Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Is it now safe to apply the FTX Central update ?

I ended up going ahead. The onscreen instructions were not great especially when it came to setting up backup and install directories but it seemed to work just fine. 

Edited by MarkW

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I installed ORBx Central and all of my ORBx scenery packages and airports on the new PC, and made the mistake of installing them to a folder outside the P3D v4 folder. This was the addon.xml method (which I hate), and predictably a massive amount of my TrueEarth GB autogen was missing. So I uninstalled the lot, and reinstalled it all the normal way (within the P3D v4 folders; the good old scenery.cfg method), and predictably everything returned to normal.

I don't really care what anyone says about the addon.xml method. I prefer the old method, and I will stick with it until I am dragged kicking and screaming to Guantanamo Bay.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I installed ORBx Central and all of my ORBx scenery packages and airports on the new PC, and made the mistake of installing them to a folder outside the P3D v4 folder. This was the addon.xml method (which I hate), and predictably a massive amount of my TrueEarth GB autogen was missing. So I uninstalled the lot, and reinstalled it all the normal way (within the P3D v4 folders; the good old scenery.cfg method), and predictably everything returned to normal.

I don't really care what anyone says about the addon.xml method. I prefer the old method, and I will stick with it until I am dragged kicking and screaming to Guantanamo Bay.

The main problem here is not the addon.xml method itself, but the way ORBX Central works. That's why even ORBX does not recommend to perform any migration to a folder outside the main P3D folder.

I have dozens, for not saying hundreds, of addons installed via the addon.xml method and with the assistance of a powerful tool named P4AO P3D Addon Organizer, everything works flawlessly.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

If that is the case, why do ORBx provide an option to install outside the main P3D folder?

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Does the problem of using the add-on XML method in Orbx Central only occur for those trying to migrate their current installs outside of P3D, or is it a problem on even a fresh sim and scenery install?

I've hesitated using Orbx Central since its release due to the several complaints I've read on the forums, but I would like to be able to install some of the content only available through the app, such as the recent update for AU v2.

Edited by blackbird7

31 minutes ago, blackbird7 said:

Does the problem of using the add-on XML method in Orbx Central only occur for those trying to migrate their current installs outside of P3D, or is it a problem on even a fresh sim and scenery install?

I've hesitated using Orbx Central since its release due to the several complaints I've read on the forums, but I would like to be able to install some of the content only available through the app, such as the recent update for AU v2.

In my experience, ORBX Central works better if you keep your ORBX scenery inside the P3D root, as always. Even in this case, you'll have to check after installing or uninstalling any ORBX scenery using OC, if your existing scenery layering order has been altered, to avoid display issues.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I have a full stack of ORBX, if installed the 'old way' these can later be Migrated out to the user folder.

This works well because the add-ons window in P3D allows individual items to be selected.

Also if required out of the User folder the bulk data can be moved by hand to an all users folder and the path altered in the xml.

I can think of nothing to be worried about with ORBX Central and Migration.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Works fine for me as long as I use the scenery.cfg method of installing.

With Orbx , layering must be done correctly and FTX4 with .cfg does it exactly like FTX 3.

I would prefer XML method but I don't want to take the risk of layer butchering and then issues like products ( Orbx HD Buildings) not showing up, and major elevation issues ( with airports in the FTX regions)

Seems A-OK migrated:

P3DAddonsWindow.jpg

I, too, hesitated for many months.  However, contributors to this forum convinced me that it was OK to make the switch to ORBX Central.  I did it over a month ago (perhaps a little longer than that) and have had ZERO problems.

I did not uninstall FTX Central Version 3 but ORBX asks me if I want to do that everytime I start up Central.  Since I've had no problems, I'll probably remove version 3 the next time it asks.

Stan

• Like 1

I like ORBX Central it works well - it is very slick and professionally high end.

Global base has to be installed the old way due to the way it works.

Hi,

I struggle also a little, didnt change now. Anyone try backup with simstarter, wich I use.

Therefor where no need to install another Backup-tool

Thanks for answer.

Stephan from Germany

My System

32 minutes ago, sal9000 said:

Hi,

I struggle also a little, didnt change now. Anyone try backup with simstarter, wich I use.

Therefor where no need to install another Backup-tool

Thanks for answer.

I use simstarter NG to start all my flights in different regions. The user needs to setup all the profiles, but once it's done, it's easy to add new scenery to the .xml profile. You can add, remove, or leave it alone. For me, it's the best utility I've ever purchased for P3D v4.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, edpatino said:

To me, most people that say that everything is right with ORBX Central is probably because they have not realized they have issues with their scenery.cfg file.

Unless one has a specific add-on that is compromised by a corrupt scenery library, the corruption may go unnoticed. There have been so many updates to ORBX Central that one would hope that they've finally wrung out all the bugs. I had to use Lorby's AOM to undo the damage to my scenery library, but that was caused by a previous version of ORBX Central. 

42 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

but that was caused by a previous version of ORBX Central. 

I have not tested the more recent v4.0.38 and 39, but previous versions were not working right on my system.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed