Sign in to follow this  
Groovy_Kincaid

Microsoft Unveils New XBOX Specs

This is the new XBOX specs. This MAY or MAY NOT help determine requirements for MSFS. Just thought I would share:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/2/24/21150578/microsoft-xbox-series-x-specs-performance-12-teraflops-gpu-details-features?__twitter_impression=true

• Upvote 1

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

What’s the use of such high spec if it’s not for VR? Obviously Phil Spence is not a fan of VR. 

For short term commercial profit he is right. For long term development of the whole business this is wrong. Pity.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, dongdongliushui said:

What’s the use of such high spec if it’s not for VR? Obviously Phil Spence is not a fan of VR.

It will be used for other games and not just FS. This is not saying that the minimum specs for FS is what the XBOX’s specs are. You can gauge how you want but this is the first indication of something that has the potential to run FS.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

7 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

I personally think 3D monitors is the future. But we can all think what we like.

You'd better imagine something better than 3D monitors for the future. 

• Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, 12 TFLOPS in GPU is like having a RTX 2080Ti...

My GTX1080 have 9 TFLOPS by reference, and a GTX 1080Ti is about 11.3.

A older generation like GTX 980, 4.6 TFLOPS.

All cases depends on information sources.

Edited by zalox

1 hour ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

You'd better imagine something better than 3D monitors for the future. 

Haha, don't worry man, my future doesn't have to be yours. I just think holographic tech is looking really cool, and way less limiting than some headgear. When combined with touch tech, well, that could be awesome. Imagine a virtual flight deck where you don't need to buy expensive hardware and one that changes as you change planes. Sick.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

18 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

I just think holographic tech is looking really cool, and way less limiting than some headgear. When combined with touch tech, well, that could be awesome. Imagine a virtual flight deck where you don't need to buy expensive hardware and one that changes as you change planes. Sick.

The problem with that is that I'd still be able to see my computer desk and Ikea bookcase behind this 3D monitor, which have no business being in a 172 cockpit. It ruins immersion.
Also I can't look around naturally, or look down at the runway below, so it's far more limiting than a VR headset.

10 hours ago, Groovy_Kincaid said:

This is the new XBOX specs.

It's some impressive hardware, I have to say. Given that MS still be selling these with razor thin margins, maybe near the $600 mark, they could be a cost effective way into running MSFS for some.

There's certainly no reason to think that the XBox version will be stripped back anyway.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, zalox said:

My GTX1080 have 9 TFLOPS by reference, and a GTX 1080Ti is about 11.3.

A older generation like GTX 980, 4.6 TFLOPS.

All cases depends on information sources.

I don’t understand too much about this. But from I have read, it depends of the architecture. And depending of it we are talking about higher than RTX performance or not. 

So, I think we will have to wait until new information is released. There is a lot of marketing around consoles which can lead to misinformation.

On the other hand, as better and cheaper consoles are, I think cheaper new GPU’s could be. So better for all of us. 

Anyways, the more I read the more I reach the conclusion that TFLOPs is a spec more important for marketing than for gaming itself. So...

Edited by aleex
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, zalox said:

actually an rtx 2080 ti have around 14,2 TF

the difference will be the price, i doubt people will buy the new xbox for$1000 or more 😉

• Like 1

From what I've been reading on various gaming sites, these specs place the new Xbox very near the top of where a current high end gaming PC is today.  Comparative to a very capable 60fps 4K system, or very smooth VR at 1080p.  Although a very top tier super expensive gaming PC today would be slightly more powerful, not much but a teeny bit.

I've seen a few tech experts state that when Nvidia's 3000 series cards come out the PC will leapfrog past the this new Xbox.  Even still the difference will not be all that much due to resolution limits of current display devices, anything capable of smooth 60fps 4K output will essentially not be all that different.  Going up to 8K however could be a thing down the road, but not for the majority of consumers for many years yet.

The specs are very good, it's an extremely capable gaming machine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe FS2020 won't require all that procesing power to run @1080p, but some of us have 4K or triple screen setups.. and we'll need room for future eating resources addons.

3 hours ago, aleex said:

I don’t understand too much about this. But from I have read, it depends of the architecture. And depending of it we are talking about higher than RTX performance or not.

Pretty much this. TFLOPS is only useful for comparing performance between GPUs of the same architecture.

I've seen comparisons between RDNA and Turing based on the current GPU line-up, and an estimate is that 12 TFLOPS would place this GPU between the RTX 2080 Super and the RTX 2080 Ti. However RDNA 2 could be vastly different, so take this with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Mengy said:

I've seen a few tech experts state that when Nvidia's 3000 series cards come out the PC will leapfrog past the this new Xbox.  Even still the difference will not be all that much due to resolution limits of current display devices, anything capable of smooth 60fps 4K output will essentially not be all that different.  Going up to 8K however could be a thing down the road, but not for the majority of consumers for many years yet.

You can bet that NVIDIA will want to make the new consoles feel obsolete before they're out, just like they did last time. If AMD's solutions do not push them to release Ampere, then the new consoles should do it.

8K could be possible with a good Variable Rate Shading implementation, which is also a heavily-advertised feature of the Xbox Series X.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

I personally think 3D monitors is the future. But we can all think what we like.

I thought you were being sarcastic when you were saying 3D monitor is the future, as VR haters would like to use the failure of 3D monitor to predict the failure of VR. Now I see you do have a thing for 3D monitor. Anyway I think 3D monitor is some kind of "half VR", or a certain prelude to VR. It has depth and scale, but you are still in front of the screen and you can't go in, so the immersion is quite limited compared with even VR today. I like 3D monitors a lot myself. It's a pity it's out too soon. It would be great if FS2020 had a 3D vision support, and it would be cool to play in stereoscopic 3D on Virtual Desktop or BigScreen.

What I really want to say is that Microsoft is going a wrong direction with the next generation Xbox. It's a beast, but a beast trapped in an old pit which is called 2D display. A great beast needs bigger space, and he will explore bigger and newer spaces. That's the way of survival.

Edited by dongdongliushui
  • Like 1

The 'true 3D' monitor / screen will be the one that projects forwards and immerses the viewer like that of a VR headset. It will *eventually* be a more inclusive experience that anyone from young children to OAPs will be able to fully enjoy.

VR is gaining popularity and will be the big thing for the next 10 years or so, but I see it as a stepping stone to a less cumbersome experience than having to wear a headset.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter