Sign in to follow this  
Theboot100

Road traffic

7 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

Where did I write that they can't do something?

I never said, that you said they can't do it.  But based on these two statements, you seem to be saying that doing so would be difficult for the dev team, and would use too much computer power.

6 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Agreed, it's fun IRL to 'overtake' a traffic jam 'moving' at 0kts at 320kts at low altitude IRL, but that's a bit too much to ask from a FLIGHT sim IMO.

56 minutes ago, FDEdev said:

I simply don't see any reason to waste computing power and development manpower for such features.

As the dev team said, weather and flight physics only use 5% on one core, and CPUs have several cores.  It would be a waste if they didn't use all cores at least.

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Where did I write that they can't do something?  Again, I simply don't see a reason to waste computing and manpower for a FLIGHT sim for features which would be suitable for racing sims and hunting sims.

So wanting to see moving traffic below on approach into a urban landscaped metropolis is only suitable for racing sims???

Horrible....

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

14 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

So wanting to see moving traffic below on approach into a urban landscaped metropolis is only suitable for racing sims???

Horrible....

Agreed. Whilst I'm not especially bothered if the traffic isn't super-duper realistic, it actually is useful in the real world when flying VFR:

Years ago my flying instructor would have me estimate the altitude visually; two things which really helped with that, was the size cars appeared, and the size sheep appeared. This was mostly over Derbyshire and places like that, so you couldn't rely on farmhouse sizes, which varied widely and trees can vary a lot in size too, but cars and sheep were pretty good for gauging if you had 6-800 feet of altitude for an emergency landing circuit into a field, and cloud shadows moving across the fields would give you the wind direction for which way to line up your circuit.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

Where did I write that they can't do something?  Again, I simply don't see a reason to waste computing and manpower for a FLIGHT sim for features which would be suitable for racing sims and hunting sims.

I beg to differ.

Asobo are trying to make a realistic looking world with weather, lighting, terrain, buildings, water etc.

To make the world feel alive and realistic you want things to be moving around.   Airport traffic, air traffic, vehicles, boats.   All of these things are visible from the air.

Without them you might as well be flying around in Google earth where the world is just empty.  There's a reason FSX and Xplane include them

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I simply don't see any reason to waste computing power and development manpower for such features. When flying low over the fields I'd like to see rabbits flee in all directions, etc. where do you stop with such ideas/requests?

Sheep maybe.  Not rabbits.  We've already seen giraffes doing this. 🙂 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Road traffic is essential for me and not only on the main roads.It's as important as everything else. All the immersion balance is played here .It is a question of life or death.

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

7 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

Horrible....

Do you guys even read what I write?  Suggest to re-read my posts. I never wrote that I don't want to see moving traffic. 

Edited by FDEdev

8 hours ago, LHookins said:

Sheep maybe.  Not rabbits.  We've already seen giraffes doing this. 🙂 

Hook

Well, I remember to have seen from my window seat, rabbits bolting along the taxiway in CDG some years ago.

Anyway, simulation and life piloting are two different things. In a simulation setup, perception of depth is poorer and moving vehicles on the ground, even in peripheral vision, help to improve it. It is not wasted computational resources.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It's a matter of common sense I think: I mean by this that I doubt Asobo will not feature in a cutting edge complex world like the one they are developing and that we've never seen before for a simulator, immersive details (or eye candy or no matter what we call them) that existed in 20 years old more primitive world engines and during the time of less capable Hardware. 

As for the question is Traffic essential for a flight simulator. First, I think it's one more immersive element that modern hardware can allow to have. Seeing these type of animated details all together against a true to life landscape, give this additional hint to the brain of living a real experience... 

The visual solutions of professional flight simulators add immersive details as well to make the experience believable during training... technology allows this more and more...

Also, it all depends on each person's interpretation of what is a home PC flight simulator... Not everyone flies for real and compares a simualtor to reality and not everyone flies jets from one internatonial airport to another...

For example, in the other simulator I use, there are police cars that you can spot from a distance flashing their lights and speeding on the highways, chasing an immaginary suspect...

Well, not only they give me this additional feeling of "realism" but I also like to take my favorite fighter jet in that simulator and try to do a formation flight / chase with them by flying fast and low and adapting to the highway turns as well as the virtual police cars speed etc...

It might sound silly for those who take flight simulator very seriously but you know what, I find it a great way to practice quick reflexes of stick and rudder skills in a fun manner only possible in a flight sim... 🙂

Maybe other want to pretend being helicopter pilots reporting on the traffic or try to practice en emergency landing on the highway in a cessna with an engine failure?

Flight Simulators must be immersive as much as technology allows.. If it is not your cup of tea because you consider it eye candy or if it takes ressources from your hardware, then I am sure there will be an option to disable it.

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

Hopefully road traffic won't take up any significant cpu resources.

That's the kind of settings vs. perf thing we don't know about yet.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

We have already seen cars on roads.  So that seems a given.  I just think they need more in some areas.  And Bing knows where traffic is backed up (i.e. denser), or stopped ( dense and not moving), they can include this in the cars.  https://www.bing.com/api/maps/sdk/mapcontrol/isdk/traffichideshowtraffic

2 minutes ago, Mace said:

Hopefully road traffic won't take up any significant cpu resources.

That's the kind of settings vs. perf thing we don't know about yet.

I posted this dev quote before, but I think it is worth repeating. 

"It seems that we are going to need a lot of computing power. Or are all these calculations going to be done in the cloud?

-No, computers and consoles are extremely powerful today. In our performance analyzes, calculations for the entire climate system and the flight model are not going to need more than 5% of the capacity of a processor core, and today the processors have several cores. So it won't be a problem."

And note the is 5% of only one core.

Edited by GlideBy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Claviateur said:

Flight Simulators must be immersive as much as technology allows.. If it is not your cup of tea because you consider it eye candy or if it takes ressources from your hardware, then I am sure there will be an option to disable it.

The African Poacher mission in FSX was this in a nutshell....very intense air chase and feeling of speed

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please stop quoting the entire post you are replying to!
  • Like 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

23 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

The African Poacher mission in FSX was this in a nutshell....very intense air chase and feeling of speed

You mean the Rhino one?  This - 

Cool mission.  Too bad helicopters are not expected at launch.  I hope the new sim has a lot of missions though.  (Mods, should video links be expanded like this?  Or depends?)

Edited by GlideBy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GlideBy said:

You mean the Rhino one?  This - 

Cool mission.  Too bad helicopters are not expected at launch.  I hope the new sim has a lot of missions though.  (Mods, should video links be expanded like this?  Or depends?)

Indeed its very fun in VR

Edited by n4gix
Removed quoted video. It only needs to be posted ONCE.

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

3 hours ago, GlideBy said:

I posted this dev quote before, but I think it is worth repeating. 

"It seems that we are going to need a lot of computing power. Or are all these calculations going to be done in the cloud?

-No, computers and consoles are extremely powerful today. In our performance analyzes, calculations for the entire climate system and the flight model are not going to need more than 5% of the capacity of a processor core, and today the processors have several cores. So it won't be a problem."

And note the is 5% of only one core.

Yes, it is reasonable to assume that the road traffic will have minimal cpu usage, based on the above.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB