Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Diving into Skyrim!

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I actually just installed Verdant (Grass mod) taking my mod number into the 170+ category.

So far, so good, FPS-Wise.

Meanwhile, I'm tempting fate even more with something I found called ENB lights. It completely bypasses skyrim's maximum limit of four simultaneous dynamic lights, making dozens of fully dynamic, fully shadowed lights, which can almost incalculably enhance the ambiance of the game. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22574

Limited only by your available horsepower.

Hmm, maybe i'll have to look into it a bit more. I have a 1080ti after all, not quite your 2080ti but still one of the most powerful cards on the market.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:26 AM, nikita said:

With my Rift S if i kept 40 fps and ASW while it was a relatively pleasant experience i did feel some discomfort in longer sessions, but if i tweaked things enough to be able to run 80 fps at all times i could play indefinitely.

How do you do that? I Just got my Rift S less than a month ago, I'm new at VR.

Thanks

Sue

46 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Thanks

Sue

Mostly some tinkering with settings (can't really remember which ones), turning them on and off repeatedly to see if i could really see a difference or if it was big enough to justify the fps drop. Biggest thing is avoiding grass mods because as i said earlier they cause massive fps loss, i ended up not caring enough to look for fixes in the .ini files.

This guide has an excellent baseline for settings to get a good experience with balanced looks and performance. You can simply use this or tinker around starting from it.

If you're interest in modding here's some excellent community chosen mods, assuming you know how to mod Skyrim. If not, the Lightweight Lazy List linked in that post is really good to get a decent modded Skyrim VR and also gives some resources that work well as an intro to modding.

Also since you're new at VR i have a recommendation: always tweak your settings to be able to get consistently your headset's refresh rate, in your case 80 fps. Interpolation algorythms like ASW are not an excuse to play at lower fps, they are there as an emergency measure if your framerate momentarily dips below 80. 40 fps with ASW and full 80 fps feel VASTLY different, with the second one being a much more pleasant and less nausea inducing experience. Flight simulators are an exception because they are badly optimized and simply can't keep that framerate and their slow, smooth nature works well with interpolation. Even then, DCS at 80 fps is much better than 40 + ASW.

Edited by nikita

My 2080ti seems to be fairly tolerant of me modding the heck out of stuff........ (knock on wood)

As an aside, I can tell I'm going crazy with all this quarantine stuff. For the first time ever, I "married" a follower.

After all our adventures together, I wasn't letting Zora Fairchild get away! 😍😲🤪

Plus even after our main quest ended, she didn't do this (below) to me.....

So off I go, to even more wild adventures in Tamriel! 

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

Thanks

Sue

By the way, if you are going to play Skyrim.... well, its a fairly old game in many ways, especially visually. Like flight simming with older programs like FSX, the experience is soooooooo much better if you take the time and energy to attempt bringing things a little closer to modern standards, and this is made even more attractive by the fact that the zillions of available addons (many of them brilliant) are all essentially free.

Almost before even starting the game, downloading and setting up Vortex is nearly a necessity, and will help you easily extend the game way beyond its basics, both visually and story-wise.

As a shout-out for those of you that have played Skyrim previously, think of that experience, and now take a look at what it can be, as a deeply immersive fantasy universe..... Like FSX kitted out with all the Orbx addons and then upgraded to P3D. (Essentially perfect for people locked in their homes, for the nonce.)

Honestly, learning to mod the game is nearly a separate entertainment in itself, as I explore just how far things can be pushed, before something explodes.

Good Luck!

dAaezA.jpg

GPsptr.jpg

AFM37L.jpg

xNtZ8c.jpg

W4eLNH.jpg

WF4z9d.jpg

iFFBVo.jpg

jIYwI2.jpg

Z35fJp.jpg

rp7kB0.jpg

DChuRy.jpg

yxD5oW.jpg

5RbS0e.jpg

jsYkaN.jpg

z4wgBn.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I guess with quarantine i'll have plenty of time to look more into modding and optimizing stuff. I have a word not allowed 1080ti afterall, it should be capable of this.

• Like 1

This might be a great start for new modders..... Essentially most of the basics covered with one install, that gives you a choice of what you want. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34179

34179-1585552541-1800372009.jpeg

It's finally here! Skyland AIO. All the Skyland mods in one simple FOMOD package.
Delivered in 2k/2k textures, Skyland AIO will cover cities, holds, landscape, dungeon, LODs, water color and much more.

PLEASE ENDORSE.

What it Covers:

• Farmhouses, Towns, Villages
• Markarth
• Riften
• Solitude
• Whiterun (dirt or cobblestone street options available)
• Winterhold
• Road Signs (Plus optional patches for Point the Way and Cutting Room Floor)
• Standing Stones
• Dark Brotherhood Door
• Stockades
• Caves (Rock, Mud,a and Ice)
• Dwemer Ruins
• Imperial Forts and Dungeons (With included .esp patch fixing the mismatched western watchtower)
• Mines
• Nordic Ruins
• Ratway
• Ships
• Shacks

All landscape textures throughout Skyrim and the DLC.

1. Whiterun Hold
  2. The Rift
  3. The Reach
  4. Volcanic Area
  5. Glaciers, Ice, Ice Floes
  6. Coastal Areas
  7. Frost Marsh
  8. Mountains
  9. Bridges
  10. Roads (paved or dirt options available)
  11. Snow
  12. Caves
  13. Mines
  14. Standing Stones
  15. Solstheim
  16. Dirt cliffs

And more...

• 3 Mountain Options, including Granite Mountains!
  •  Skyland Watercolor in blue, green, or slow green with compatibility option for RW2 (place .esp file below all RW2 files)
  •  Landscape LOD's
  •  Orc Architecture
  •  Grass Mod color matching option available

Install and Load Order:

Install normally and Place below SMIM, texture mods, mesh mods. Place the Skyland Watercolor ESP below any water mods, including RW2. If you do not like the Skyland Watercolor Normal map, you can hide it in the mo2 file tree under the data tab.

IF YOU RUN AN ENB:
Turn off EnableWater in the enbseries.ini or in the enbseries section of the ENB menu.

What This Mod Does:
Bundles all Skyland mods into an easy FOMOD installer.

Compatible With:
Everything. Before you ask, yes it can be used with JK. It will work with other texture mods, but you need to place this mod below them.

Devons rig

Oh yeah, I think it is time to replay this game as I do not remember if I did play the entire campaign or just skipped everything and explored the world. With help of your post now I know which mods I will use to replay this game again.

• Like 1

With help of your post now I know which mods I will use to replay this game again. The last time I played I used oblivion mods from https://esports-dude.com/how-to-install-oblivion-mods-in-skyrim/ and they made for me Skyrim alive again and in my opinion, this mod is the best for Skyrim, or in other words it is a must-have mod. It added so much to Skyrim that I wanted to be from the beginning. I think I will never stop playing this game and in my opinion, that will be right to name this game a game of decade for me of course :D

• Like 1

Is it necessary to buy the VR version of Skyrim?

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Boomer said:

Is it necessary to buy the VR version of Skyrim?

No

Devons rig

How do I get a non-Steam Skyrim to play in VR please.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Boomer said:

How do I get a non-Steam Skyrim to play in VR please.

Unfortunately, this is only available through Steam. As far as I'm aware, even when you purchase it elsewhere, you are in actuality only purchasing a Steam license key.

Devons rig