Sign in to follow this  
gringo97

Best VFR sceneries for FSX

I am recently back to FSX after a long absence, and many of my add-ons are old and/or incompatible (e.g., they were for FS2002/2004) so with two or three exceptions, I will be starting to rebuild my scenery library.

I'm confused by the many options available (VFR Real, GenX, Orbx etc etc), as well as interested to learn what people would recommend in scenery areas around the world. These are my initial priorities to buy though;

United Kingdom -  Shetland and Orkney (Scotland North) - which would be the best VFR photo realistic scenery for low, visual flight over these areas?

Alderney and Isles of Scilly (Earth Simulations - they went out of business, their DVDs appear for sale from time to time, but can they be successfully installed without the Earth Simulations online installer, if so, how please?)

Netherlands - I have VFR Netherlands but it was for FS2002/2004. I can't find a way to install it as it looks for the old programmes. Any work around please? And how does this compare with NL2000? Or do they work together? There is also a Mega Scenery Netherlands, how does it compare with NL2000 please?

Norway

Thanks!

Edited by gringo97
correcting mistake

Hi gringo,

ORBX is your best bet, even some of their airports like LOWI come with tens of KM of scenery. I've just got ORBX global as well as LOWI, and they're beautiful. (I don't buy a lot of addons) For the UK, they have FTX England. It looks kinda pricey but they have a spring sale so you could grab some bargains. They are generally regarded as the top tier 

NL2000 is fabulous, I couldn't live without them. 

Project Canary is also very nice, it models the Canaries very well. 

Airports of Norway is beautiful, they model all of Norway fabulously for free.

Oh, and also if you want freeware, check out FSEarthTiles. Its a bit of software that converts map data into photoreal scenery.

That's all I know, feel free to ask  any more questions or for advice. 

I will throw in my vote for the ORBX stuff. I got the Global Base and Vector and am very happy. You would go one step further and go for the England package, you wont be disappointed.

Hi Folks;

How is it on resources (Frame Rates). i have heard mixed reviews. I am actually thinking of getting Ground Environment X since it seems to be easier on FPS. not sure. I am sticking with FSX until MS 2020 is fully out so I intend to keep spicing up my FSX until such time.

Cheers.

Forshaw.

5 hours ago, forshaw said:

Hi Folks;

How is it on resources (Frame Rates). i have heard mixed reviews. I am actually thinking of getting Ground Environment X since it seems to be easier on FPS. not sure. I am sticking with FSX until MS 2020 is fully out so I intend to keep spicing up my FSX until such time.

Cheers.

Forshaw.

I have had no issues with frame rates, the online reviews i have seen say ORBX gets you better frame rates but i'm sure you could find some that go the other way to. I got down to the choice between ORBX and GE and picked ORBX. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just what I did.

I have seen no negative FR issues with ORBX, using global and vector. I do not have the third level (Pacific NW, England, etc etc)

I also vote for Orbx, but I would leave out Vector.. it saps performance and can get confusing with other sceneries...

Instead, pick the region you want to fly, and buy it..

As a base, I would get Global and Global Landclass.. and then add regions.

Bert

HI All;

Thanks for your input and suggestions I appreciate it. Yeah I am leaning towards Orbx. So I do my flying mostly in the US, NE to Midwest and a few on the West Coast. I am thinking to just get the Base Pack (Global) and stick with that since I really can't see much of  the mountains since I'll be at 370 Feet. Also I have a lot of add-ons airport (all the airports I fly into) so I wouldn't be looking for any add-on airports. Most add-ons now give surrounding sceneries 

Hopefully the Base will look good without the other additional add-ons they offer

Thanks again.

Cheers.

Forshaw.

Global is a good start, but adding North America Landclass will make it a lot nicer..

• Upvote 1

Bert

Yes, do both. They make a huge difference.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Honestly I just have global and it is perfect for me, I didn't have anything else befire and would be happy without anything else added. Oh, and Orbx have done a really good job in not making it look repetitive like a lot of autogen (IMO) 

Thank you very much all for the very informative information, I appreciate it.

I am now definitely going to get it. I will start with the Global and If I am contented  (which I think I would since I have been using the default since it came out😄) I will stop there. If I want to get the upgrade, at least I have your feedback on it and don't have to come back to the forum for advice the North America Landclass.

Thanks again Folks.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw. 

• Like 1

You don't need Global and base if you just fly in the Orbx regions such as Pacific North West,  Southern alaska.  Just buy those specific regions.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 3:25 PM, andymartin said:

You don't need Global and base if you just fly in the Orbx regions such as Pacific North West,  Southern alaska.  Just buy those specific regions.  

This is a good hint. You don't need the specific regions from Orbx either. Just get the photoreal sceneries (payware and freeware) from the regions where you want to fly.

For example:

USA: https://www.megasceneryearth.com/

Great Britain: https://www.justflight.com/searchresults?category=products& query=vfr+real+scenery+nexgen

France: http://www.francevfr.com/

Austria: http://www.flugwerk.at/?post_type=product

Netherlands: https://www.nl-2000.com/

You don't need a special mesh for these photoreal sceneries, because it's included.

14 minutes ago, PhotoReal Earth said:

You don't need a special mesh for these photoreal sceneries, because it's included.

You will need a special amount of financial resources though.

7 minutes ago, Reader said:

You will need a special amount of financial resources though.

Please stay fair. Do you want to say that Orbx sceneries are in total cheaper?

As I wrote there are lots of freeware photoreal sceneries.
Just to name a few:
http://www.blueskyscenery.com/screenies.html
https://italyphotoreal.weebly.com/
https://www.nl-2000.com/

Enjoy!