Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Recent 9900K 1151 w/ Noctua air cooler build?

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

I would suggest the NH-D15S Noel. It has one fan as opposed to two, but the loss of one fan only increases temp by two degrees. And of course you can add a second if you want to. Its offset so its further away from the uppermost PCIe slot and has better RAM clearance. The D15 is now available all black, don't thing the "S" variant is yet though. 

65 mm is the RAM clearance for the D15S. I don't have any issue with my GSkill Ripjaws V. 

For cases I would suggest Phanteks. Love their cases. I have the Evolv TG, but the newer, updated Evolv X is gorgeous with some great features. I wouldn't say it's the ultimate airflow case but certainly fine for air cooling.

The older TG that I have isn't set up for radiators, the front panel tends to stave the front rad. But the newer X design has much better intakes and better ventilation on top. So fine for air or water. 

Might be worth looking at the Phanteks range. 

Hey Martin can you get me a link to the specific Evolv X case, the one with the better ventilation?  There are many of them with that name on newegg.com.   If I could find another HAF-X I'd do it because it has fabulous air flow, but it's also full tower which seems overkill to me!

Also, I'm seeing reference to 'Silent' on various case offerings from Phanteks and Fractal which both have great ratings.  I'm wondering if Silent is something to avoid as it may not cool as well w/ sound dampening material?

OK after looking at many cases this morning here's what I am after:

• ATX Mid Tower with lots of interior space
  • Full on great air flow and includes all fans as I don't want to have to find fans to fill it with
  • I like the removable drive bay for at least 3 if not 4 drives
  • I don't care about lighting!
  • Quality workmanship and ease of cable routing etc
  • ATX power supply tolerant
  • Power button and connections need to be on top or out the left side if you you're looking at the front of the case
Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

My case is [Cooler Master] 693 II Advanced USB 3.0 CMS-693-KKN1

Mark

Prepare3Dv5 / ASUS Prime Z390A / I9 9900K @ 4.8 GHz / GSkill 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHZ CL15 @ 3400 MHz / RTX4070TI / Windows 10 Home / Monitor Philips 436M6VBPAB / Force Feedback Yoke / Thrustmaster PTR rudder pedals

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Hey Martin can you get me a link to the specific Evolv X case, the one with the better ventilation?  There are many of them with that name on newegg.com.   If I could find another HAF-X I'd do it because it has fabulous air flow, but it's also full tower which seems overkill to me!

Also, I'm seeing reference to 'Silent' on various case offerings from Phanteks and Fractal which both have great ratings.  I'm wondering if Silent is something to avoid as it may not cool as well w/ sound dampening material?

OK after looking at many cases this morning here's what I am after:

• ATX Mid Tower with lots of interior space
  • Full on great air flow and includes all fans as I don't want to have to find fans to fill it with
  • I like the removable drive bay for at least 3 if not 4 drives
  • I don't care about lighting!
  • Quality workmanship and ease of cable routing etc
  • ATX power supply tolerant
  • Power button and connections need to be on top or out the left side if you you're looking at the front of the case

The Evolv X isn't a high airflow case Noel. Its reasonable for airflow, but if you want as you say, "full on great airflow" then it would be a different case in the Phanteks line up you would be looking for. 

It is true that so called "silent" cases tend to be more limited in terms of airflow but my philosophy is always to ask how much airflow I actually need and if over cooling might be unnecessary. As I mentioned, I have the old Evolv TG, that has very limited intake from the front, but I have found this not to be an issue at all if cooling with an air cooler. However, the TG version of the Evolv has proven to be an issue with those water cooling and installing radiators. 

The Phanteks cases are here...

http://www.phanteks.com/

Best idea is to look for a case you think might be adequate and then look at what the reviews say. In particular, Gamers Nexus YouTube videos and their website will be informative as they generally go to great lengths to test cooling efficiency. 

OK thanks again.  Yes I want full on air flow I will need all the help I can get as I'm not by my a/c unit now but in an interior room.  Plus, I always use studio monitor headphones so noise is 100% irrelevant fortunately.  

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

9 hours ago, martin-w said:

I would suggest the NH-D15S Noel. It has one fan as opposed to two, but the loss of one fan only increases temp by two degrees. And of course you can add a second if you want to. Its offset so its further away from the uppermost PCIe slot and has better RAM clearance. The D15 is now available all black, don't thing the "S" variant is yet though. 

65 mm is the RAM clearance for the D15S. I don't have any issue with my GSkill Ripjaws V. 

For cases I would suggest Phanteks. Love their cases. I have the Evolv TG, but the newer, updated Evolv X is gorgeous with some great features. I wouldn't say it's the ultimate airflow case but certainly fine for air cooling.

The older TG that I have isn't set up for radiators, the front panel tends to stave the front rad. But the newer X design has much better intakes and better ventilation on top. So fine for air or water. 

Might be worth looking at the Phanteks range. 

Thanks Martin, I found a case and now I am looking for the cooler.  If I buy the D15 can I remove one fan and effectively have a D15S?  If so that is my preference so I can go either way from the get go.

