Sign in to follow this  
mp15

Shall we have an add-on for the Clouds?

Having everything ready out of the box sounds cool but what about the clouds shown so far? 

Shall we have an addon with cripsier clouds?

Edited by mp15

My man, I appreciate your enthusiasm. I personally will choose to wait to see what Microsoft and Asobo release before entertaining the thought that any particular aspect of the application needs improvement. But that is just me.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Chris

No doubt the clouds look better than any other sim but in my opinion they could still be much even better.

I reserve judgement on this matter as well. In some images the clouds look phenomenal, almost photo-real, in others not so much.  But as you said, they‘re still miles ahead of  what we currently have.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

it seems I am not allowed to post pictures anymore, but yes, in some shots of the episodes the clouds look very good, and that is when they are soft and "water loaded" however there are may clouds that look blurry and over-sampled, I was showing earlier how nicer they could be.

• Upvote 1

I could be mistaken but I think the difference in the clouds look and feel and aspects between the pusblished screenshots / videos is based in my opinion on the visual settings of the users?

The clouds in MSFS are built out of noise I suppose and this certainly becomes the field of expertise that has nothing to do with cloud texture replacement.

Any addon to improve these (if explained in the SDK documents) could be based on additional scripts or configs that modify how these clouds are generated at different conditions + other visual factors like softness etc.

I am not an expert but I use a plugin that deals with noise based clouds and it's a big challenge for the devs to balance good looking clouds with sharpness and avoid visual artefacts while keeping a fair performance... 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

3 minutes ago, Noodle said:

mpozzi changes his name?

You must have read my mind.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Why?

3 hours ago, mp15 said:

Having everything ready out of the box sounds cool but what about the clouds shown so far? 

Shall we have an addon with cripsier clouds?

Why?

Edited by n4gix
  • Upvote 3

What I understand is that cloud particles are created based on the laws of physics. So, you can't simply replace a cloud texture to improve the looks of a cloud. 

• Like 1

There is defintely room for improvement. To be honest I was never a fan of clouds in msfs. I posted about it on reddit too. The thunder clouds look like volcanic ash/smoke. They dont seem to have a defined shape and they always have this weird out of focus effect.

• Like 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

Noise generated clouds are like that. All concepts you had of good old REX 2d ultracrispy textures, forget about them. This is the future, that is the past and not something we'll deal with anymore.

You'll find similar definition of the clouds in other sims using the same tech such as Il-2 or xEnviro (for XP). That's how it is.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Just now, RazorBlade said:

What I understand is that cloud particles are created based on the laws of physics. So, you can't simply replace a cloud texture to improve the looks of a cloud. 

hmm clouds are voxels, no texture.