Sign in to follow this  

Retro!!

Hi All, 

I'm looking to get a retro aircraft for P3DV4, having flown a lot of modern stuff I'm really not aware of what's out there, ideally anything from the 50s to about the 80s and with some good systems and texture modeling. Any recommendations are much appreciated! 

Cheap and cheerful (at 20 quid), and just released last week, there is the FSAddon Bristol Freighter if you want a real old-school cargo aeroplane. It features a cockpit with most of the systems of the real aeroplane well simulated, but you'd better not be in a hurry, as like the real thing, it is very slow. Textures are not fantastic, but I daresay there'll be repaints done for it before long. It has a great loading/unloading animation through the clamshell nose doors, with a VW camper and a Mini driving in and out of the hold.

Of a similar ilk, being inexpensive and fun to fly, is the Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar. It's a challenge to get it up to cruising altitude at high MTOWs, requiring good engine management, but that's all part of the fun right?

If you want old school prop action with the flexibility of being able to land anywhere you like, either land or sea, and a stunningly good simulation of engine management, then the Aerosoft Consolidated PBY Catalina is worth a look. There is a version included with a GPS and more modern avionics too, so you get the option for easier navigation if you like.

If you want a large old multi-engined turbojet airliner, the Aerosoft Douglas DC-8 is one of the better bets, being a quite detailed simulation of the real thing, including a better simulation of low bypass turbojets than most other offerings. It is now a bit cheaper than it was upon first release, even though it's a fairly recent creation. Shame it's not a Boeing 707, but we can't have everything eh?

Similarly airliner-wise, there is the Milviz Beong 737-200. Again it is an old school turbojet airliner with no FMC, so you'll be navigating old school style with radio beacons, but you can't get more classic than an old-school turbojet B737 if you like jetliners.

On the way soon is the Just Flight Boeing 747-100/200, with a very detailed cockpit with excellent systems simulation, including a brand new authentic simulation of the Delco Carousel Inertial Navigation System. Exterior textures are looking a bit lacklustre on the preview shots, but again, this is nothing a repaint could not fix. It's not out yet, but keep an eye out for it, as it won't be too far off release.

Perhaps the king of old school airliner simulations, there is of course the A2A 049 Lockheed Constellation. If you like engine and crew management in what many people consider the most beautiful airliner ever made, then look no further. A2A is certainly among the leading developers of flight sim add-ons, with a good claim to being the best add-on aeroplane developer there is, so I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with that one.

I'm sure other people will chip in with many more suggestions, but there's a few to get you going.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hello

Wow! Thanks for all the answers! The Dc-8, 742 and Connie all looks amazing. Is there an approximate release time period for the 742? Also, albeit less retro, any thoughts on the JF A300? 

The JF A300 is an interesting one. Given that one of the best flight simulation airliners ever made, was the SimCheck A300 B4, I think their forthcoming A300 has some big shoes to fill, but on the plus side, it does provide a useful benchmark for JF to aim for. If it matches or exceeds that in quality, it'll be a must have.

One interesting thing with Just Flight which is well worth bearing in mind, is that they have never been shy in developing for forthcoming new sims. They made a nice GA aeroplane for the stillborn Flight Sim World when it was in beta, and they have made stuff for the old and the current versions of AeroFly FS, plus many of their FSX and P3D offerings have subsequently made it into XPlane too. So I would put money on them being right at the forefront of developers who want in on the ground floor with the new MS flight sim, in fact, I am willing to bet that they already are in talks about that. And (this is pure speculation on my part), I have my suspicions that the delay in getting their 747 out might have something to do with the new MS sim and the way they have perhaps gone about making it, because it was originally supposed to be out well over a year ago. They were previewing at Cosford show at that point, then it all went suspiciously quiet for ages...

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

20 minutes ago, Chock said:

I can guarantee you will not be disappointed with that one

I am long time A2A customer and i was disappointed with that one - seriously :-)

• Like 1

Artur 

Definitively the DC-3/C47 from www.sim-outhouse.com.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Cheers, Ed

Agree with Ed...the Manfred Jahn DC-3 is a must have!

For "old school" steam gauges and VOR navigation, you might consider the CS732 (during one of their $25 base model sales)...plenty of mods available, cockpit lighting, optional RXP/F1 GTN, etc.

Rob

4 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I am long time A2A customer and i was disappointed with that one - seriously 🙂

Me too....it just wasn't of the same quality or something...  the graphics to the feel.  I never fly it.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Cant go wrong with the A2A Connie

Click on pic for larger

i-k2zbZqs-XL.png

Edited by warbirds
  • Like 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

If you are looking for a slightly deeper simulation, Captain Obvious would suggest the PMDG DC-6. (If you like, the simulated Flight Engineer takes on much of the systems management.)

• Like 1

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

5 hours ago, edpatino said:

Cheers, Ed

-Agree 100%.

-A2A

-PMDG DC-6

Richard.

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

7 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I am long time A2A customer and i was disappointed with that one - seriously 🙂

Add me to the disappointed list.  I was sure I'd love it... and didn't. Have always found it unpleasant to fly - very twitchy in the pitch axis. That might be a characteristic of the real airplane, but since there are no flying examples to test, it's hard to tell. Would also have preferred a later model - say the 749 - with better performance and more range, and a more useful but still period autopilot.  The decision to offer only the default autopilot as an alternative to the Sperry seems like a let's-kick-it-out-the-door afterthought.

I much prefer the PMDG DC-6 - which could use some finishing, but it flies beautifully, and the flight deck, thanks to the photoreal textures, looks better, at least to my eye.

I'll add a strong vote for the Manfred Jahn C-47.

Speaking of C-47s and DC-3s, Aeroplane Heaven is close to releasing their own versions of both.  Looking forward to seeing what they've come up with.

Hope this helps.

A2A Connie and Aerosoft DC-8 are among my 5 favorite airplanes (the other ones being Majestic Q400, Milviz Kingair 350i and PMDG Jetstream 4100). Unique workflow and great detail in system modelling.   

Peter