Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

39 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I got all I needed except custard. Quite why people need to stock up on that is bizarre.

lol

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

30 minutes ago, martin-w said:

What's the old git  threshold. I'm 62, does that count?

70 I believe but they don't ask for ID so just stoop and mumble a bit and you'll be fine. Complaining about the state of the country with phrases like "It wasn't like this in my day" should remove all doubt. 😁

• Like 5

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Biggles2010, we are getting into the realms of the extremely unlikely here. The chances of someone sneezing and the virus being transported in open air over 2 metres are so low as to be unrealistic.

Did you know that in 2018 an average of 1,489 people died every day in the U.K.? The same number are probably dying now but that is never mentioned by the media.

I’m happy to take my chances in the open air. The risk remains slight.

Aerosol spread is much greater than people imagine, although the risk decreases with distance. Back in the cold war days we were concerned about chemical warfare and had to attend training courses on effects and precautions. Most of the research information was pretty scary. Covid19 is considerably less toxic, but some things still apply.

On reflection there were several parallels to today. As operational aircrew, we were issued with carbon filter protective suits to wear in addition to all our regular flying kit. But we were given them in sealed packs which we could only open in an actual war, because they were in very short supply.  Sound familiar. 

We also practiced doing preflights, up to engine start and cockpit closure, wearing gas masks, and I can really sympathise with the critical care staff working long shifts with full protective kit, in those places where it has been provided. It gets very uncomfortable.

Regarding the death rate from all causes, it's not really relevant. We all die eventually, but it does not affect our added risk from Covid19. I agree the overall risk for most people may not be great, but we have no control over how seriously any one of us may be affected. Serious cases requiring critical care have a poor prognosis,  so it pays to adopt reasonable precautions..

• Like 2

John B

1 minute ago, Biggles2010 said:

We also practiced doing preflights...

Maybe we are not just playing it safe right now but also practicing for other similar problems, perhaps worse could come.

36 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

70 I believe but they don't ask for ID so just stoop and mumble a bit and you'll be fine. Complaining about the state of the country with phrases like "It wasn't like this in my day" should remove all doubt. 😁

If your complexion is very good you could try sticking some Rice Crispies on your face, if there are any left.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

8 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

Regarding the death rate from all causes, it's not really relevant. We all die eventually, but it does not affect our added risk from Covid19.

I agree the overall risk for most people may not be great, but we have no control over how seriously any one of us may be affected. Serious cases requiring critical care have a poor prognosis,  so it pays to adopt reasonable precautions..

All we can do is minimise the possibility of contracting this disease and I’m sure we’re all doing that. At the end of the day it’s probably luck combined with common sense whether we get through this or not.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, SteveW said:

If your complexion is very good you could try sticking some Rice Crispies on your face, if there are any left.

Crikey! Haven’t bought those in decades. Muesli these days but bit tricky to apply. 😁

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

All we can do is minimise the possibility of contracting this disease and I’m sure we’re all doing that. At the end of the day it’s probably luck combined with common sense whether we get through this or not.

Agreed.

20 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Maybe we are not just playing it safe right now but also practicing for other similar problems, perhaps worse could come.

This seems to have been a wake up call for a lot of people. It's a pity experience shows they will all most likely have short memories when it's over.

John B

My daughter has a dogwalking business. Some of her clients are key workers. Anyway, at least she's out exercising on her own and knows some relatively deserted moorland areas for exercising the dogs.

She texted me earlier to say that two fast jets came screaming by at low level and a couple of the dogs got panicky. I said oh well, you're talking to the wrong person - jet noise is the sound of freedom! :biggrin:

My wife said that's unnecessary travel - the RAF boys swanning about in the nice weather! I said it's military training and bring it on.. I then got "the look", so we agreed to disagree.

Best not to anger the womenfolk in these dark times, especially when you live with them! :ph34r::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

One thing the current crisis has done is highlight the British sense of humour. Some of the memes and videos are very amusing.

And in other news it seems the royal family have joined the Covid Club. Prince Charles is infected but said to be doing well.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

She texted me earlier to say that two fast jets came screaming by at low level and a couple of the dogs got panicky. I said oh well, you're talking to the wrong person - jet noise is the sound of freedom! :biggrin:

My wife said that's unnecessary travel - the RAF boys swanning about in the nice weather! I said it's military training and bring it on.. I then got "the look", so we agreed to disagree.

Back in the day, our squadron ops desk used to get regular phone calls from those 'on high', because some retired chap near Redcar spent his life in the garden, trying to note the number of every military aircraft entering the low flying area, so he could complain. When a liaison officer visited him it became clear this was his total occupation. Others might have been happy to have the viewing opportunities he had.

• Like 1

John B

I'd be the one phoning to complain.... that they're not low enough, nor fast enough, nor do they let me know when they're coming LOL. I don't do gardening, don't have a greenhouse, so no windows to shatter, only the house double glazing and we're in social housing so let the housing association complain to the RAF  :tongue: over replacing the glass.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

15 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

No exercising, not even walking the dog...

So, you are supposed to ruin their housebreaking by letting them "go" indoors? :ohmy:

If I still had a dog at least I have a small fenced in backyard where he could go for such matters...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

17 minutes ago, n4gix said:

If I still had a dog at least I have a small fenced in backyard where he could go for such matters...

That's what I do!.......and I don't even have a dog :laugh:

Sure get big roses, though!

DSCF0003.JPG

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: