1. 1. What feature enhancement do you most want for P3D v5

• New Terrain model
    • New Graphics rendering engine
    • New atmospheric/weather engine
    • It doesn't matter anymore - I'm only waiting for MSFS

On 2/28/2020 at 8:21 AM, domkle said:

All the three and more.

Two remarks :

- v5 seems to be in the more advanced stage of development (beta ?) than FS20 so the main features are solidified. Our wishes won’t change anything.

- I wonder whether LM will pull a proverbial rabbit out of their hat, something unexpected that would give them an edge over Asobo’s baby. Or will they still be on the historical incremental tradition of the FS family of sims. And what could it be ? A fully developed ATC for instance ?

About a year ago I asked a question to LM on a Reddit LM Q&A session, I asked about ATC and speech, basically their reply was that they love both features and they were working on them, so you could be right.

Regarding P3D v5, it might be wishful thinking but I'm hoping that LM offer P3D v5 at an upgrade price for V4 users to try and drag us along for the ride, while they still have a captive audience, before it might be too late for them, although it looks like MSFS will be my main sim, if V5 isn't too expensive I'll be tempted to take the plunge.

Edited by eaim

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

To some extent you can't really blame MS for doing this, because you can't convey the feel of an improved flight model or better air mass simulation (if indeed MSFS 2020 even has these) in a screenshot or even in a video, so the emphasis has had to be on eye candy,

Nevertheless, I remain to be yet convinced whether it will offer a similarly large leap in terms of the simulation of flight. 

it isn't the most important thing for me, nor should it be for anyone else who wants something which simulates flight with all its subtleties and nuances, as opposed to a pretty world where you can fly your camera viewpoint around a bit, because you can do that in Google Earth too if you like.

I would watch this Chock in full, if not 6:42>. Its nothing like we have at the moment. If this does not show "an improved flight model or better air mass simulation" I don't know what will.

Also nothing to do with eye caddy.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I would watch this Chock. Its nothing like we have at the moment.

Oh I've seen that already, and I know the guy says it is all more realistic, and whilst I don't doubt that much has been done and I do have high hopes for it,  I'll be the judge of whether I think it feels more realistic when I get my hands on it.

What I mean by that, is that claims are one thing, but I've literally never come across any flight simulator aeroplane ever, in any flight sim ever, which does a realistic feeling of a stall into an autorotation, and this despite many proud boasts from developers over the years claiming their aeroplane has a flight model which can do a realistic spin. Now granted that is in large part down to the various flight modeling systems they've had to work with, but it is nevertheless the case that people have claimed their flight model was completely realistic when, whilst it might have been a good stab at things within the available parameters, it clearly was nothing of the sort and in fact not even close.

As I say, I will cheerfully eat my hat, and anyone else's too lol, if the flight modeling and air mass simulation is as good and convincing as the video claims it is.

Anyway, here's hoping. Now pass me the salt and that Fedora...

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I just broke the tie. Game over. 😁

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

deleted

Edited by FDEdev

I'll start off by saying that right now, I am satisfied with P3Dv4.5 HF2. On my system (i5-8600K @ 4.8Ghz air cooled, RTX2080Ti, 16Gb ) , it looks great, has acceptable performance for what it is, and satisfies my needs for both low and slow as well as big iron operations. I can live with it as is and be happy. Dynamic lighting, PBR, and 8xSSAA all working together is impressive. Too bad it takes a $1K GPU to be able to see it. The part that I italicized is the key. In my opinion, this version is the end game for FSX. Stick a fork in it, it's done. Complete. Finis. It IS what I was hoping that FSX would be back in 2006 when I popped that brand spanking new install CD in my $130 CDROM drive in the old 80386. Heck, I couldn't reliably complete long distance flights in the default 737 until FSX-SE came out a couple of years ago. At least 30% of my flights ended with the dreaded OOM, or the complete lockup with the sound card wailing away at full volume prior to that. I had hopes for DTG's FSW, but I think they were trying to cater to a type of sim user that didn't exist and you can't create customers out of thin air. Like most of us, I was pretty ticked off at MS for shutting down what I consider a staple of modern computing. I was encouraged when MS apologized.

23 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Worse case is we all move onto P3Dv5 and whats wrong with that? nothing, IMO we are in a win win, its looks like we cannot lose this year so, I will sit back and enjoy the raid and see how it all pans out, without slating MSFS the developers and any other sim for that matter.

Agreed - I'm going to continue to fly in P3D until such time as my level of satisfaction with MSFS equals or exceeds my satisfaction with P3D4.5, and then I will likely switch over completely. But it is a great time to be alive in sim world.

11 hours ago, Emile said:

Improved and more realistic ATC

This one baffles me. Should be the lowest of the hanging fruit and it just rots on the tree forever.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Back when Flight Simulator was made by subLogic, we didn't care if it was wireframes, we were just excited by the fact that you could simulate flying aeroplanes realistically...

Well... It was either that, or... Press W key. Read, "You have run into a wall. To the south is a trap door. To the north is a ladder."...

3 hours ago, eaim said:

Regarding P3D v5, it might be wishful thinking but I'm hoping that LM offer P3D v5 at an upgrade price for V4 users to try and drag us along for the ride, while they still have a captive audience, before it might be too late for them, although it looks like MSFS will be my main sim, if V5 isn't too expensive I'll be tempted to take the plunge.

Just speculating. Would it be possible that P3Dv5 based was based on MSFS under new license and sold for commercial use only leaving MSFS for us in the consumer space?  That would be sort of a win-win situation. No reasonable upgrade price would probably make this a non starter for me, though unless there are amazing improvements. I voted for graphics improvements, but I would have voted for performance improvements if you had included it. Replacing the terrain engine is a new sim, IMO. 

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, Chock said:

What I mean by that, is that claims are one thing, but I've literally never come across any flight simulator aeroplane ever, in any flight sim ever, which does a realistic feeling of a stall into an autorotation,

We will never get that and it is also a highly subjective perception of realism under a certain condition.  For starters, you have no physical sensation (a major cue of the sense of that particular condition) and you're on a 2D display (most people have smaller displays than 55'). 

The best and only way to induce a sense of realism in a virtual stall/spin is (probably) to do it in VR.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ErichB said:

We will never get that and it is also a highly subjective perception of realism under a certain condition.  For starters, you have no physical sensation (a major cue of the sense of that particular condition) and you're on a 2D display (most people have smaller displays than 55'). 

Focusing on the 'feeling' part I now understand what Chock means. I was scratching my head because from the technical/aerodynamic POV there are numerous add-ons and simulators which correctly simulate incipient spins and spins in their various forms.

6 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Focusing on the 'feeling' part I now understand what Chock means. I was scratching my head because from the technical/aerodynamic POV there are numerous add-ons and simulators which correctly simulate incipient spins and spins in their various forms.

I agree, but inducing a sensation or 'feeling' equal to real world is impossible.  I thought A2A did a pretty good job of their implementation otherwise.  There are a host of sensory and visual cues which make up the experience which cannot be replicated outside a real aircraft 

Edited by ErichB

26 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I agree, but inducing a sensation or 'feeling' equal to real world is impossible. 

Don't know if I can write that in a comprehensible sense but I'll try.

I always have the impression that the more impressive the graphics become, the higher the immersion level is and most important, the less imagination is required that you are flying, the bigger the difference to flying IRL becomes IMO. 

No 2D, no VR and no Level D sim comes even close and that's of course a good thing IMO. 

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 2

Adding realism invokes the need for ever more realism.  A similar thing with taking old radio shows and televising them. The stage set had to visually look the same as the radio listener had imagined during the sound only broadcast. With no visual input at all, the listener had an extremely good idea of the environments in radio shows, with only a handful of sound effects.

• Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thought about this at length and as much as I hate to admit it I voted that it doesn't matter any more due to the new MSFS.

I switched from FSX:SE to P3Dv4 a few months ago and have been quite pleased with the improved graphics and performance.  However, there is simply no comparison with the new MSFS; it's like comparing apples and oranges.

The old FSX terrain model using landclass, which P3D uses, is so antiquated and unrealistic when compared to the satellite imagery terrain that MSFS uses.  The videos and screenshots of MSFS make this pretty clear.  Add to this the improved weather and effects and hopefully a much better graphics engine and the contrast is even more stark.  I'm already feeling somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed whenever I fly with P3Dv4 because I've watched those darn MSFS videos.  I almost wish I had never been made aware of the new MSFS as my experience with P3Dv4 would be better.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

IMHO, Megascenery Earth adds a level of realism that landclass-based graphics simply cannot provide. Yes, there are low level issues but I generally don't fly that low.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I have never been a fan of landclass scenery ever since Microsoft decided to add textures to the terrain in FS5. They looked dreadful. I would have much preferred more detailed coloured vector graphics over a terrain mesh than the awful pixellated garbage that greeted my poor eyes when I loaded FS5.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png