Sign in to follow this  
ual763

Found reason for massive redwood sized trees.

In the latest video, you could see massive trees again, in the scene from Chicago O'Hare. You can see here, that they dwarf the terminals and the Hilton O'Hare.

ord1.jpg

This is the correct sizing of the trees:

ord-sat.png

After zooming in on them, I think the reason they are appearing so massive, is that they are actually stacked on top of each other in the sim shots.  The actual tree models themselves appear to be appropriately sized, but when you stack two trees on top of each other, they obviously look wrong.

ord1.png

Hopefully, this will get fixed.  Should be an easy fix. I hope.

• Like 9

Huh, good catch. Perhaps this could be affecting photogrammetry areas, where the custom tree models are being placed over the photogrammetry trees.

• Like 1

It's happening for Rio airport as well... Massively oversized trees... Looks comical!

Come on Asobo, get the scaling right!  It can't be that difficult!

Matthew S

15 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

It's happening for Rio airport as well... Massively oversized trees... Looks comical!

Come on Asobo, get the scaling right!  It can't be that difficult!

I wouldn’t really call it a scaling issue.  What seems to be happening for certain tree types, is that they are being stacked on top of each other giving them the illusion of massive heights.  They just need to figure out how to force all of them to ground level.  I have no doubt they will fix this, as it is so obvious.

Here are some more examples of the stacked trees in the video:

FCA82-F6-F-DD6-B-4-BBE-BDB0-7-BD87-A56-D
EDA814-C9-2-D1-D-4-BC3-8-D08-62-F698-D6-

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ual763 said:

they are being stacked on top of each other giving them the illusion of massive heights

Ok, hard to tell with Rio because of the altitude, but in anycase hopefully they fix it easily... and good spotting!

• Like 1

Matthew S

14 minutes ago, MatthewS said:

It can't be that difficult!

I don't think it's a question of being difficult or not.

My understading of why FSX has building and tree sizes way off scale has to do with autogen density. To fill a city with buildings and forests with trees, and make it look realistic from the air at the correct scale, would consume way too much resources. So the cheap trick was to increase their sizes ... double the size and you quarter the resources required. I would not be surprised if there are similar considerations at play in MSFS.

2 minutes ago, gunther said:

I would not be surprised if there are similar considerations at play in MSFS.

If that's true then FS2020 is a failure.... Give me less density but properly sized trees and buildings.

• Like 2

Matthew S

1 minute ago, MatthewS said:

If that's true then FS2020 is a failure.... Give me less density but properly sized trees and buildings.

Hmmmm ... run FSX with autogen density set to "sparse" and see how you like that.

A solution might be to have a variable scale of vegetation in the sim. Correct scale in the vicinity of airports only. Something for the devs to figure out I suppose.

Just now, gunther said:

Hmmmm ... run FSX with autogen density set to "sparse" and see how you like that

I've always run FSX and P3D with autogen turned completely off... Why? because the oversized autogen buildings and trees look ridiculous.

Matthew S

Increase the size of autogen trees and buildings only make the scenery look 'fuller', it doesn't make the scenery look 'realistic' from the air, in fact, this trick makes everything looks wrong from the air.

• Like 3

I do agree that the size of the buildings and trees don't look right and definitely needed to be fixed, they went very far to bring this beautiful experience and it won't be done 100% without getting the proper scaling correctly. 

Evan

• Like 1

FSX was designed with grossly oversized autogen with the idea that it would make the world look "fuller".  Remember, when FSX was being coded, desktop PC's typically had single core processors, dual core processors were expensive, so making the autogen a realistic size and then multiplying the number of autogen objects displayed by a factor of 2 or 3 would have created such a massive load that the average PC would not have been able to run FSX at all.  I do hope that MSFS will have autogen that is more realistic in size.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

DCS and Aerofly have correctly sized trees/forrests, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 2