Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Diving into Skyrim!

Not gonna lie, if there is any game out there that has the potential to entice one into their headset for ungodly periods of time, its Skyrim.

Yeah, its an old game, but with copious (and unending) love from untold numbers of dedicated modders, so many additions have been created for the games graphics, adventures, and just about everything else, that with even just a modicum of effort the game can become worthy, even years after release, of standing tall with and just about any other adventure game out there.

And in Vr, it's can be pretty much like entering the matrix.

I'm creating this thread to help others who might be interested in giving this a try. I'll begin with some starter information, and will add more detail if it appears the thread gathers some interest or questions. Note that with few exceptions, anything that works for Skyrim SE will work with Vr, with the exception that when installing SKSE, one must be certain to choose the VR version.

First vid!

EDIT: And some pictures of me wandering around heroically.......

lw69EY.jpg

0dv0T7.jpg

J3mKiw.jpg

KZ51b3.jpg

qRCENV.jpg

ecTiLC.jpg

fePe7B.jpg

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Agree with everything you have said. It’s a wonderful experience until, that is, nausea overwhelms all that pleasure making it imperative to get out of there PDQ! I’ve tried a few suggestions to mitigate this issue, but have admitted defeat and decided to set the game aside meantime.

Don’t have the same problem with the likes of ‘Lone Echo’ which is also amazing as it too involves much shifting of view perspective. In Skyrim it can help if I teleport but, sadly, this detracts somewhat from that sense of realism and immersion.

Any motion sickness avoidance tips?

Regards,

Mike

2 hours ago, Cruachan said:

None except to use the many mitigation options available within the game.......

rnip6W.jpg

wab4Ej.png

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I used to play Skyrim, but then I took an arrow to the knee. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Okay, thanks, I’ll give it another go as soon as time permits. Are these your usual settings?

Regards,

Mike

I've completed Skyrim at least 3 times but not with VR. It's s great game. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

On 3/3/2020 at 5:48 PM, Cruachan said:

Okay, thanks, I’ll give it another go as soon as time permits. Are these your usual settings?

Regards,

Mike

No, I actually don't seem to be susceptible to Vr sickness.

Devons rig

Back in the day, Skyrim modding was very arcane. There was an awful lot to learn, and many ways to screw things up. Your desire to learn had to be very very high to persevere in jumping through all the necessary hoops.

Nowadays, once you've gone through some initial setup, installing mods is now a one-click process, and key to enabling that functionality is something like VORTEX

• Like 1

Devons rig

On 3/3/2020 at 9:22 PM, 188AHC said:

I've completed Skyrim at least 3 times but not with VR. It's great game. 

I've played through the main quest a few times and haphazard my way through several side adventures, but can't say I've ever played through the whole thing. I guess I was too focused on the central quests and maybe on the hacking and slashing, to really appreciate the depth of the real Skyrim universe.

Now a bit older, I'm taking the time to really explore things from end to end, and with modding, there's actually so much more to see and do....

For one, the game can look so much different with mods, much better than my memories, to the point that many times you just have to stop and stare.

For another, there's so much more to see and do, like the Helgen Reborn quest you can download, if you ever wondered what happened to the city devastated by the dragon attack at the beginning of the game.

Or, the mod Cutting Room Floor - SSE which reinserts whole sections of the game that Bethesda never bothered to complete, or simply never included for their own reasons. The reintroduction of those elements really fleshes out some quests that may have felt strangely unsatisfying previously.

Alternately, perhaps you played a mage, and found the College at Winterhold a bit empty/barren? There are mods for that:

Obscure's College of Winterhold

Immersive College NPCs

Due to these and other mods, once empty places like the College become full of life and energy, changing the whole vibe of the experience.

It can take a few hours to get the hang of which mods to add, or alternately you can simply follow any of the zillions of guides, but once you do, considering the unending efforts of Skyrim fans all over the world, you really could probably spend years in the games universe.

A nice retainer for Vr (2D also) and a good way to spend some downtime when sim-burnout looms.

SkyrimVR - VR specific mods

By the way, for a real sock-blower-off-er, (Non-VR) there is Enderal.......

This mod was made with the (Original, not SE) Skyrim engine, but became so huge and detailed (a world completely separate from Skyrim) that it eventually became a free standalone game on Steam that does not necessarily even require Skyrim to be installed, only that it be listed in your Steam purchases..... 😲

Enderal: Forgotten Stories

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Devons rig

Vanilla Skyrim vs Nextgen Ultra Modded Comparison 2019 | (1440p 60fps)

(Now Imagine what this feels like in VR ) 😍

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

Devons rig

On 3/3/2020 at 8:38 PM, Cruachan said:

Agree with everything you have said. It’s a wonderful experience until, that is, nausea overwhelms all that pleasure making it imperative to get out of there PDQ! I’ve tried a few suggestions to mitigate this issue, but have admitted defeat and decided to set the game aside meantime.

