Sign in to follow this  
log79240

310 Redux impact

I am thinking about getting the 310 Redux. My system is FSX based and dates back from 2013 (i7-3770,8GB RAM,Nvidia780/3GB). Orbx PNW is the only scenery addon. Flying the B55 in Seattle and its neighbourhood I get something between 20 and 30fps (30 is the target). Should I expect a significant performance drop with the revised Cessna? Thank you.

2 hours ago, log79240 said:

I am thinking about getting the 310 Redux. My system is FSX based and dates back from 2013 (i7-3770,8GB RAM,Nvidia780/3GB). Orbx PNW is the only scenery addon. Flying the B55 in Seattle and its neighbourhood I get something between 20 and 30fps (30 is the target). Should I expect a significant performance drop with the revised Cessna? Thank you.

None that I'm aware of.  Some areas of Orbx PNW are real frame rate killers.  But you probably already know that.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

4 hours ago, log79240 said:

Should I expect a significant performance drop with the revised Cessna?

My FSX system is nearing 5 years old, system specs in my footer below.  I cannot recall experiencing any significant difference between the original Milviz 310 and the 310 Redux, and I have configured two versions that I fly.  One is equipped with Reality XP GTN 750 and GTN 650 gauges; the other version is equipped with Reality XP GNS 530 and GNS 430, plus the Milviz weather radar.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I had some Out-Of-Memory (OOM) issues with the Milviz 310 Redux and Beaver.  Very large texture packages.  Cut the textures in half which gives you files that are a quarter of the size of the original and this seem to help.  Still looks good with the smaller graphic files.  Gave me about an extra 400MB to 500MB of memory by doing this.  This may also lead to better FPS.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Thanks to all of you. I am glad that it will probably work.

@JohnCott: What do you mean by "cutting the textures in half"? I remember lowres textures were offered by Milviz for the Baron. One meg instead of four. But I never thought of modifying them myself. Is that where you are pointing?

2 hours ago, johncott said:

Very large texture packages.  Cut the textures in half

How?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, log79240 said:

Thanks to all of you. I am glad that it will probably work.

@JohnCott: What do you mean by "cutting the textures in half"? I remember lowres textures were offered by Milviz for the Baron. One meg instead of four. But I never thought of modifying them myself. Is that where you are pointing?

Yes, that is what I mean.  There may be some copyright issues and I would check with Milviz before modifying files. When you reduce the textures by half, for example take 4096 textures and reduce them to 2048 textures. When you do this the new textures files are actually a quarter of the size of the original ones.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

How?

I use various programs.  There may be some copyright issues and I would check with Milviz before modifying files.  Before changing any files, make a backup of the original ones. The freeware paint.net is the best one for DDS files.  it opens DDS files directly. I open a texture, resize it and save it to a DXT5 format DDS format.  DXTBmp is another handy tool which is also free. This opens textures that paint.net will not open like layered BMP files. You open these texture in DXTBmp and send to a paint or photo program to modified or resize and then bring it back into DXTBmp and save it.  I hope this helps.

John Cottreau

John C.

@JohnCott: That is a one piece of valuable information. You can only zoom so much and every fps counts. Should be applicable to other aircraft as well.

As for checking with the developer, I am not sure if they even can say yes. If there is one condition present in pretty much all of the eulas, this is it.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:57 PM, johncott said:

I use various programs.  There may be some copyright issues and I would check with Milviz before modifying files.  Before changing any files, make a backup of the original ones. The freeware paint.net is the best one for DDS files.  it opens DDS files directly. I open a texture, resize it and save it to a DXT5 format DDS format.  DXTBmp is another handy tool which is also free. This opens textures that paint.net will not open like layered BMP files. You open these texture in DXTBmp and send to a paint or photo program to modified or resize and then bring it back into DXTBmp and save it.  I hope this helps.

John Cottreau

I can confirm the paint.net software works as you described. Hard drive and memory footprints of the textures are much reduced. The blurriness, especially on the panels on higher zoom levels, is more noticeable. No other issues as far as I can tell. No significant increase in fps though. This is a good trade-off. The only thing paint.net lacks is some kind of batch processor. But this has to be discussed elsewhere.