Sign in to follow this  
ual763

Interesting Idea for the ASOBO team!

Since ASOBO seems to be listening closely to us and also trying to deliver the most realistic sim possible, I have a suggestion that I think would add a lot to the realism factor.  Before anyone bashes the idea, it could always come with the option to disable the following feature as well...  As I currently work at the Flight Service Station and work with entering/canceling NOTAMS day in & day out, I am intimately familiar with them and would love to see at least some of them implemented in the sim.  If you think about it, they could be implemented in much the same way real-world weather is implemented.  The data is out there for free in online retrievable databases!

The cool thing about NOTAMS is that they are now (mostly) in a standardized ICAO format.  The FAA has a few differences I believe, but this is easy to handle.  Anyways, the implementation could go as deep as the developers desire.  But, primarily, I think the biggest one would be runway closures.  So using some simple code, ASOBO could theoretically retrieve the data for individual airports through the online databases.  If, for example, the code retrieves a NOTAM in standard ICAO format for say example, at LFPO, that "RWY 02/20 CLOSED" , then the sim could generate a generic yellow X on the ends of the runway like this: 

Closed-Runway.jpg

If, for some reason, the NOTAM is not in a standard ICAO format, then the algorithm could just ignore it. (No harm done)  But, since the vast majority are in a standard format, it would really add a lot to the realism, especially online flying!

Depending on how far ASOBO is willing to take it, they could do all kinds of interesting things with this.  For example, on the airports they've included with accurate taxiway markings, they could implement closed taxiways via NOTAM.  These could look something like this:

close-taxiway.jpg

Again, it's just a simple query of an online database that (in theory) shouldn't be too hard to implement if they choose to.

They could also add such things as:

1.) ABN U/S This NOTAM simply means that the airport beacon is out of service.  Which could easily be done in MSFS.  Just disable it for that particular airport.

2.)AD CLSD This means that the airport is closed (temporarily).  This could be implemented a number of ways in the sim.  But, a good way would be to disable ATC at the airport, and/or possibly disable services such as fuel/ramp functions, etc.

The beauty of this idea is that they can take it however deep they want to.  There are standard ICAO NOTAM formats for a myriad of items.  Certain navaids may be out of service.  The Glide Slope or Localizer may be out of service for an ILS.  Or various runway/taxiway lights may be out of service.  The possibilities are endless.

The following site has all of the NOTAMS in the World:

https://www.icao.int/safety/iStars/Pages/notams.aspx

Just thought I'd bring this idea up.  Who knows, maybe they've already implemented it. For those not wanting it, it could easily be turned on/off.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by ual763
  • Upvote 5

Forgot to add it to the original post, but towered airport runway closures could get one of these bad boys instead of the sand bagged yellow X at uncontrolled airports.

02-C657-AD-89-D3-453-D-9-FF3-4-D4-EA0558

• Upvote 1

The issue of Notams which comes from time to time to the forum is indeed an interesting idea but, IMHO, peripheral to the core features that Asobo should concentrate on. Would be a nice addition several months after release though.

Even more interesting btw would be a runway closed at arrival, after your departure without any Notam. Kind of a curved ball. You do all the planning to land on RW 17 and then 10 minutes before your landing, the runway is closed and you have to land on RW 23 with a not so gentle crosswind. Aaargh...

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

There really is no bad idea to put before the MSFS Team but dang, this one complicates the simulator even more.  If they did implement, I would be looking and looking for a way to turn it off so I can enjoy flight simulation.  Those who want to be snagged by more obstacles to land (or take off) can easily enable these conditions.

• Upvote 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I think this is a great idea. Online data sourcing enables a massive paradigm shift and should be exploited.

Anything that has to do with flying, including landing and taking off, is a core feature of a flight simulator. Moving grass and similar gimmicks are peripheral.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

There really is no bad idea to put before the MSFS Team but dang, this one complicates the simulator even more.  If they did implement, I would be looking and looking for a way to turn it off so I can enjoy flight simulation.  Those who want to be snagged by more obstacles to land (or take off) can easily enable these conditions.

An option like turning live weather data on/off, but with an airport setting. 

use real NOTAM data: yes/no 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aleex said:

Exactly!  The runways are the main thing.  I believe FSX/P3D even had closed runways with the big yellow X.  However, they were created that way when the game came out and are still that way 14 years later as there is no retrievable NOTAM system available to it.  With an in game NOTAM system, these runways could possibly not show as closed anymore.  Some may close, some may open.  No different than updating the navdata if you think about it.  Very simply done, and adds a lot to the realism, with a simple on/off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ual763 said:

Exactly!  The runways are the main thing.  I believe FSX/P3D even had closed runways with the big yellow X.  However, they were created that way when the game came out and are still that way 14 years later a

The freeware Airport Design Editor has an easy way to close a runway anytime you want.

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, domkle said:

The freeware Airport Design Editor has an easy way to close a runway anytime you want.

I know, but it would be nice to not have to open up another piece of software every time you want to close/open a runway.  Especially since the data is all retrievable now in online databases.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aleex said:

I certainly like this idea but would go a little further with a list of all the added features you could enable/disable as you set up your Free Flight.  Think it would be easy to accomplish.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I like the idea of NOTAMs being in the sim, and in various formats and usages.  And using it for marking closed runways sounds nice.  

• Like 1

I think this is a great idea!! As others have mentioned - I think it should be way further down the priority list and perhaps something they even work on after the release. But yeah - anything to add realism and immersion in a sim - I'm ok with that!!

• Like 2

I was told by an Expert, real pilots don't use NOTAMs. :laugh:

• Upvote 1