Don’t have the same problem with the likes of ‘Lone Echo’ which is also amazing as it too involves much shifting of view perspective. In Skyrim it can help if I teleport but, sadly, this detracts somewhat from that sense of realism and immersion.

Regards,

Mike

Something that worked for me at the beginning (by now i'm pretty much completely immune from VR sickness) is make sure you're running at graphics settings that allow you to keep whatever your headset's framerate is. With my Rift S if i kept 40 fps and ASW while it was a relatively pleasant experience i did feel some discomfort in longer sessions, but if i tweaked things enough to be able to run 80 fps at all times i could play indefinitely. Now i can play indefinitely even with ASW constantly on but it still gives me some discomfort, while 80 fps don't give me that problem.

And activate snap turning, smooth turning was the worst offender for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I highly, highly recommend Spellsiphon. It's a mod that adds a new standalone magic system that was designed from the ground up for VR. It allows you to switch between spells and bound weapons without ever breaking immersion by having to open a menu to select a different spell or weapon.

At its core, you draw certain elements from the environment: fire from the world, life (electricity) from alive beings, death (frost) from dead beings. Every power has some special attributes and abilities that can be mixed together making a combat system that's incredibly fun to use. In the left hand you have a magic shield. Since you're drawing energy from the environment you don't use up magicka, it's only used up when your shield absorbs damage. Magicka regeneration rate affects damage output, so get to work on that enchanted gear. I used to hate magic and was all about melee, now i only use magic and regularly go on rampages in cities.

A combat example: initiate combat by drawing fire, it allows me to summon an energy gathering circle that will allow me to launch fireballs indefinitely without having to draw the element again and i'll be firing with both hands, but i will lose defense. Start firing as much as i can on enemies. As they get close i trigger or leave the energy circle, it will explode causing a lot of damage to enemies inside it (it can also damage you so don't keep too close!). Draw life from an enemy and trigger it, this will make me temporarily ethereal and bring me back to full health. Once i'm not ethereal anymore since i used up the life energy i absorbed, now i'll have Death in my hand, i can either shoot a frost ball or set a frost rune that will explode if hit or if anyone walks on it (including you). As soon as i do that i summon a bow and hit someone i previously hit with fire. The residual magic energy on them will liberate causing a massive explosion that will likely kill the person i hit and severely damage people close by. This will also slow down time for a short period, so get on firing that bow! Then i can fire the bow on someone i hit with frost, which will cause the person to be encased in ice and cause a small ice storm that will freeze or slow down people nearby. People that i can then draw life out of if i need to heal again. Oh, also if you draw life from somebody and fire it at a dead body it will be resuscitated as a zombie that will fight on your side.

All of that without entering a menu once. Combat is incredibly deep, fun and addicting.

• Like 1

Some hopefully Useful stuff!! These apply both to VR and regular flavor Skyrim:

Essential tools!!

• Vortex: https://www.nexusmods.com/about/vortex/
  • Loot: (The order optimization tool) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1918 (Loot becomes a part of the Nexus download tool, and when run, will try to fix any load order conflicts, as well as alert you of any compatibility issues found, and even provide you links for appropriate patches! Using this tool is pretty much essential for keeping a modded Skyrim relatively healthy and working!! I cannot overstress how important setting up, using, and heeding the warnings of this tool is!!)

Basic absolute must Install: Very Important! 

MODS TO CONSIDER:

Expanded Adventures! (May require numerous compatibility patches with other mods. Again LOOT is essential!!)

Used together

Your Choice, Ala Carte:

ENB PRESETS: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/categories/97/

Installing ENB into Skyrim:

Result: Not yo' mama's Skyrim!

6HrG0D.jpg

aSm2r6.jpg

0dA13r.jpg

DTaFm8.jpg

T5WaGJ.jpg

lA9GLD.jpg

Edited by tonywob
TW: Changed link at posters request

Devons rig

Be warned that grass mods absolutely murder fps in virtual reality. I could technically run them be forcing 40 fps and ASW always on, but even with a 1080ti it's completely impossible for me to run 80 fps in vr with grass mods (there might be some .ini tweaks for this but i haven't really looked into it).

On 3/16/2020 at 1:31 PM, nikita said:

Be warned that grass mods absolutely murder fps in virtual reality. I could technically run them be forcing 40 fps and ASW always on, but even with a 1080ti it's completely impossible for me to run 80 fps in vr with grass mods (there might be some .ini tweaks for this but i haven't really looked into it).

I actually just installed Verdant (Grass mod) taking my mod number into the 170+ category.

So far, so good, FPS-Wise.

Meanwhile, I'm tempting fate even more with something I found called ENB lights. It completely bypasses skyrim's maximum limit of four simultaneous dynamic lights, making dozens of fully dynamic, fully shadowed lights, which can almost incalculably enhance the ambiance of the game. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22574

Limited only by your available horsepower.

Devons rig