Sign in to follow this  
imwaite

Pilot2ATC fails to start

Hi - used Pilot2ATC older version, Version 2.5 I believe on Windows 7. Upgraded to Windows 10 and downloaded latest version 2.6.1.1_x64_R3 with Navigraph Data and now cannot get Pilot2ATC to start.

Get screen with aircraft then screen showing inside cockpit with Pilot 2 ATC - Loading Data - Please Wait.

Get 2 Error screens

1) sqlserver.exe - Application Error "The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).Click OK to close the application

2) Database Error - The underlying provider Failed on Open.

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider SQL Network interfaces, error: 50 - Local Database Runtime error occurred. Error occurred during LocalDB instance startup: SQL Server process failed to start.)"

I have reinstalled Windows 10 Pro but no change.

Please help !

Imwaite

That's a Microsoft SQL issue.  Here are some things to try:

1.  Manually restart the SQL Local Database Engine
    • ⦁    Open a Windows command prompt as administrator.
    • ⦁    Type the following command:  SQLLocalDB delete "MSSQLLocalDB"
    • ⦁    Type the following command:  SQLLocalDB create "MSSQLLocalDB"
    • ⦁    Type the following command:  SQLLocalDB start "MSSQLLocalDB"
    • ⦁    Try starting P2A again
  2. There may be some corrupt or missing files in the MSSQLLocalDB work folder.  It is located at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\MSSQLLocalDB  where <UserName> is your PC user name. Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.   Locate this folder and delete the entire folder.  SQL will rebuild the folder and valid contents on the next startup of Pilot2ATC.
  3.  If that doesn’t fix it, you can try installing the SQL LocalDB engine again.  Here’s a link to the Microsoft installer program on my Dropbox server: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b30wwk84t7a4ngp/SqlLocalDBx64.zip?dl=0     You can download, unzip and run the installer.  Take note if any error messages are given, but it should run without issue.  Then try starting Pilot2ATC again. 
  4. If still not working, look in your Program Files for instances of Microsoft SQL LocalDB.  Open Control Panel and go to Program and Features.  Look for Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB.  If you find it, you can delete it and do step 3 again.
  5. If still not working, send me an email at admin@pilot2atc.com and I'll work with you to try and resolve the problem.

Dave

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

2. There may be some corrupt or missing files in the MSSQLLocalDB work folder.  It is located at C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\MSSQLLocalDB  where <UserName> is your PC user name. Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.   Locate this folder and delete the entire folder.  SQL will rebuild the folder and valid contents on the next startup of Pilot2ATC.
  3.  If that doesn’t fix it, you can try installing the SQL LocalDB engine again.  Here’s a link to the Microsoft installer program on my Dropbox server: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b30wwk84t7a4ngp/SqlLocalDBx64.zip?dl=0     You can download, unzip and run the installer.  Take note if any error messages are given, but it should run without issue.  Then try starting Pilot2ATC again. 
  4. If still not working, look in your Program Files for instances of Microsoft SQL LocalDB.  Open Control Panel and go to Program and Features.  Look for Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB.  If you find it, you can delete it and do step 3 again.
  5. If still not working, send me an email at admin@pilot2atc.com and I'll work with you to try and resolve the problem.

Dave

First step is "stop"

WWg4Ovb.png

https://i.imgur.com/WWg4Ovb.png

SQLLocalDB stop "MSSQLLocalDB"
	SQLLocalDB delete "MSSQLLocalDB"
	SQLLocalDB create "MSSQLLocalDB"
	SQLLocalDB start "MSSQLLocalDB"

@Dave-Pilot2ATC

Hi,

I have the same issue...

I've tried every solution, the only one that works is to type in Command prompt: SQLLocalDB start "MSSQLLocalDB" before launch P2ATC.

The problem is that I have to perform this action every time I want to run P2ATC. What's going on here?

Thank you and Regards,

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

It is really very dependent on your specific PC configuration.

One thing to try is to open the old Control Panel then navigate to Administrative Tools->Services

then scroll down and find SQL Server(SQLEXPRESS) and if found, check that it is set to StartupType = Automatic.

2 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

It is really very dependent on your specific PC configuration......

It is really very dependent on your specific PC configuration.

Please, what do you mean by that?

One thing to try is to open the old Control Panel then navigate to Administrative Tools->Services

then scroll down and find SQL Server(SQLEXPRESS) and if found, check that it is set to StartupType = Automatic.

In Services there is no "SQL Server(SQLEXPRESS)". The only occurrence I found is "SQL Server VSS Writer".

Thank you for help.

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Each PC is very different with varying security settings, software/hardware installed, different user configurations, etc.  These all affect how services and programs function.  In 99% of the cases, users don't have any issues with this SQLLocalDB service.

You could write a windows "bat" file to execute those commands and then start P2A.  Then you could launch P2A with a single click again.  

Dave

To make the aforementioned 'bat' file, open a plain text editor and insert the following text:

SQLLocalDB stop "MSSQLLocalDB"
SQLLocalDB delete "MSSQLLocalDB"
SQLLocalDB create "MSSQLLocalDB"
SQLLocalDB start "MSSQLLocalDB"
Start ""  "C:\Pilot2ATC_2018\Pilot2ATC_2018.exe"

Edit the red part of the last line to the folder you have your P2A .exe file in.

Then save the file as something like StartP2A.bat, being sure the file type is .bat.

When you double click that new .bat file, it will execute the above commands in a command prompt and then close.  P2A will start up a few seconds later.

Dave

Thank you Dave, I answered your pm.

Richard.

Richard Portier

On 2/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Dave

Hi Dave,

I recently developed the same issue, not sure what caused it as it has worked well for 2 years maybe upgrading to Win10 version 1909.

When I download your Dropbox file there is no installer in there.

I have no SQL Server or SQL Sever Agent system files.

However if I  Type the following command:  SQLLocalDB start "MSSQLLocalDB"   it starts the SQL Server and P2ATC launches fine however I have to do this every time I restart my computer. I have tried everything including uninstalling and reinstalling P2ATC but as I said there is no installer in your "zip" file so I can't perform item 3.

I know I can create a batch file but would like to know why all of the sudden things broke?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

That's strange.  I just clicked on the link and it took me to the download page.

After downloading, the msi installation file was in the zip.

Maybe try it again.  Or use a different browser to do the download.

I suspect, as you do, that a Windows update might be changing the 'autostart' settings for this process.  A few users have resorted to .bat files, but for most it seems to resolve after following the procedures.

You might also try running the following command from an Administrator command prompt:

SQLLocalDB share "MSSQLLocalDB"

It could be a Windows user account thing causing the problem.

Let us know what happens.

Dave

4 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

That's strange.  I just clicked on the link and it took me to the download page.

After downloading, the msi installation file was in the zip.

Maybe try it again.  Or use a different browser to do the download.

I suspect, as you do, that a Windows update might be changing the 'autostart' settings for this process.  A few users have resorted to .bat files, but for most it seems to resolve after following the procedures.

You might also try running the following command from an Administrator command prompt:

SQLLocalDB share "MSSQLLocalDB"

It could be a Windows user account thing causing the problem.

Let us know what happens.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I downloaded it again and the msi installation file was there. I tried both the repair and remove and reinstall but neither made a difference. I also ran the "share" command but again no difference.

I setup a batch file with  the SQLLocalDB start "MSSQLLocalDB" and P2ATC exe commands and it works. It's a strange thing that only a couple of us have this problem?

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

same issue just happened today, yesterday was fine, it opens to the taskbar but wont open full screen.  tried suggestions 1-4  with no luck, made a .bat file  but it also just opens Pilot2atc to the task bar but wont open fully

Denis

This is a Windows issue and is easily solved….usually.  It’s happened to me with Excel and Word also.

1)    After starting Pilot2ATC, Hover over the icon on the Taskbar
2)    A larger thumbnail of the program should show
3)    Right-click that larger thumbnail
4)    Select Move
5)    Hold down the Right Arrow key on the keyboard until the program comes into view
6)    If that doesn’t work, hold down the left arrow
7)    Once the window is in view, use the mouse to move it to the desired location.
😎  Shut down Pilot2ATC so the location will be remembered.

Dave