Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Hows that Nvidia Frame limiter working out?

I'm considering updating my GPU driver even though I am very happy with how P3D is running.

I want to get some feedback on  the FPS limiter in NCP. It would be nice not to have to run my display at 30hz 😁

I recall a post that indicated the driver used more cpu cycles. Rob Ainscough if I recall correctly.

any comments or opinions welcome!😁

40 minutes ago, Avidean said:

I'm considering updating my GPU driver even though I am very happy with how P3D is running.

I want to get some feedback on  the FPS limiter in NCP. It would be nice not to have to run my display at 30hz 😁

I recall a post that indicated the driver used more cpu cycles. Rob Ainscough if I recall correctly.

any comments or opinions welcome!😁

Since the new nVidia driver I've reset my monitor's refresh back to 60, limited FPS to 29 in NCP and set the VSYNC (in NCP) to half refresh rate. I need more flight hours and observations, but so far I've liked these settings more than previous ones. I still need to check what if I don't use any VSYNC at all, but it's going smooth now.

Cheers,

Edited by Dirk98
  • Like 1

Too much stuttering for me after using the Nvidia Frame limiter, so I disabled it with the new driver.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I set 30 in NCP, 40 in p3d and using dynamic fftf. Feels smoother to me. Hope it is not placebo.

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

Hmmm, I doesn't seem to work at all on my system. I installed 442.37 and set the Max Frame Rate, under Manage 3D Setting to 29fps for Prepar3D.exe and in the game I am getting in the 50's with or without Vsync and TB

32 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Hmmm, I doesn't seem to work at all on my system. I installed 442.37 and set the Max Frame Rate, under Manage 3D Setting to 29fps for Prepar3D.exe and in the game I am getting in the 50's with or without Vsync and TB

Did you restart P3D?

Bert

8 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Did you restart P3D?

Yep! I did all the usual for Graphic driver update. Restarted the system set Max Frame Limiter to 29fps and now I just tried it with 40fps saved the changes. Restarted the P3D and nothing still hitting mid 50's with default scenario with Vysnc and TB either on or off.

36 minutes ago, Avidean said:

Yep! I did all the usual for Graphic driver update. Restarted the system set Max Frame Limiter to 29fps and now I just tried it with 40fps saved the changes. Restarted the P3D and nothing still hitting mid 50's with default scenario with Vysnc and TB either on or off.

This is strange. My monitor is at 60Hz now, and I have only one setting in NCP that is 30 fps. 

No VSYNC is needed anymore neither in P3D nor in NCP, the screen counter shows around 30fps, and it's fluid.

Cheers,

Edited by Dirk98

Try Default Restore/Apply (after updating or making changes) before setting the limiter again.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

Too much stuttering for me after using the Nvidia Frame limiter, so I disabled it with the new driver.

Cheers, Ed

Agreed. I lasted 5 minutes at FlyTampa KLAS and went directly back to RTSS.

Did not pass go and did not collect 200.

Smooth once again.

Cheers,

Mark

16 minutes ago, newtie said:

Agreed. I lasted 5 minutes at FlyTampa KLAS and went directly back to RTSS.

Did not pass go and did not collect 200.

Smooth once again.

Cheers,

Mark

Also strange, didn't notice any in the most demanding approaches, like for example EGLL 27R. But I'll try with RTSS too.

No issues at all.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

48 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Try Default Restore/Apply (after updating or making changes) before setting the limiter again.

If I understand correctly. Restore NCP Manage 3D Setting to Default. Then reapply the Frame Rate Limiter to Prepar3D.exe

Anyway, did that. Still getting mid 50's with test scenario in P3D

Hmmm, Doesn't seem to work at all anything. I reset NCP global setting to default and applied the Frame Rate Limiter globally but everything is still running at much higher FPS than 40.