Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

FS2020 Information you "may"not be aware of.

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

As someone esle already stated. Living in an age of subscriptions (Amazon prime, Netflix, mobile phone contract, internet, cable, IPTV...) I would have no problem with saving somewhere else and pay those 10$ a month for a great flying experience.

Please don't give them any ideas. At $10 I'd definitely be out and the vast majority of the market would be out as well. Even at $4 the Xbox community would question it when Xbox Gamepass is a thing. The fact that people will be able to cache scenery at the highest quality seems to make the whole sub thing moot anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

1 minute ago, Krakin said:

That was something I was going to get to. That data is readily available from various sources for free. FSX has real world weather for free. I get what you're saying but everything so far points towards this being a regular ol' purchase with paid add-ons from MS in the future which is fine.

Yep that's cool. There is a value for having it all in one place and all automatic for me. Imagine having to download A from here, converting it into the correct format and then importing it, then downloading B from here, C from there etc etc. Then you get it all ready and are just about to shove the throttles through the firewall and mum comes in and says it's dinner time.

I think my Navigraph subsription is something like $70 per year, I can't really remember. I expect there are a couple of other charges on subscription too. I have soooo many direct debits going out on or about the first of the month that if I looked close enough I'd probably find I'm still paying for Blockbusters.

I cancelled 2 gym memberships a few years ago after more than 12 months. Didn't set foot in either of them. I'm a sellers wet dream.

1 minute ago, Krakin said:

Please don't give them any ideas. At $10 I'd definitely be out and the vast majority of the market would be out as well. Even at $4 the Xbox community would question it when Xbox Gamepass is a thing. The fact that people will be able to cache scenery at the highest quality seems to make the whole sub thing moot anyway.

Won't happen anyway. Just being in sparks vision mode. My first guess is still the "attract people, earn with ingame-sales" theory.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

36 minutes ago, martin-w said:

I stared this thread primarily to highlight the other information, for example how low the internet speed required is. 10 mbs for the full experience is excellent in my opinion, I was expecting higher. It seems people are more interested in the "no subscription" conversation though. 😁

Yeh this came up before and I am delighted. I have a 70mb line so should not have to wait hopefully to see the scenery in all its glory 🙂

8 minutes ago, Krakin said:

That was something I was going to get to. That data is readily available from various sources for free. FSX has real world weather for free.

You are right. Also the Bing map and satellite data is provided for free. So even if it is being processed and offered in a different form, they still got all the infrastructure to offer such experience without big effort.

• Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

25 minutes ago, Krakin said:

At $10 I'd definitely be out and the vast majority of the market would be out as well.

And I get accused of being pessimistic.....

So after all that, you don't think the scenery will be good enough to charge a subscription for.?.?.?..?

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

I love this thread - people at Microsoft are sitting there reading this, counting beans and cackling.

• Like 1

What I wonder is why nobody seems to realize that you can freely use Google Maps/Earth and Bing maps with the same 3D buildings and cities. Why should we all of a sudden start to pay for it because it's implemented inside a game/sim? Makes no sense to me.

Edited by simtom
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

I think my son and his wife have an XBox ultimate pass.  Which they already have and would be paying for anyway.  Which means I get to play MSFS totally FOR FREE!  Eat your heart out, non-subscribers. 😄 

I want a purchase option where I buy a hard drive with MSFS already installed, all I have to do is install the hard drive in my computer and run a configuration program.  Or for a bit more money an SSD.  At that point I won't care about bandwidth and it would be cheaper than buying additional gigabytes of bandwidth from my satellite provider.

Obviously not everyone would want to go this route, but for me it might be the most viable option.  And y'know, if Microsoft doesn't do it, some third party seller might.  

Updates would be less of a problem as they wouldn't be the entire original download.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I guess the game will cost around $99 or you can play with with the Xbox Ultimate Pass exclusively. Some missions will be free and other missions with exclusive development will have a price, same for aircraft and fancy add-ons. 

Well, it requires 2PB to download the entire MSFS scenery. To be clear, that would require a thousand 2TB hard drives.

Edited by divide

since it's open to speculation here, 

I think the game will be available as a game pass or sold alone for 60 euros. and there will be no subscription to get all the scenarios at max capacity on pc.

multiplayers and all feature free.

my reasons: the cloud is largely profitable by microsoft on other projects, and this one is a future showcase of Azure's capacity.
My second reason is microsoft's will to make this kind of simulator popular, and not exclusively used by a few people corresponding to x-plane's target.

Now I'm going to speculate fully, since this is the favorite sport of this forum.

and I'd be all for opening bets between all the detractors here. Personally, I'd bet $500 on my speculation.

Who's going ? Dare?

Edited by azulkb

28 minutes ago, divide said:

Well, it requires 2PB to download the entire MSFS scenery. To be clear, that would require a thousand 2TB hard drives.

Two PB is the raw data.  We wouldn't need the entire database to have a very nice world to fly in.

Any areas where I'd want super resolution I could download during my midnight to 5 AM non metered time.

I understand MSFS will be a 95 gig download for the default scenery.  That's still more than I can easily handle.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Subscription will never catch on I can`t see XBOX users paying subscription never happen !!!!

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg