Can i use a Samsung 4K gaming monitor super wide view 32:9 ?  In settings you can select normal view 4:3 or wide 16:9, but this is the view of 2 monitors isnt it ? (32:9) how about proportions/ratio  of this view ? Any experiences ?

2 hours ago, Pluto7777 said:

In settings you can select normal view 4:3 or wide 16:9

I don't know which setting you are referring to. If you mean the 'Wide View Aspect Ratio' setting, this isn't specific to any particular screen ratio, so it's not a problem. You can no doubt use this monitor with P3D, although whether you will get a satisfactory experience is debatable. Instead of thinking of this as a super-wide monitor, try thinking of it as super-skinny. If you're going to use a head-tracker you're probably okay, but the experience is going to be pretty much the same as a multi-screen setup just without the bezels. For my money a big 4K monitor would be a better option, with or without a head tracker.

• Upvote 3

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Thx Marc, OK, but wider view means more data, so this must have a serious impact on framerate ? Same as when i split my view in 2 monitors ? Because then i remember having a drop of -40% fps

1 hour ago, Pluto7777 said:

Thx Marc, OK, but wider view means more data, so this must have a serious impact on framerate ? Same as when i split my view in 2 monitors ? Because then i remember having a drop of -40% fps

This looks like a fairly low-res monitor - 3840x1080, which is about 4 mp, so you shouldn't have any problems on that score. Running a single window that wide is not the same as running two separate 3D views on two monitors. It's the work of generating the independent views that kills your frame rate, not the resolution.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

OK, i was considering RTX2080ti in stead of my 980ti, but ill get the 32:9 monitor first then.

Edited by Pluto7777

Wide view aspect in P3D settings optimizes view point for 21:9 monitors, not 16:9. Even if you have ultrawide, then you can disregard this option if you set your zoom to 0.42 and adjust eye point accordingly. Same thing applies to super ultrawide. You just need to set proper zoom level for selected settings and then you won't get any geometric distortion.

Edited by Evros

44 minutes ago, Evros said:

Wide view aspect in P3D settings optimizes view point for 21:9 monitors

I suspect you just made that up ;)

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

6 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I suspect you just made that up ;)

How's that? I admit that I should have added that these are my observations not facts from manual, but that is the behavior that I have observed. Last time I used 16:9 monitor was with P3Dv2, but back then, this setting didn't seem to have much effect on anything and I assume that it was due to aspect ratio in use.

If you have any more information regarding that setting then I more than gladly stand corrected.

Edited by Evros

17 hours ago, Pluto7777 said:

OK, i was considering RTX2080ti in stead of my 980ti, but ill get the 32:9 monitor first then.

A powerful graphics card such as the 2080Ti is wasted on anything less than 4K in my humble opinion. I have a 1080Ti feeding a 32” UHD Monitor and the card is rarely more than 50% utilised.

I would suggest a 21:9 38” ASUS monitor would be a good choice. Expensive?, yes but only around the price you’ll pay for your 2080Ti and it will outlast that card by a few years. And it gives you 1600 vertical resolution as opposed to 1080 which would be a big leap in sharpness. Okay, it’s not 4K but as you want 21:9 it’s the closest you’ll get.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Monitors/MX38VC/

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Spelling

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

OK thx guys, i now use Panasonic 16:9  4K TV screen at 3840 and its nice. I consider changing to wide view 32:9 Samsung monitor, but i have my doubts about the small vertical view aspect. Actually i can obtain an outside forward view combined with view on PFD - ND (full zoom out). I guess this view will no longer be possible then without adjusting the view...

On 3/8/2020 at 9:33 PM, Evros said:

If you have any more information regarding that setting then I more than gladly stand corrected.

Stealing Mark’s thunder here, but his video explains it well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit