Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

February 20th, 2020 – Development/Insider Update

Just now, MatthewS said:

ok, well 99% have undulations that are perceptible to some degree, the other 1% appear perfectly flat.

This is of course wrong again, it's more the other way round.

1 minute ago, FDEdev said:

This is of course wrong again, it's more the other way round.

Rubbish... Post me a picture of your 99% of runways then, taken from ground level, that show no undulations and are perfectly flat.

• Like 2

Matthew S

14 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Rubbish... Post me a picture of your 99% of runways then, taken from ground level, that show no undulations and are perfectly flat.

You want me to post +36000 pictures?  🤣  Do you realize that it is the general aim to build flat runways?

Btw. there are countless cockpit videos which show, what a surprise, completely flat runways. 

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Btw. there are countless cockpit videos which show, what a surprise, completely flat runways.

Link one here then.

Matthew S

10 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

You want me to post +36000 pictures?

And you'd have us believe that those 36,000+ runways appear perfectly flat... Like I said... Rubbish!

Edited by MatthewS

Matthew S

Oh boy, was I wrong about this one!! 🙂

This is really an amazing platform - but I can certainly also see room for improvement. It's quite amazing to see, that they have gone into detail with vehicles, ground services, moving jetways etc - but (and not to be a 'party-pooper') let's not forget, that FSX had these elements as well. Some better than others. 

Without knowing exactly what and how the ground traffic and service vehicles are implemented, I doubt that 'they have replaced GSX'. The way I see it, it's a great starting point and can serve as a 'launch platform' or groundbase for further refinements from 3rd party developers. It really looks amazing and I don't mind, that 3rd party developers like FSDreamTeam, FlyTampa, FlightBeam etc can make improvements of the airports.

Hats off to Asobo and Microsoft! It's really starting to look good.

Can't wait.

• Like 5

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

On 2/21/2020 at 12:49 AM, FDEdev said:

Look to the left where the grass meets the taxiway... like I said, your notion is rubbish!

• Like 2

Matthew S

6 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

Look to the left where the grass meets the taxiway... like I said, your notion is rubbish!

I give up. Apparently you don't know the difference between a runway and a taxiway/apron. Bye.

• Upvote 2

OMG!  That's SABA!  TNCS.  Wow, that really looks good.

Hook

• Like 4

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The runways look flat in all of those examples. We're not saying they're perfectly level but they definitely look that way. Matthew, you're jumping to conclusions based on a video that didn't have a lot of low angled shots pointing straight down the runway. Additionally, did you now hear the presenter talk about how they implement sloped runways and did you completely miss Courchevel?

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I've been waiting to see the airports and... Wow!! Not disappointed!

One thing I do hope they've thought about that wasn't really mentioned in the video is giving users/developers more control over airport and ai behavior.

For example, an interface that allows you to specify active runway(s) according to wind speed and direction, one way taxi links, multiple ground frequencies, etc. Control that will help do away with all of the afcad hacks like the inactive crosswind runways that are needed to have non-parallel runways active, or plumbing to get pull-thru parking spots to work for ai.

More control over landings and takeoffs would be good too -

• being able to set aircraft sizes for start positions so smaller aircraft could takeoff from intersections
  • being able to specify where aircraft on approach receive landing clearance so that user and ai aircraft can be cleared to takeoff or cross runways even if an aircraft is on final
  • being able to specify takeoff clearance points so that you don't have to wait until the hold short line to receive takeoff clearance if there are no other aircraft around
  • having named hold points on taxiways so taxiing aircraft stop at certain points rather than 1 km back from where their path crosses another plane's or the runway....  
  • One way runways so aircraft don't pull 180's right after landing to get to the nearest exit, or taxiways that are weight/wingspan dependent.

Just some ideas so that we can get the realism of the plane's movements as realistic as the graphics in this video.

• Like 3