Sign in to follow this  
mikelockwood

Pilot2atc crashes when filing flight plan

Hi Dave,

I've been using your program for about a month now and am very satisfied with it. So far I've had no problems whatsoever. I think personally that it is the best ATC product available on the market right now especially with the voice interaction. 

Today I tried a flight from EGKK to LGTS but after validating the plan every time I tried to file it, it caused the program to crash. P3D continues running ok, it's just P2A that disappears. I use Simbrief to create the plans and import them into P2A. I've made sure that my Navigraph cycle is the same for Simbrief/P2A/PMDG so there should be no disharmony there. 

I'm using P2A version 2.6.1.1_64 _R3 by the way. I only realised to today that I had been using R2, so I updated to R3 hoping that there might be a bug fix. I tried an earlier EGKK flight plan and that loaded ok so I'm thinking that it could just be EGKK/LGTS plan that is faulty in some way. I tried revising the plan but this made no difference.

I've attached the last 3 log files and a copy of the flight plan. I hoping that you might be able to tell me what's wrong with the plan just in case this happens again at some future point, but also it might  help you eliminate this happening in the future if there is any revision that needs to be fixed in P2A.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r11yay0tkb8y7i1/P2A_2018_Trace_File3.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xh770gvicnpneq/P2A_2018_Trace_File4.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxp5gqayavg09b9/P2A_2018_Trace_File5.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hawrha70swufm90/EGKKLGTS_FSX_19Feb20.pln?dl=0

Many thanks,

Mike

****MIKE****

Mike,

Thanks for the report and the files.

I downloaded and imported the flight plan without issue.  I used Autoplan to get the SID, STAR and Approach since the flight plan did not include them.

I was able to file the plan without a problem.  

What procedures did you have in your plan?  Maybe one of them is causing the problem.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, thanks for the speedy response. Not sure what you mean by procedures? I’m away from my PC at the moment but I believe that I have P2A set up to add the sids and stars automatically to my imported plan in the config menu. I’ve never ever used Autoplan is this what should be using?

Many thanks Mike

****MIKE****

You can let it happen when you File or press the AutoPlan button, which is what I did.

Just to be sure, I tried it filing without using the AutoPlan button and it gave me the procedures (SIDs, STARs, and Approach) and filed OK.

It's a fairly long flight plan with lots of waypoints, so if you have the "Calculate Safe Enroute Altitudes" option checked, it can take a very long time to validate when you file.  It can seem as if the program crashed.

Try unchecking that option.

Dave

Dave,

I do have calculate safe enroute altitudes checked, but this wasn’t just a delay, the little blue circle whirled around for about 30 seconds then the program just disappeared altogether from the task bar and had to be restarted each time.

Mike

****MIKE****

I just tried it with Check Safe Enroute Altitudes and it didn't crash.  Something is different in our setting or environment.

When you get a chance to try it again, without that checked and also let me know what procedures it picks so I can try filing with them selected.

Also, if you could, send me your AppConfig.xml file so I can run with the same settings you have. That file is located at:

c:\users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Settings\AppConfig.xml

where <UserName> is your PC user name.  Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.
Thanks,

Dave

Ok thanks Dave, I’ll carry out all your suggestions and report back tomorrow. Wife will shoot me if I do any more experimenting tonight 😜.

Seriously though thank you for a fantastic service.

Regards,

****MIKE****

Hi Dave,

Well I'm at a loss. I booted up today, loaded P2A, imported my plan. Loaded P3D, same airport EGKK, same gate. Connected P2A to the sim, validated and filed and everything was fine.

I tried to think of anything that I did differently from last time. I remember when I wrote to you that I had opened P2A first and was studying the flight plan before I loaded P3D, whereas this time I had the sim already running before I validated and filed, so I tried both ways and the plan filed either way. 

Last week I had the simulator set up to fly the plan in July 2020 (it's where I'm going on holiday this year and I wanted to fly the route under the same conditions) Today I tried just using today's date just in case time was an issue, but the plan still filed ok either way.

So I can only conclude that a fresh reboot was all that was required, maybe it was just one of those quirky things that happens sometimes 😕

Tomorrow I will fly the plan and see what happens.

Many thanks for all your help,

Mike

****MIKE****

Mike,

Well, it must be in the setting because I experienced the disappearance of P2A when filing that flight plan.  

I'll see what I can find.

Thanks,

Dave

Based on what I can determine, the problem is actually in the flight plan.

I was able to import your flight plan and most of the time have the program crash when trying to file.

Then I imported it, unloaded the SID and STAR, and then did the File and it worked fine.  I then Exported the working flight plan and on the next import, it all worked fine.

So...I suggest you do the unloading of the SID and STAR, and then AutoPlan, delete the old flight plan and then export it with the new SID, STAR and Approach.  

Dave

Thanks for the prompt reply Dave. I've just completed a flight EGKK to LEZL successfully using P2A so I agree with you that it must be the plan. I was thinking also of sourcing the plan elsewhere and trying to import it and if successful with filing the new plan, then exam the 2 together to see if I could spot any differences. 

Anyway it's good to know that there is a workaround for such cases. It's the first time that it's happened using P2A. I've been thinking more about this, and I seem to recall the odd occasion when I've used P3D for flight planning and crashed P3D with a rogue plan. 

Thanks for taking the time to research this for me, you offer a superb service, perhaps it may also help someone else if they have the same problem in the future.

Regards, Mike

****MIKE****