Sign in to follow this  
KFXE

AI aircraft do not land at their scheduled destination

Good afternoon pilots,

What is the "norm" for AI aircraft when they arrive at their destination airport?   I have found that AI aircraft fail to land at their destination airport and instead, fly past it and then head back towards the origin airport albeit at reduced speeds and ridiculously low altitudes.

I followed an AI aircraft in another plane and observed this behavior.

My expectation was that the AI aircraft would arrive at the destination airport, then land.    And at the pre determined scheduled time, it should take off and head for the next destination (or Leg) as prescribed in the flight plan.

Is this a FSX bug or is there a way to create flight plans (In AIFP3) such that landings are forced?

Thank you!

In a properly constructed plan, aircraft do indeed land and take off. There has to be enough time in the plan for them to land, taxi to parking, park, taxi to takeoff and so forth. Instructions in AIFP deal with this.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

From experience, if you do not have sufficient parking of the correct size (or larger) or there are open taxi links, or errors in your taxiways then the AI will not land.

I am pretty new to FSX but have been playing with FS9 long enough to recognise this issue and I doubt there is any change with the way FSX works.

AI planes do not like being chased! Leave them alone and they will do what they should. If you want to confirm the flight plan works, sit at the destination airport and wait for them to roll in. They will.

John

Edited by John Hinson

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

16 hours ago, John Hinson said:

AI planes do not like being chased! Leave them alone and they will do what they should.

Just curious John

How did you come to find this out?

What exactly is it they do not like?  Do you think AI planes mind if I watch them taxi and take off as well?

It does seem that you are correct about chasing them.

Edited by KFXE

22 hours ago, Enko said:

From experience, if you do not have sufficient parking of the correct size (or larger) or there are open taxi links, or errors in your taxiways then the AI will not land.

That’s a good possibility in @KFXE situation.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

18 hours ago, John Hinson said:

I am pretty new to FSX but have been playing with FS9 long enough to recognise this issue and I doubt there is any change with the way FSX works.

AI planes do not like being chased! Leave them alone and they will do what they should. If you want to confirm the flight plan works, sit at the destination airport and wait for them to roll in. They will.

John

I watch mine constantly to check my new flight plans. I have to say that not one has ever shown a dislike of being followed and if the plan parking, taxiing are correct, land and park every time.

Watched or not.

3 hours ago, KFXE said:

Just curious John

How did you come to find this out?

What exactly is it they do not like?  Do you think AI planes mind if I watch them taxi and take off as well?

It does seem that you are correct about chasing them.

I read it in the FS9 forums! 🙂

There doesn't seem to be any problem watching them at airports.

AI traffic is just an illusion. I don't claim to understand AI perfectly, but I think that sometimes  the aircraft that arrives at the destination is not the same one that actually sets off from the start. (You can actually see this happen using FS Tramp). Of course there is the factor that traffic only exists within a certain range of the player aircraft but I think there is more to it than that. I have certainly occasionally known aircraft on a similar route to me to be present at departure, then vanish en-route, and then re-appear towards the destination airport. My guess is that when being chased, they don't disappear when they otherwise would, but don't know what to do or where to go.

An illusion is good enough for me!

Best regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

John,

My experience has been the same as yours.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.