Sign in to follow this  
meesterlijk

Nvidia Settings

Dear brothers,

Today I met some problems with my beloved Flightsim.

I had some shimmering in my FS and i thought: let's solve the issue to read something about it. So I did. 

I found some interesting posts from different people and I started to tweak some little things in my CFG and in my Nvidia Inspector. I started flying from FSDT KFLL and I looked really sharp. Nice! At first sight!

Then I started to cycle around some aircraft and there it started. When arrived at the first AI-plane the scenery beneath it was very blurry at first sight. Thats a normal thing, the system has to sharpen things up. But after a few seconds my (still) beloved Flightsim does a CTD and immediately restarts without giving me any suggestions of the reason for this reset. 

Now I went back to the Nvidia inspector and tweaked it again but the problems keeps existing.

To conclude a question. I cannot find any suggested tweaks from 2018/2019 or even 2020.

Could you guys help me around with your preferred settings within Nvidia? And how does you CFG looks like? 

I could really use some help right now.

Thanks for your time and greetings from the best town in Holland which name is called Putten.

Edited by meesterlijk

Greetings Bert,

Can you list some system specs?  Which Nvidia drivers you are running perhaps?  What specific CFG file tweaks have you made, and have you tried undoing them?  You can use Administrative Tools via the Control panel in Windows to find the specific file that's faulting, all would be helpful information.

Lee Adams

JAFO

Here are some more details:

My system: 

i7-4790 3.60GHz

16 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX-970

230GB SSD

My FS9.CFG settings which I changed:

[DISPLAY]
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=1.2
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=1.0
RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=1.5
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=60
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=240
[TERRAIN]
TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.5
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=9.0
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4
[SCENERY]
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5
DYNAMIC_SCENERY=1
DYN_SCN_DENSITY=5
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
SUNGLARE=1
LENSFLARE=1

My Nvidia Settings:

1. Compatability.

- Antialiasing compatability.   -> 0x004412C1 (Diablo III)

3. Antialiasing

- Behavior Flags. -> None

- Gamma Correction -> On

- Line Gamma -> Default

- Mode -> Override any application setting

- Setting -> 4x [4x multisampling]

- Transparancy multisampling -> Enabled

- Transparancy Supersampling -> Supersampling

That is I've changed. In the end this issue only happens in Southern Florida. I tried heavy traffic areas like New York and LA but there are no CTD's and everything goed well. I removed the AI-traffic that I installed yesterday but the issue keeps coming back. I also recently bought KFLL from FSDT but could that be the issue? I resized the textures and at the airport everything goes well.

The problem starts when I cycle through the AI-traffic with CTRL-W and at the first plane, when the scenery sharpens, there is that annoying CTD. 

I cannot find the administration tools in the control panel. 

Thats it for now. 

Thanks anyway!

I don't think that your issue is a matter of tweaking correctly Nvidia or not. At least FS9 should run with a default tweak too. It sounds more to be problem of incompatibility of AI and scenery or scenery with AI. Do you get such CTD's elsewhere or just at KFLL?

Bernard

incompat

inc

• Like 1

The CTD’s only occur above central/south-Florida. Not even at the airport. It happens when I cycle through the AI-traffic. The first plane I view at high altitude (doesnt matter which one) shows up correctly. But when the landscape beneath the plane sharpens, the CTD occurs. It restarts FS9 without giving any notice. Its very strange and I never experienced anything like this. 

Your probably won't get around to deactivate first all scenery entries and reactivate them step by step until you find out whether the CTD's are caused by one of your sceneries. It might be a time waisting procedure but the only way to know what could be the reason. Before your are starting anything, you should save the flight where the CTD's occur. This way you might check easier the behaviour every time your restart the activated sceneries.

No need to say that you should backup your scenery.cfg before. 

If this action has no impact, then you should the same with your AI traffic. In any case I would first deactivated everything - sceneries and traffic - and see, whether it works at least normal in an almost default mode.

Bernard

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, meesterlijk said:

When arrived at the first AI-plane the scenery beneath it was very blurry at first sight. Thats a normal thing, the system has to sharpen things up. But after a few seconds my (still) beloved Flightsim does a CTD and immediately restarts without giving me any suggestions of the reason for this reset. 

This looks more like a faulty AI texture. Use DxtFixerX and give it a pass through all FS9 folders. You'll be surprised at the number of textures that are not precisely OK. If it still happens, you'll have to trace the offending texture.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I will have a closer look at my traffic.

Sunday I installed 3 packages (Amerijet, Avianva and Azul). After the CTD I removed them and tried again but the CTD kept occurring. I had this before above Florida and eventually I found out that it had something to do with a bad texture on a 737 Max from Gol. 

I have a programme called texturedoctor. I will give it a go! 

Today I went back to Florida to give it a try and the problem seems to be solved. I have really no clue what happened but there is no CTD. I changed nothing.

fs9 moves in mysterious ways. 

Thanks for your help.