Sign in to follow this  
Bdub22

GTN 750 GWPS/TAWS Inhibit

Hi all! 

I've been enjoying flying to private airports in the Orbx North American regions - but's really annoying with the GTN GWPS/TAWS warnings going off non stop when it thinks you're about to land in a grass field instead of landing at a private strip. Is there any way to turn that off?

Thanks!

The menu on the terrain page should give you the option to inhibit TAWS.  I can't remember if it's in the sim version or not, but the real GTNs on newer code have GPWS and glideslope inhibit options in there as well.

Brian W

KPAE

It’s there - but it doesn’t get rid of the aural warnings. My wife hates the alerts more than I do hahaha! She’s always like “JUST PULL UP ALREADY”. 

The following is a response from back in 2014....  Source now unknown.  Not sure if from F1 at the time or not.  The Reality XP GTN gauges were I believe not yet available at that time.

"There is a TAWS inhibit, but it never cancels the PULL UP message, that can not be cancelled. This is described in the manual and that is how it is in the real one."

I just ran through all of the pages/settings in the latest standalone Garmin GTN trainer and the TAWS inhibit is still all that I see.

Here is a link to a Garmin supplemental publication that covers the GTN's TAWS in detail.  It explains what the inhibit setting does and does not do (see page 19).  And it resets to default if the GTN is rebooted.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01007-12_0A_Web.pdf

Are the frequent warnings a function of Orbx scenery?  If so have you applied the Orbx elevation correction tool? 

See: 

Edited by Jim Young
Embedded the video.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

Are the frequent warnings a function of Orbx scenery?  If so have you applied the Orbx elevation correction tool? 

The GTN 750 doesn’t have private strips in its database - so when you’re on final approach, it thinks you’re about to land in a field somewhere random.

Thanks for the info though! Appreciate it. 

42 minutes ago, Bdub22 said:

The GTN 750 doesn’t have private strips in its database - so when you’re on final approach, it thinks you’re about to land in a field somewhere random.

Thanks for the info though! Appreciate it. 

I do this all the time and with TAWS turned off, I get no warning..

Bert

21 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

I do this all the time and with TAWS turned off, I get no warning..

Then I'm stumped to as why it keeps happening with me. Never happens with a public strip - but the second I try to land at a private field, the aural warnings are aplenty.