Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

I know the feeling Greg. I have a few years over you. I'm going to be positive over this illness. Chin-up!!!!   I have family members that are older. Joking around, I'll be found with my left hand on the yoke, right hand on the throttle quadrant, and feet on the pedals in a petrified state. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Paul Deluca
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chock said:

the UK populace are being stupid and irresponsible in the face of the situation at hand.

Hey Alan

We see the same all over the Western world. In France we have to implement curfews in some cities.

Stupid ? Irresponsible ?  Yes but it is more complicated than that IMHO. Give our  people some slack.

- First, freedom of movement  is a cornerstone of our societies. And rightly so. We are not robots that a master does program to move or not move as he wishes. We absolutely need to respect the quarantine but the anarchistic strain in our population is not entirely a bad sign in general. That's the libertarian in me saying that.

- The politicians who have been in charge everywhere in the West, for the last 15 years, have left our countries in an abysmal state of unpreparedness to a bio-threat. And I don't want even speak of the obvious absurd decisions that they still take nowadays (thinking of the municipal elections in France for instance)  That does not help to build up  confidence in what they decide.  

- Also, I am lucky enough to have a large house amidst a large garden. But I think of the many people/families living in  less than 50 sq. m (500 sq. feet) in city centers. Quarantine is most certainly more difficult to bear for them than for my wife and I. I don't want to even think what will happen when the thermometers will rise to 30°+ C.

So let's relentlessly encourage people to stay home, to respect distancing if they have to go out but let's stop the moral flagellation of our own people.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

U.K. declared as close as possible to state control at 20.30 GMT on Monday 23 March 2020 by PM Boris Johnson.

Personal freedoms now highly restricted. Never thought I’d be writing this about my own country. Unprecedented doesn’t even come close. Historic would be more accurate.

Greatest control of population since World War Two. Blimey! 😢

It will be interesting to see who gets the first fine.  Its going to be a brave copper who's going to issue it.  And if will be interesting to see which London Borough gets a fine first.  I'll make a prediction of Lewisham or Tower Hamlets. 

• Like 2

14ppkc-6.png

7 hours ago, Chock said:

... in very large numbers, the UK populace are being stupid and irresponsible in the face of the situation at hand...

Compared to the total population they represent a tiny minority but I agree it’s very unwise behaviour. Probably the same people who hoover up all the food they can at supermarkets leaving the rest of us struggling. It doesn’t take many idiots to compromise health and well being.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Compared to the total population they represent a tiny minority but I agree it’s very unwise behaviour. Probably the same people who hoover up all the food they can at supermarkets leaving the rest of us struggling. It doesn’t take many idiots to compromise health and well being.

It's not just there. We in South Africa have just had a lockdown announced to be introduced from Thursday. I went out this morning to get dog food and the car parks at two local stores were almost full with panic shoppers, even though we have been told that shops will stay open and that the supply chain is not compromised.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

at virgin we are doing cargo only flights to JFK on the a350. 

Whilst parking up a/c in EGHH, EGPF,EGPH,EGCN

Crazy times.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

38 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

It's not just there. We in South Africa have just had a lockdown announced to be introduced from Thursday. I went out this morning to get dog food and the car parks at two local stores were almost full with panic shoppers, even though we have been told that shops will stay open and that the supply chain is not compromised.

Common sense seems to fly out of the window at times like this. Hope you can cope okay Ian.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Staying at home is not exactly difficult for me at the moment. I have been working from home for the past four weeks after breaking my hip in a freak accident (running to post a single letter barely 50 yards from my office, and making a right mess of jumping from the road to the pavement).

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

Staying at home is not exactly difficult for me at the moment. I have been working from home for the past four weeks after breaking my hip in a freak accident (running to post a single letter barely 50 yards from my office, and making a right mess of jumping from the road to the pavement).

Get well soon Chris.

• Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Common sense seems to fly out of the window at times like this. Hope you can cope okay Ian.

My late father has known hunger during the war when he was in hiding. The generation before him  saw the Western world raises itself out of abject poverty. Yet a generation before saw the end of famines. It was not so long ago. The  fear of lacking is deeply ingrained in us and overwhelm the common sense of most people. And I would add that I do not feel specially well-at-ease when I see my dry foods reserves a bit on the low side. 

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

I literally shattered mine in 2014 - a couple of weeks before mandatory retirement !-  just walking and slipping in the street. Difficult times. The good news, Christopher, is that after a while life is back to normal. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 minutes ago, domkle said:

The  fear of lacking is deeply ingrained in us and overwhelm the common sense of most people. And I would add that I do not feel specially well-at-ease when I see my dry foods reserves a bit on the low side.

I only have myself to cope with. Whilst I'm not rationing myself I am now more aware of my food levels. I'm hoping that the supermarkets will adapt to prevent people mass buying. I suspect once they increase staff to refill shelves the situation will ease. Food delivery is not the problem. Getting it onto the shelves quickly enough is.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

I'm hoping that the supermarkets will adapt to prevent people mass buying. I 

This is called rationing  but don't mention the war 😁

The problem for us two is mainly to know if it is prudent to go shopping as we are in our seventies .  

• Like 2

Dominique

14 minutes ago, domkle said:

This is called rationing  but don't mention the war 😁

The problem for us two is mainly to know if it is prudent to go shopping as we are in our seventies .  

Good old Basil eh? 😁 I'm 69 soon and providing you keep your distance from others you should be okay. Just keep washing your hands! :wink:

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, despite the new restrictions, I'm still seeing plenty of people out and about. Far more people walking dogs that's for sure. I guess it's a good excuse to get out of the house, dog walking being a permitted activity. Plenty of joggers, more than usual, and quite a few people walking the streets. 

I think this is going to be hard to enforce. Mr Policeman stops you and asks why you are out and you reply, "err, err... just out exercising Mr Policeman, honest". Or "err... just on my way to get food". Just seen a young women pushing a pushchair. No shopping bags could I see. Was she on her way to the shops? Was she exercising? Was she on her way to her friends for a get together? Who knows.

Expect even tougher measures in the next few days.

On a more positive note, I'm now in possession of the rarest of commodities. NINE rolls of toilet paper. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

I have to ask, how do you know, are you a key worker? Of course it is really none of my business.

Edited by Reader