Sign in to follow this  
Chaos81

Short haul flights in real life

Guest Robin MacLaurin

Hi; My question to you is this. Do the major airlines use their aircraft like the Airbuse's or Boeing's on short haul flights of say 500 miles and under? If for instance one would fly from CYUL to CYOW or CYYZ is it realstic to use a 767 or 757? For training flights, what would be the size of the circuit saying they used Mirabel to pratice either touch and goes or full stop landings? For training circuits what would the altitude be FL240 or higher? What I'm trying to establish here is a base for using FS9 to duplicate some of the above mentioned flights. Any advice or hints greatly appreciated . Robin

Delta used 757s from Atlanta to Birmingham, AL for many years. However, they no longer use 757s on this route. American uses 757s from Dallas to Tulsa on some flights. American has a maintenance facility at Tulsa, and therefore, they conduct test flights in the Tulsa area.You might want to check http://flightaware.com and check Tulsa's airport to see if you catch an American Airlines flight with a flight number in the 9000s. In fact, they were supposed to do one last night, around 7:30 PM, but they didn't go through with the flight.

About five years ago, I flew on a Delta 767 from Salt Lake to Phoenix. I believe it's a bit further than 500 miles but not by much. Our altitude during that flight, in usual 767 fashion, was FL410.-John

Guest Robin MacLaurin

Thanks all for your respones it is giving me an idea of how to approach my short haul flights in Fs9. Robin

Guest Rockcliffe

The shortest 767 flight I've taken is Toronto to Ottawa -- probably about 250 miles or 40 minutes. Most Ottawa to Montreal (YUL) flights are CRJs or Dash 8s these days.BlairCYOW

Generally, capacity is what dictates the size of the aircraft. If the 767 twice or 3 times a day is more economical then a 737 5 or 6 times a day, they'll use it.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

to the original posterif you want to find out do a search in www.amadeus.net It shows non-stop flights for some certain airlines and what a/c they will useQantas always use their 767 and one 744 flight per day from mel-syd and return which is a 400NM or so flight

Delta uses 764's and 763's on their KATL-KMCO route which is about a 350 mile trip. Looking at some flights for that route, they also use a 777 at least once.They also use 763's on the KATL-KPBI route which is a little less they 500 miles.

interesting thread, it seems there is no ryhmm or reason, almost anything goes ciao!Brian Sommers

Ciao!

"interesting thread, it seems there is no ryhmm or reason, almost anything goes "Given the last post to the thread was three years ago before your reply, makes me wonder if anything has changed, given the current economy, in the way airlines handle movement and scheduling of aircraft like the 757 and 767.Regards.John

I'd say it all depends on volume. It was mentioned earlier that the economical solution wins, I suppose that's still the case today.Lufthansa operates A300's between Frankfurt and Munich (30 minutes or so).To give examples in Turkey, Turkish operates A321's and A310's up to 1 hour flights, Istanbul-Izmir, Istanbul-Ankara or Istanbul-Antalya.I've even seen a fully packed A343 on a one hour flight from Istanbul to Adana.

>Tokyo to Seoul, a fairly short trip: 747s.>>Jeju Island to Gwangju, a 15 minute flight with a cruise alt>of 14,000: KAL was using old Airbus widebodys. Not sure what>they're using now.>>Bryan>JAL or one of those Japanese air carriers used 747's in all-economy class configuration to do domestic flights like Narita to Osaka.Talk about high-density seating!I don't know if they still do that. I have not seen many 747's in all-economy class configuration though.In another case, I saw a ferry flight from KJFK to KLGA. I think that was the world's shortest ferry flight. :)RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB