Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

VLOC not really switching in aircraft

I'm having trouble with any LOC/ILS approach- when I switch from GPS to VLOC- I see a change in the HSI (carenado King Air C90), however there isn't any course deviation. The needle just stays centered (as well as no glideslope indication). I swapped the gauges 1:1 for another GTN, where this function worked. Any ideas- there are a multitude of settings in the config file. 

The test screen on startup looks correct with the "half left, half up" deviations on the CDI. 

Edited by RXP

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I've noticed this in the Citation 550- seems it has something to do with the EFIS. The PC12 works just fine. The 550 worked with the F1 gauge- but same problem when switched to RXP GTN... switching to VLOC doesn't provide "good" info to the aircraft as far as a localizer and glide are concerned. 

Edited by RXP

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tUCQ-insiyRdl_lqFt4ZshGZ7Vdray2C/view?usp=sharing

Here's a look in the S550... you can see the ILS is tuned in NAV1 to the ILS 19 frequency- I've deliberately positioned myself left of the runway to show deviation... none shown on HSI.

Could it indeed be something in the S550?

I just had a look and neither GTN seems to provide a glideslope in VLOC mode..  LPV mode is OK..

Will look into some more later today..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Ah ok- I'm glad its not only me. I was trying to figure out if it was something in either the RXP ini file, or the individual in-sim configuration.

PC12 with your + autogyro mod: works great!

Realair Duke: works great!

Flysimware Lear 35: works great!

The King Air C90b as well as the S500 seem to have a problem- and they're both the carenado EHSI style cockpits. My only difference is that I could get a G/S and LOC indication when using the F1 version of the GTN (with your mods of course)

Edited by RXP

1 hour ago, bjratchf said:

My only difference is that I could get a G/S and LOC indication

When the GTN is in VLOC mode, it won't override any simvar. 

When disabling the "Connect GPS to HSI" it won't override any "HSI" simvar, and conversely for "Connect VOR" and the NAV simvars.

The only reason I could think of it would work in one case, and not in the other, is that the HSI included in this aircraft is custom coded to display a G/S deviation only under some circumstances which one way or the other are bound to another GTN (but I fail to see what could even be the coded logic supporting this idea when in VLOC mode)

Are you sure the Carenado HSI is in VLOC mode even if the GPS says so? Behind the scenes the overriding takes place if in GPS mode (from a FS standpoint this is the NAV/GPS switch simvar). Even if there is no such switch on the panel, the entire HSI/NAV/GPS system in FS depends on this switch. Usually I'd think the HSI would be coded to display this or that value depending on the switch position but sometimes...

One way to ensure this is to configure the GTN "Connect CDI mode" setting in a GPS -> SIM fashion.

9 hours ago, bjratchf said:

The test screen on startup looks correct with the "half left, half up" deviations on the CDI. 

This shows the 'overriding' is working as expected in GPS mode by the way.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

12 hours ago, bjratchf said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tUCQ-insiyRdl_lqFt4ZshGZ7Vdray2C/view?usp=sharing

Here's a look in the S550... you can see the ILS is tuned in NAV1 to the ILS 19 frequency- I've deliberately positioned myself left of the runway to show deviation... none shown on HSI.

Which airport are you at?  Give the specifics and I'll see if I can duplicate this..

I had a similar episode in the S550, but that actually was because the NAV1 frequency was a LOC approach, not an ILS.. which is confusing also, but likely different.  When I switched to the correct ILS frequency, the GS indicator activated. 

So it would appear that this actually DOES work when everything is set correctly.. :happy:

Edit: See below for the explanation

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

OK, I believe I can duplicate your location (KVPS) and ILS approach..

If you were expecting the HSI to switch to VOR1 mode automatically, after switching the GTN to VLOC mode, you are correct... it does not do that, you have to switch it by hand.

If you were to switch the HSI to VOR1 mode (by pushing the NAV Source button in your screenshot).. all would be well.

See my screenshots..  https://imgur.com/a/csPf9bB

Can that be changed in the S550 HSI code... yes, I am sure it can... but without a little bit of programming effort, neither the RXP GTN, nor the "other" GTN will cause it to switch, as best I can tell.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

You know what... I noticed that I installed the trainer version 2600... on the "latest trainer links" on this forum- it shows only 2500...

1 hour ago, bjratchf said:

You know what... I noticed that I installed the trainer version 2600... on the "latest trainer links" on this forum- it shows only 2500...

Did you read the "fix to your problem" above...?

Bert

Yes- but strangely enough I might have wiped out whatever customizations for better- I deleted the RealityXP.GTN.ini and allowed the system to rebuild a new one. Looks like it took care of the problem.

7 hours ago, bjratchf said:

Hi,

This is the Garmin trainer launcher version, which further downloads individual device trainers each with its own version.

To keep it simple for now, the latest GTN trainer is 6.62 (included in launcher 2500 and 2600).

NB: Launcher v2600 includes a much more recent DB (cycle 1909), and should you 'only' have installed v2500, you can download and install the DB component standalone like documented in this discussion:

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)