Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

New FS 2020 vs. X-Plane 11 Airports Comparison

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

This video seems childish to me.  Everytime they show a X-Plane airport someone screams.

Certainly not an unbiased, objective comparison at all.  This just seems to be a cheap attempt to make X-Plane look bad.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

This video seems childish to me.  Everytime they show a X-Plane airport someone screams.

Certainly not an unbiased, objective comparison at all.  This just seems to be a cheap attempt to make X-Plane look bad.

It’s just a side by side comparison of default vs default. If the shots are true comparisons of default scenery then I don’t see what makes it a “cheap attempt” to make XP look bad if that’s how it looks out of the box.

That being said, if the cheap shots and attacks start amoung each other trying to defend one platform over the other, the topic will be locked.

• Like 9

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Also Antialias is switched off in X-Plane pictures, so video flickers and diagonal lines are formed to flickering staircases.

Childish, you are right!

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

I didn’t like the screams neither. I mean, a couple of them could be funny, but during all the video? Meh... 

That said, that’s how default XP looks, so it’s fairly objective. So...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

It’s just a side by side comparison of default vs default. If the shots are true comparisons of default scenery then I don’t see what makes it a “cheap attempt” to make XP look bad if that’s how it looks out of the box.

No where in the video does it say it is default against default.  And if you want to compare default, then show what MSFS has built in without downloading extra from the internet.  My point being, disclose the basis of the comparison, unless the intent is to mislead.

And if adding four second screams to X-Plane shots isn't cheap, then I guess I don't understand the term.

10 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

That being said, if the cheap shots and attacks start amoung each other trying to defend one platform over the other, the topic will be locked.

I am not a fan of X-Plane.  I do like facts presented without misinformation though.  Personally I think this video could have done a fair representation of both, and still blown X-Plane out of the water.  In fact, that is why I started watching.

Edited by GlideBy
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

then show what MSFS has built in without downloading extra from the internet

There's nothing saying that the airports need online to be seen in full glory. So these are probably default.

Thanks for removing my post mods. Go post this same video over in the X-plane sub-forum. I mean it’s just a harmless video comparing default to default. I’m sure it would be totally cool there. 🙄

Chris

10 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

There's nothing saying that the airports need online to be seen in full glory. So these are probably default.

Maybe, we don't know.  It still goes back to my point.  Just adding "default" before X-Plane would have been less misleading.  Or putting the comparison info below the video in the text would have.  Just a fair disclosure.  (I think I have said enough on this, so I won't keep going on about it.)

Anyway, MSFS doesn't need an unfair fight to win.  I almost feel sorry for X-Plane.

Edited by GlideBy

8 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

Just adding "default" before X-Plane would have been less misleading. 

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was default XP, I mean it was pretty basic and certainly not showing what after market addons do for XP. 

It almost looked like default FSX compared to MSFS. 

• Like 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was default XP,

Not obvious to someone that has never used X-Plane.  Keep in mind that MSFS is attracting new people to this hobby.  And it certainly isn't obvious in MSFS that those are part of the 80 upgraded airports.  I don't even know which ones are upgraded or not.  So one might assume that all airports in MSFS will have that same level of detail.

Anyway, it isn't important.  The people in this forum know better, I assume.  (And so much for trying not keep talking about the same thing over and over  😀)

59 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

And if you want to compare default, then show what MSFS has built in without downloading extra from the internet.

Streaming is an integral part of MSFS. So it's default.

But yes, the video is presented in a childish manner.

Edited by tweekz
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Just another defender of the realm. It's too bad we just can't enjoy the different options we have.

• Upvote 1

NAX669.png

4 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Streaming is an integral part of MSFS. So it's default.

Microsoft have said you can play offline, without ever downloading anything other than the core game.

Wloch: -"We have considered all the possibilities. If you have no connection at all, the simulator will generate the world, with trees, cities, mountains and others. Now, if you have an Internet connection, ..."

58 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

Thanks for removing my post mods. Go post this same video over in the X-plane sub-forum. I mean it’s just a harmless video comparing default to default. I’m sure it would be totally cool there. 🙄

That was already posted on the org days ago, and they agree that xplane scenery is poor in comparison.  

With above comments, I'm just surprised you cant take it for what it is. Wow I'd close this thread down now. I see what's coming.