Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

AIFP3 - You have to use low polygon count models

Hi,

Just became familiar with AIFP3 and I like it.  I was able to bring traffic life to my favorite airport and customize it exactly as I wanted it.

But there is a problem.   I used aircraft from the FSX standard aircraft library along with some I downloaded and the frame rates dropped badly.   From 35FPS to under 10 FPS.

This was entirely a result of my using high detail aircraft as AI in flight plans.   So I meandered over to the Avsim Library and did not find much in the way of simple, low polygon count AI aircraft.   Perhaps I searched incorrectly.   I assume that the larger the file size, the more complex (more polygons) an aircraft will have?   So where does one find a good assortment of low polygon / low memory usage AI aircraft?

Would I need to purchase an AI program that includes them or are they available for download?    Specifically, I would like to find low polygon count AI aircraft for most modern business jets and most popular General Aviation aircraft.

Free or payware, doesn't matter as long as i can find such simple AI aircraft for use as AI traffic that won't kill frame rates.

Thanks

If you don't want to think too much about planes and liveries, use FLAi (http://flai.bvartcc.com). No flight plans included, but since you're already adding yours, it's at least half the job already done for you.

• Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

54 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

If you don't want to think too much about planes and liveries, use FLAi (http://flai.bvartcc.com). No flight plans included, but since you're already adding yours, it's at least half the job already done for you.

Thank you for that link.  I am downloading that now.  

I am hoping that there is a way to use just the aircraft models with FSX without installing or configuring vPilot etc.

Edited by KFXE

12 minutes ago, KFXE said:

Thank you for that link.  I am downloading that now.  

I am hoping that there is a way to use just the aircraft models with FSX without installing or configuring vPilot etc.

Yes, there is: just unzip and move. You get all models, textures, airfile and aircraft.cfg. vPilot is only for running FLAi with Vatsim. You'll still need to make some flightplans for these planes.

• Like 1

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 hour ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Yes, there is: just unzip and move. You get all models, textures, airfile and aircraft.cfg. vPilot is only for running FLAi with Vatsim. You'll still need to make some flightplans for these planes.

This is fantastic Luis.  I think it's exactly what I hoped to find.

Thank you !!!!!

@KFXE

Another viable option that I sometimes use if the FPS drop on final approach is too severe, is to set a hot key with FSUIPC to vanish all AI, then once you land and taxi off the runway, hit the hot key again and all the AI reappear. 

When you’re on approach you’ll probably not care too much about how many AI are parked at gates, etc, so making them all disappear before you land gives all the FPS back and then making them reappear once you’ve landed and FPS aren’t so important, gives you an airport full of activity.

Its kind of the best of both worlds. 

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I actually use another approach: I set my AI (BGL-based) to just 20%, and then I fill the rest with PSXseecon Traffic (the static-only version). It automatically loads all my AI after I vacate the runway. I get stutters for 5-10 seconds while doing so, but it's a price I gladly pay for a smooth approach, landing and taxi to gate.

• Like 1

Best regards,

I was able to get all the FLAi models loaded and have begun replacing the complex models assigned in AIFP3 with the low complexity FLAi models.

I'm about halfway done and so far my lowest FPS has risen from below 10 FPS to around 15 FPS so it's def helping.  Traffic and scenery settings are all on maximum.  (All sliders fully to the right)

While I will miss the complex liveries of the aircraft with complex polygons while taxiing around the airport, I will not miss the stuttering from slow frame rates.

If I can achieve FPS of 20+ while operating at this airport I will be satisfied.  I have approximately 30 AI aircraft at this airport always in a state of change from parked to departing or arriving so the airport appears very active at all times.....which was my goal.   There are no large commercial jets operating from this airport.   Only business class jets and other general aviation aircraft.

Once I move away from the airport, of course, the FPS jumps back to my target FPS of 35.

Thanks again for the assistance.