Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

February 20th, 2020 – Development/Insider Update

46 minutes ago, BEARlyThereCDN said:

I have to say, as excited and blown away I am with each Development Video/Insider update I see, I am equally depressed that my system will most likely not run the sim. 😥 Being on a fixed income, I will not be able to upgrade when the system specs come out. I'm  slowly resigning myself that I'll be a FSX'er for my remaining years.

forum.png

I wouldn't be too sure about that. The new sim can apparently automatically scale things back to allow a wide range of users to enjoy it, and you also have to consider that FSX does what it does and sometimes struggles with FPS because it is so CPU bound, whereas the new sim will use the GPU for much of that work. The main reason flight simmers have had to buy flashy computer rigs in recent years, is because with FS etc being so CPU-bound, they needed a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

Also bear in mind that it would be entirely counter productive in terms of potential sales for Microsoft to make a flight sim which could only be run on some kind of supercomputer, because as you so rightly point out, not everyone who would wish to use it will have such a thing.

I am willing to bet that if you cranked up Call of Duty, or Skyrim or some such and slid the graphics options up high, it would be flying along on your computer, and that is probably a better indication of what it can do than to base an assumption on how it handles FSX. A good test of its processing mettle, would be to see how the latest train sims run on it, because they are more akin to the way the new flight sim will process stuff with lots of detail. If it can run those okay, I bet it'll run the new flight sim okay too.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

18 minutes ago, Chock said:

terms of potential sales for Microsoft to make a flight sim which could only be run on some kind of supercomputer

You should go back in time and tell that to every MS flight sim publisher ever.

Flightsim has always pushed well beyond the limits of current hardware and long may it continue.

AutoATC Developer

21 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

They said they won't be right? 

I don't really care who's wrong or who's right. I just dislike the argumentative and often disrespectful tone some users in these forums spread around.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 13

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

1 minute ago, Rimshot said:

I don't really care who's wrong or who's right. I just dislike the argumentative and often disrespectful tone some users in these forums spread around.

I take issue with this opinion and would like to have a pointlessly heated argument with you about it, for no readily-discernible reason! 🤣

• Like 7

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

8 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Which airports exactly are you talking about?  In x-plane I always switched this 'feature' off because in most cases it was way too pronounced.

Spot on!  I love XP but it's typically unrealistic 

In a lot of videos you're seeing contour because of the telephoto lens people use.  From a flight deck it's a pretty wide view.

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

I take issue with this opinion and would like to have a pointlessly heated argument with you about it, for no readily-discernible reason! 🤣

Yeah, Include me, but dont ask for proof as I'm cleaning my computer today. 

• Like 2

The current (as of this video) list of runway types in the editor is as follows.

Asphalt, Cement, Concrete, Dirt, Grass, Gravel, Macadam, Planks, Sand, Tarmac, and Water

I wonder if they have floats for any of the planes. I also wonder what the landing on the planks would be like in game.

1 hour ago, Rimshot said:

Oh please no! Let Asobo do it right. The undulation in X-Plane is overdone and that much overdone that I even prefer the flat runways in FSX and Prepar3d.

But wow, what an amazing video again. What this team is doing is way beyond what I ever expected from a new simulator.

If they do better, fine by me, but for me, it *MUST* be there, otherwise I go back to X-Plane. I cannot stand, for reasons unknown to me, perfectly flat runways.

By the way, not sure if you know about Ortho4XP, but starting at v1.30 it has a "smoothing" functionality which will interpolate elevation points in the mesh, add points in between (tesselation?) and smooth them out. So I never encountered a runway with "overdone" undulations anymore in X-Plane. By the looks of it, I'm guessing you didn't know about this feature or about Ortho4XP?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bashope said:

If they do better, fine by me, but for me, it *MUST* be there, otherwise I go back to X-Plane. I cannot stand, for reasons unknown to me, perfectly flat runways.

Nice knowing ya, lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Torg Smith said:

The current (as of this video) list of runway types in the editor is as follows.

Asphalt, Cement, Concrete, Dirt, Grass, Gravel, Macadam, Planks, Sand, Tarmac, and Water

I wonder if they have floats for any of the planes. I also wonder what the landing on the planks would be like in game.

This is what worries me. No metal mat runways is a no-buy.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 minute ago, Casualcas said:

Nice knowing ya, lol

No idea what you're on about. The undulated runways are there already. So all they have to do is *NOT* remove the undulation. I hope *NOT* doing something is relatively easy to do 🙂

Are you already bored with alpha testing? Just asking... 

On 1/14/2020 at 7:12 PM, bashope said:

I'm happy to inform you it finally appeared on my Insider Hub thingy and I'm installing it as we speak. This is probably the last you'll hear from me in the next 2 years or so. Cheers everyone it was nice knowing you.

25 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Your post should  be pinned above and agreed upon before people could post  😏 !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

3 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Are you already bored with alpha testing? Just asking... 

Sometimes, yes. Why?