Sign in to follow this  
Theboot100

Road traffic

Given that I suspect all of this expense of MS developing a new  realistic world is going to be applied to other things such as road vehicle and sea-going vehicle sims and architectural development applications, rivals to Google Earth etc, etc, I should think that there will be considerable attention being paid to having fairly realistic roadways and their behaviour. It might even be realistic enough to portray realtime traffic issues at some point, who knows? After all, even my car radio can do that and it doesn't even have a graphics card lol

It'd be great if I could look at FS 20202 and know if the Staff East Car Park at Manchester Airport was full before I set off for work 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

39 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

Its important for both ifr and vfr. 

The point I'm trying to make is that when flying VFR it's the pilots responsibilty. When flying IFR you can't freely choose your altitude and ATC is responsible for the correct separation.

8 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

The point I'm trying to make is that when flying VFR it's the pilots responsibilty. When flying IFR you can't freely choose your altitude and ATC is responsible for the correct separation.

Oh well that's right, of course. But I'm curious how did we get here talking about altitude, when we were discussing flying directly over a road,  or to the side of it? I'm lost haha

10 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

But I'm curious how did we get here talking about altitude, when we were discussing flying directly over a road,  or to the side of it? 

Because Chuck mentioned that everybody should fly on the right side of the road/railroad track etc. so that opposite traffic isn't a factor if you are the same altitude. It was simply a startling thought that some word not allowed could be flying in the opposite direction at the same altitude as I am.

Edited by FDEdev

Just now, FDEdev said:

Becau

Because Chuck mentioned that everybody should fly on the right side of the road/railroad track etc. so that opposite traffic isn't a factor if you are the same altitude. It was simply a startling thought that some word not allowed could be flying in the opposite direction at the same altitude as I am.

Oh. Lol. 

It's a forum rule. Every FS2020 topic has to go wildly off tangent because everything we know about the upcoming sim has already been talked about ad infinitum 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, FDEdev said:

but that's a bit too much to ask from a FLIGHT sim IMO.

I keep seeing people that are worried that adding something, is too much.  Keep in mind they have over a hundred devs.  And each dev handles different areas.

And in you think it is too much work for the CPU, someone asked them about this.  They were talking about how detailed the flight model is with thousands of points being calculated, and the very complex weather and wind system.  How that must need a lot of CPU power for just that.

"It seems that we are going to need a lot of computing power. Or are all these calculations going to be done in the cloud?

-No, computers and consoles are extremely powerful today. In our performance analyzes, calculations for the entire climate system and the flight model are not going to need more than 5% of the capacity of a processor core, and today the processors have several cores. So it won't be a problem."

The devs are smart, give them credit.  They are also able to prioritize things, and know what is important or not.

Edited by GlideBy

They are guessing off past experience. traffic has always been a frame eater, in esp, and xplane, so people turn it down, or off. 

Edited by Casualcas

I simply don't see any reason to waste computing power and development manpower for such features. When flying low over the fields I'd like to see rabbits flee in all directions, etc. where do you stop with such ideas/requests?

• Like 3

We have to remember that if there is data that is readily available to them- they could in theory implement it. Bing has traffic data, and they could have the sim connect with that. Also - there's a website that shows the locations of most ships, which once again - if the data is there, they could in theory place those objects where they are - in real time. Long shot, but hey - ya never know.

5 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

where do you stop with such ideas/requests?

You are a dev, do you not know how to prioritize things?  

To answer your question, the devs have asked us what we want.  People are saying what they want.  If you don't want to see it, or don't think it is a big deal, then just say that.

But don't assume the devs can't do something.  I think most would have assumed they couldn't have done what they have done.  And I have done some programming.  I had a customer ask me to do a project once, which I did.  Months later I overheard someone talking and saying they wish it did something, I will call function X.  I asked the project lead for the customer, why didn't you ask for it to do function X?  They told me, "I didn't think you could do it".  (This was a while ago, so I am paraphrasing.)  I told him it would have been easy to do when I wrote the program.  I could still do it, but it would take more time.  And the guy just exclaimed how he wish he had known, as it cost the company money.  And he was happy I dropped by and over heard that conversation.  Needless to say, function X was added.

My point, don't assume what Asobo and Microsoft, and a large well funded dev team can do.

(By the way, there are already animals in the sim.  So you may see rabbits running in fields.)

• Upvote 1

IMO road traffic is an essential feature in a modern flight sim, right after the basics (aircrafts, scenery, weather, air traffic).

If it will be like it is in other sims, it will be more than enough. The most important thing is making it completely multicore so that it doesn't affect performance in an appreciable way. I'm optimistic!

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Now that is really funny.  :laugh: Did not notice it before, even with it in bold print.

Edited by jpc55
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

But don't assume the devs can't do something. 

Where did I write that they can't do something?  Again, I simply don't see a reason to waste computing and manpower for a FLIGHT sim for features which would be suitable for racing sims and hunting sims.

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1