Noel

Just did a build that may have what you are looking for

Phanteks P600S case. This case has plenty of room for the NH-D15

i7-9700K

Noctua NHU12-A

4x 8 GB G Skill 3200 CL14 RAM

500 GB  & 1 TB NVMe SSD's

850 W Seasonic PSU

recycled GTX 1070 FTW

CPU running in low-mid 50's in P3D (4.7 GHz, 1080p monitor).  I will think about a video card after the nVidia 3000 series are released. 

Stephen Forsgren

Thanks Stephen.  There is a dazzling array of speed choices for RAM how did you decide on 3200?  I understand lower CAS is best and costliest, but again, why 3200?  I am looking at an MSI MPG Z390 EDGE motherboard and of course it supports the fully array of speeds too!

Noel

It was a little more expensive for the lower CL, but should translate to better quality chips on the RAM.  3200 MHz seemed a good balance for performance and cost.

Stephen Forsgren

On 2/21/2020 at 2:22 AM, Noel said:

I found a case and now I am looking for the cooler.

If you haven’t already bought a case, I’d highly recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It’s a big, full tower case which is very easy to work in, has excellent air flow and can accommodate a very wide choice of cooling solutions. It’s a few years old now but still available and competes well with newer case we’ll above its price range. Best of all, it’s screwed together rather than being riveted so is full customisable. It’s also surprisingly good value for what you get. It’s functional rather than flashy (no LEDs!) but is well worth considering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

If you haven’t already bought a case, I’d highly recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It’s a big, full tower case which is very easy to work in, has excellent air flow and can accommodate a very wide choice of cooling solutions. It’s a few years old now but still available and competes well with newer case we’ll above its price range. Best of all, it’s screwed together rather than being riveted so is full customisable. It’s also surprisingly good value for what you get. It’s functional rather than flashy (no LEDs!) but is well worth considering.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

That is a great suggestion thank you for that.  I had put this case in the cart, https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-obsidian-series-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811139060?Item=N82E16811139060,  and it's really almost identical to the Phanteks but it's $169 instead of $99 so again, great suggestion I haven't completed the purchase!  I was looking for maximum air flow and both have this capacity.  Cheers!

Edited by Noel

Noel

1 minute ago, Noel said:

That is a great suggestion thank you for that.

It’s a great case and I can’t see mine needing to be replaced for the next few builds, at least. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with it, plus it gives you some spare cash for other things.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 2/21/2020 at 2:22 AM, Noel said:

Thanks Martin, I found a case and now I am looking for the cooler.  If I buy the D15 can I remove one fan and effectively have a D15S?  If so that is my preference so I can go either way from the get go.

No Noel. The D15S is BETTER than the D15. As I said, its further away from the PCIe slot so not so close to the graphics card. It also has better RAM clearance.

You can still go "either way". As I mentioned, the D15S comes with clips so you can add the second fan if you want.

I run with one fan simply because the diference in temp with two fans is only 2 degrees.

Edit: unless of course it's because you like the black D15 and the S isnt available in black. Either way both coolers cool the same with one fan each or two each.  

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

No Noel. The D15S is BETTER than the D15. As I said, its further away from the PCIe slot so not so close to the graphics card. It also has better RAM clearance.

You can still go "either way". As I mentioned, the D15S comes with clips so you can add the second fan if you want.

I run with one fan simply because the diference in temp with two fans is only 2 degrees.

Edit: unless of course it's because you like the black D15 and the S isnt available in black. Either way both coolers cool the same with one fan each or two each.  

I guess you're saying the S is actually differently designed than the D15 so it not just a D15 w/o the 2nd fan?  I thought it was the latter.  Does the S come w/ the 2nd fan as optional, or do you have to order a 2nd fan that fits?

Edited by Noel

Noel

Yes, the S comes with one fan. It comes with clips in case you wish to BUY and add a second fan

If you buy a D15, not the S, that's fine, but just know you will have a cooler that is very close to your graphics card and without the improved ram clearence.

The S is, IIRC, is cheaper than the D15, so you shouldn't be spending more money by buying the S and a second fan if/when you need it.

You wont need a second fan though, not for a mere two degrees extra cooling.

It's your choice, but Personally I dont see the point in opting for the D15 and losing out on the better compatability of the S. The S is the high compatability version.

"Tailored to provide superior RAM and PCIe compatibility, the NH-D15S is an asymmetrical single fan version of Noctua’s award-winning flagship model, the NH-D15. Thanks to its asymmetrical design, the NH-D15S clears the top PCIe slot on most µATX and ATX motherboards. At the same time, the single fan setup and recessed lower fins guarantee 100% RAM compatibility with memory modules of up to 65mm height. Users who have sufficient room can also upgrade the cooler with either a 120mm or round 140mm fan on the front fin stack for further improved performance in dual fan mode"

https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15s

Yes is the answer to your question, as I said on page one, the S is offset and with better RAM clearence.

Edited by martin-w