Sign in to follow this  
Trubshaw

FSX STEAM Package

Hello All

i fly FSX Gold Plus Acceleration , was the top package many years ago, I probably have one of the early disc produced.

Thinking of Steam , which I understand is FSX with all the updates and mods built in, so should be just a little faster than the standard FSX.

I fly as professional so the maximum number of big plane I could handle would be about 6 .types.

I live in the UK, but fly in the States as most airports have ILS, NDBs with inner middle and outer marker. Used in the older medium to large plane, yes I use FMC, today’s standard aviation has progressed,but like to work under load hence the NDBs

is there a Professional package of Steam  , what packages would you recommend for me.

Many Thanks 

Trubshaw

Only one Steam package just like only one FSX gold package that contained Acceleration.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for reply,,: I have a dual Operating system,  both  OS dedicated to FSX,  W7 and W10 both have FSX installed on PCIe drives M1 and M2 super fast loading, My opinion just mine only, I think W7 is still the best for FSX , 

As I understand it, these super fast drives make no difference in performance to the running speed of FSX.

i also have a 2 GB , Can’t Remember the name, but it’s SSD Extreme  660mb/ sec ?  I am thinking of partitioning into 2x 1 GB .

And installing FSX Steam, I have some VFR  scenery, and about 6 or 8 aircraft will they work in Steam. As Steam is basically a modded FSX.

Regards Alan

FSX-SE is indeed a "modded" FSX but some aircraft also need "modded" installers to work. The installers generally include the FSX-SE option but it depends on the aircraft developer and if the aircraft is dependent on the FSX version. Some are and some are not. You should also be aware that any dll that relies on the FSX-SE version will not work in the current beta version available at Steam.

I bought FSX-SE for £5 some time ago but when I found that the simulator was identical and that performance was only improved by making the default configuration include lowered settings, I returned to FSX Gold and have stayed there.

If you have working copies of FSX Gold, there seems little or no point in changing to FSX-SE. For the record and in my opinion, both FSX "versions" work better under Windows 10 than under any previous version of Windows, as does everything else. 

Hii Reader.

Well that puts things in a muddle ,  Nicks FSX  Bible  says  go for Steam  as all the updates are built in. And it’s smoother running.

My FSXs are bog Standard CFG files. Frame rates are about the same in both operating systems, I don’t know about other programs run on w10 as I just use it for slimming .

But I find navigating to system components and files, much easier on W7.

As for sim connect on w10 I can’t get it to work

Regards Trubshaw  

Your choice of course. Simconnect works here in Windows 10 as well as Windows 7. I also have a dual boot system. There are no "updates" in FSX-SE that are not in FSX Gold, they are essentially identical but, as I mentioned, some of the default settings in FSX-SE are lower than the defaults in FSX which make it run a little better at default settings. As I have already been down the path that you propose, I just thought that I would share my experience.

Edited by Reader

16 hours ago, Trubshaw said:

i fly FSX Gold Plus Acceleration

No sir, sorry, but you don't.  This is a long standing pet peeve of mine, so please don't take this personally.

There is no such thing as a version of FSX called "Gold".  There IS a marketing package called "Gold", which contains two different versions of FSX, FSX Deluxe and FSX Acceleration and you have to choose which version you will install.  There is no installation for anything called Gold.

If you fell for the "I'm getting some special or leatest version of FSX then you got duped inot the purchase just like I assume MS wanted you to be.

16 hours ago, Trubshaw said:

Thinking of Steam , which I understand is FSX with all the updates and mods built in, so should be just a little faster than the standard FSX.

It is, both for the installer and when running the sim. It is the best and most complete version of FSX, though I left it years ago for P3D, and I understand but have no confirmed that FSX:SE was recently modded again (this time by Microsoft) the mods have created some issues.  Again, this is what I've heard and I have neither the time or inclination to look into this.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Trubshaw, to be absolutely clear:

There were three options, FSX, FSX Deluxe Edition and the Acceleration expansion pack.

FSX was first updated to SP1 and then SP2, both applicable to FSX and FSX Deluxe Edition.

The Acceleration pack included SP2 but also numerous other enhancements.

FSX Gold Edition is simply the whole FSX package. It includes FSX Deluxe Edition SP1 on two DVDs and the "Acceleration" expansion pack on one DVD, the Acceleration expansion pack includes FSX SP2 as well as other enhancements.

I originally bought FSX, here is a picture of my copy. As an aside, note that Windows XP was the current operating system.

4.jpg

Because I never did buy the Deluxe Edition or the Acceleration Pack, I was delighted to buy the Gold Edition which included both and cost considerably less money that the original DVDs did. One can see that there is no attempt to portray it as anything other than what it is, the full set of options in one pack, FSX Deluxe Edition and Acceleration expansion pack, as written in the middle of the cover and sold under the name "Gold Edition".

Here is a picture of my copy of that.

3.jpg

This is essentially what you get if you buy the Steam Edition, FSX Gold Edition, the full set of options.

If you already own FSX Gold Edition, or FSX Deluxe Edition and the Acceleration pack, you are not buying anything that you do not already own and I would remind you that if you do buy the Steam Edition and choose to use the current beta version, many products that rely on a certain dll version will not work.

Edited by Reader

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

If you already own FSX Gold, or FSX deluxe Edition and the Acceleration pack, you are not buying anything that you do not already own.

Actually, not accurate.

FSX:SE contains fixes, such as double processing of the Autogen (I mean processing the exact same data twice on a different processing thread, which served no purpose except to reduce performance) as well as a few other things.  FSX:SE is FSX Acceleration, except with fixes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

From my experience developing I would recommend you save the space, the differences in performance are negligible, content identical .

If you are looking to increase performance / capacity your looking at 64 bit .

Many high fidelity sims benefit enormously from the available memory address space .

Best CJ

If we are to debate this further, the Steam Edition also contains fixes that some users may not even notice but that I prefer not to have. One of them results in static aircraft at airports that are already in view popping into view as the airport is approached and disappearing from view before the airport does behind the aircraft. I see this as an undesirable default feature and one that is not present in FSX. I have no doubt that it will increase performance by a tiny percentage but it looks poor.

I note Chuck's contribution that the content is identical. 

For what it is worth, if you want a copy of FSX Steam Edition, I would recommend waiting for the next Steam sale, when it should be available at a substantially reduced price. As I have mentioned, I do not think that you will see any worthwhile improvement over what you have already.

Edited by Reader

Hello Simmers.

Thank you all for replying, I do have the Gold Edition of FSX,  Also I have flown 30000 hours , But I really respect your knowledge of Flight Simulator , I am nowhere near your level , Also in the passed listened into Vat Sim and there are some very professional ATCs out there .

I have spent more time fiddling with FSX than Flying, I think P3D x64 is the way to go, But I can’t even get Sim Connect working , My network is working and can connect a couple of client maps using FSUIPC  which is a really good interface..

Another problem I might encounter is with my Hardware ,  Go Flight seems to work with everything great piece of kit but doesn’t look the part.  But always works.

PFC Console and Avionics Stack , Old version which has a switch for X Plane, not sure if this would work with P3D? But dose resemble the part, and the tuning switches feel and sound like the real  thing.

And CP Flight MCP resembles the real thing, but can be a bit twitchy in the software when running FSX.

So I am a bit hesitant in changing , I would really like spend my time flying , 

Trubshaw