time purchase. 

-What is the difference between the two marketing models?

-The subscription is for those who want to have access to other games for Xbox or PC.

- Suppose I just want the simulator. If I buy anything more than the FS2020, do I also have access to streaming maps and other features?

-Exact.

With 3 or 4 megabits per second (Mbps) you will already be able to have a good representation of the world. Among other techniques, we cache the data, so if you fly over an airport and then go over that place again, that data does not need to be downloaded again. For the same reason the realism of the terrain will improve as you fly several times over the same place. But anyway you don't need super fast connections. With about 10 Mbps you can already have all the level of realism offered by the simulator.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/tecnologia/hablan-creadores-del-flight-simulator-2020-nid2318927

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, martin-w said:

5. It will be possible to buy the simulator with a single one time purchase. 

Probably a good idea at this stage not to confuse/assume buying the simulator with a single one time purchase.

implies the scenery shown so far in the promotional materials will be included in that single one time purchase.

I really get the impression that the vast majority of complainers about comments that it will "require" subscription are confused by that subtle but pretty important difference.

buy the simulator, rent the scenery seems to me to be fairly obviously the intention.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

I think you're wrong on the asumption that besides buying the core game, we have to "rent" the scenery to make it look like all the videos / screenshots we have seen.

They have said several times that the ONLY subscribtion will be if we want acces to X-game pass which gives access to several other games. 

And that with a good internet line, we'll be able to see the whole world in high detail. So No, I don't think we'll need to rent anything to play it.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

39 minutes ago, jlund said:

I think you're wrong on the asumption that besides buying the core game, we have to "rent" the scenery to make it look like all the videos / screenshots we have seen.

They have said several times that the ONLY subscribtion will be if we want acces to X-game pass which gives access to several other games. 

And that with a good internet line, we'll be able to see the whole world in high detail. So No, I don't think we'll need to rent anything to play it.

lvl18 orthophoto of the world is something like 50 terrabytes of data.

each of the 400 cities with high lod will be at least another terrabyte plus each.

the kind of scenery you see in this picture.

TECH-ALPHA-5.png

You are not going to be storing that offline, and you have not been able to access access any of microsofts online features (even multiplayer) without a subscription for several years. So for anything you need "a good internet line" implies "needing a subscription"

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

39 minutes ago, jlund said:

Precisely, as the developers said and I quote... The subscription is for those who want to have access to other games for Xbox or PC.

• Like 2

And the nice thing is that "a good internet connection" to see the max detail, is a mere 10 MBS. 

- With 3 or 4 megabits per second (Mbps) you will already be able to have a good representation of the world. Among other techniques, we cache the data, so if you fly over an airport and then go over that place again, that data does not need to be downloaded again. For the same reason the realism of the terrain will improve as you fly several times over the same place. But anyway you don't need super fast connections. With about 10 Mbps you can already have all the level of realism offered by the simulator.

Neumann: -And as you said, there is also the possibility of downloading a particular area in advance, if you fly there often, so you will not need a large bandwidth to have all the level of detail in that area.

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, mSparks said:

You are not going to be storing that offline, and you have not been able to access access any of microsofts online features (even multiplayer) without a subscription for several years. So for anything you need "a good internet line" implies "needing a subscription"

Where do you get this idea? Microsoft games on PC don't require you to pay for multiplayer, that's only for x box. I don't see why they would change that with the flight simulator, especially when they confirmed that you don't need a subscription for just the flight simulator

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, noob123 said:

Microsoft games on PC don't require you to pay for multiplayer, that's only for x box

Which games? Im not aware of any since

Microsoft windows games merged with the xbox division around 2011

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-games-windows-merges-xbox

The days of free multiplayer on windows PC have been numbered ever since.

apparently starting with xbox2020 (which is why i dont call it series x)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

31 minutes ago, noob123 said:

Microsoft games on PC don't require you to pay for multiplayer, that's only for x box. 

This exactly. Only their consoles require subscriptions to play multiplayer.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

These are all old informations we got to learn around the global event back then..

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

5 hours ago, mSparks said:

buy the simulator, rent the scenery seems to me to be fairly obviously the intention.

Since there is no such statement from any official source... you are literally making that up.  Quite literally.  Your assumption (and assuming makes... etc) is based on bias and no actual fact.  Please cease posting nonsense claims that serve to only mislead.

• Like 17
  • Upvote 4

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

6 hours ago, martin-w said:

There was recently an interview with the developers, in the Argentinian newspaper La Nacion.

It sounds the same as this - https://www.lanacion.com.ar/tecnologia/hablan-creadores-del-flight-simulator-2020-nid2318927

Which has been posted here before.  Also, it quotes the devs and 100% contradicts mSparks.  mSparks, if you respond to me, note that I won't be responding.

• Like 2

When the dust settles, keep in mind Microsoft is in this to make a buck - as many as they can.

• Like 1