Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

How's your English?

This made me smile. Being someone who abhors 'Quite unique' or 'Very unique'. :rolleyes:

Is it "Complete", "Finished" or "Completely Finished”? No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words - "Complete" and "Finished”.

In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over five minutes.

The final question was: “How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.”

Here is his astute answer: "When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And, when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

He won a trip around the world and a case of 25 year old Scotch.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

9 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.”

Those people must then be finished fools.

That was a nice answer.

What i am surprised to see a lot here is the difference between hangar and hanger. I dont't get it, but that is probably because English is not my first language.

Edited by Pastaiolo

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

3 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

That was a nice answer.

What i am surprised to see a lot here is the difference between hangar and hanger. I dont't get it, but that is probably because English is not my first language.

A lot of people tend to use the word "hanger" instead of "hangar", which is the correct one if we're talking about aviation. If we're talking about clothing, maybe "hanger" is the appropriate one.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Pastaiolo

That's relatively easy. A hangar is a large shed, usually to keep aircraft in.

A hanger, such coat hanger, is something to hang things on.

I have great sympathy for those who need English but for whom it is not their first language.

How you navigate through (pronounced threw) cough, (pronounced koff) thought, (pronounced thort) bough (pronounced bauw) is a wonder to me, especially when I read there when it should be their, were when is should be where, written by those whose first language is English.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

I know the difference guys, i am surprised by how many use hanger instead of hangar while being native speakers of English! That's what i meant!
I got curious of what's the reason for it. 🙂

Edited by Pastaiolo
corrected the typo!
  • Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

14 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

That was a nice answer.

We could carry this on with 'Bare with me', an old favourite. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pastaiolo said:

I know the difference guys, i am surprised by how many use hanger instead of hanger while being native speakers of English! That's what i meant!
I got curious of what's the reason for it. 🙂

Oops! :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

We could carry this on with 'Bare with me', an old favourite. :smile:

Ron, I think I could pass on being "Bare with you"! :blush:  Would you like me to correct your heading, Now's my English, or is that intentional?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

A lot of people tend to use the word "hanger" instead of "hangar"

Not to mention 'aircrafts' I happen to see quite often in aviation-related forums (or fora) like this.

• Upvote 1

This is too much to read by two. 

If I'm bare then just bear with me. 

English is certainly a weird language. 

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Another one, sometimes from people who claim to be pilots, is applying the breaks, when they mean brakes.

And we have had references, in a flying context, to 'braking' into a hard turn. For those unfamiliar, a 'break', involves rapid aileron application, while pulling hard, into a high rate turn, usually to avoid a problem.

John B

Ron, let's hope it's "unbareable". Get that picture out of my head...

Sue

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Penzoil3 said:

Ron, let's hope it's "unbareable". Get that picture out of my head...

Sue

Bare in mind, Sue?  :laugh:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: