Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

New FS 2020 vs. X-Plane 11 Airports Comparison

@GlideBy

Yes but using MSFS and never downloading anything is like playing with an old GPU : sure, you can play that way, but it's a degraded experience. It's meant to be played by default online, or with cached areas. So it's fair to consider MSFS+internet = default MSFS. This is what you get without buying any extra addon.

Edited by divide
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

Microsoft have said you can play offline, without ever downloading anything other than the core game.

Wloch: -"We have considered all the possibilities. If you have no connection at all, the simulator will generate the world, with trees, cities, mountains and others. Now, if you have an Internet connection, ..."

This is one option, but not all options given by default.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 hour ago, GlideBy said:

This video seems childish to me.  Everytime they show a X-Plane airport someone screams.

Certainly not an unbiased, objective comparison at all.  This just seems to be a cheap attempt to make X-Plane look bad.

I mean, the video clearly has an unabashed point of view as to which looks better, but... don't you too? lol. 

I cant imagine anyone but the most ardent XP defenders having an issue acknowledging that default XP looks beyond dated, and getting a laugh out of how far things have come.  There's a reason so much visual payware exists.

• Like 4

Xplane with a Vulcan lighting, volumetric clouds and follow focused existence on stream could become very interesting too.

I thought the video was great and the screams hilarious. I think some people take things too seriously. Just to add my current sim is x-plane.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

I'm just surprised you cant take it for what it is.

For as long as I can remember there has been a pretty consistent stance that Brand X vs Brand Y topics were shut down because they generally get pretty ugly pretty quickly. I think I took this topic for exactly what it is (Doesn’t matter if I agree with the with the video or not). The Mods want to allow it, so be it. But hey, over the past few weeks...and definitely the past couple of days, strange things are afoot at the Circle K. 🙂

• Like 1

Chris

50 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

Not obvious to someone that has never used X-Plane. 

I’ve never used XP and it was obvious to me. I think it would be obvious to anyone who’s been in this hobby for a while, no? Why would you compare a default sim (MSFS) to one that’s all decked out (XP)? If you want a fair comparison, you’d show them both as they come out of the box, as they did.

BTW, I was not aware of any screaming as I watched it with the sound off, so I’d agree that screaming at the sight of a default XP airport is a little much.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 minute ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I’ve never used XP and it was obvious to me. I think it would be obvious to anyone who’s been in this hobby for a while, no?

Which is why the following sentence said.

Keep in mind that MSFS is attracting new people to this hobby.

The screaming was probably the biggest issue.  

BTW - I have never used X-Plane either.  I am a bit biased against them because of a bad experience with x-plane.org, which is why I can't wait for something better.

Have a good day all

Not obvious to someone that has never used X-Plane.  Keep in mind that MSFS is attracting new people to this hobby.  And it certainly isn't obvious in MSFS that those are part of the 80 upgraded airports.  I don't even know which ones are upgraded or not.  So one might assume that all airports in MSFS will have that same level of detail.

Anyway, it isn't important.  The people in this forum know better, I assume.  (And so much for trying not keep talking about the same thing over and over  😀)

There's no doubt some of the key airports in FS2020 are a huge improvement over X-Plane but also the visuals in general. I've been flying around several lesser regional airports in X-Plane and they are pretty good, something the scenery gateway has improved on massively since X-Plane 11's launch but they still sit in surroundings which look very dated and devoid of any real life representation. Thankfully there are some very good solutions for X-Plane to improve this, namely Otho4XP and Orbx TE series.

I don't own or have ever used Xplane, but to be fair... A lot of the default airports that have been uploaded to the xplane database have been built by fellow hobbyists for free, so on this note I think they are pretty good when taking that into consideration.

• Upvote 1

I'll simply state that if anyone would even remotely consider the X-Plane airports in that video as anything but default... would probably be doing a great injustice to addon airports.  Honestly.  It was pretty clear that wasn't something you would have to pay extra for.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Is there really any constructive reason for this discussion?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Is there really any constructive reason for this discussion?

I agree. Many post such as this never take into account when reviewing msfs2020 it is not a finished product yet. Things can change yet in many ways. I will certainly only come to a definitive assessment when MSFS2020 is released as a finished product.

Honestly, Austin said years ago that he never considered airports important, as he initially designed the sim from a technical perspective as a procedural trainer. The focus was on the aircraft, and the airports at first didn't even have buildings.

(I remember it well)

Microsoft then as now, had a financial and manpower advantage as well as the fact that they approached the sim from more of an entertainment perspective, which meant looks/atmosphere etc were a large focus from the beginning.

Alternately, looks weren't big thing for Laminar until XP10, but even as the sim has slowly expanded its visual appeal (and also its popularity) the focus has always remained concentrated on BET and the FDM and aircraft behavior.

They still have never really gotten around to expending the resources to create an entire world of accurate airports, preferring to leave that to users and third parties.

Meanwhile Microsoft, with its consumer focus, and Asobo as a gaming company has obviously put great effort from the beginning into MSFS visuals. They don't have to rely on their users to create (mostly primitive) airports for them especially when they have the resources to do this instead......

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Poor attempt at the Wilhelm scream.

Colonel,Indian Army.

My rig : z370  i9 9900k RTX 3090 MSI, 32 gb Ram, m2 nvme 1tb, sata ssd 1tb, 4tb hdd, 850watt smps antek bronze

my sims : DCS world, IL2 Battle of kuban, Stalingrad , MSFS, P3D 5.1, X-plane, Elite dangerous, Star citizen