Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

I don't know if I've posted this already (I might have, I'm pretty tired), but I am seeing disregard for "shelter-in-place" and distancing orders.

I had to inspect a tract yesterday (I still must go to work because my job is classified as "essential"), which is near a golf course.  As I drove by, I saw 4 guys out there playing golf, just all standing on a green, standing right next to each other like nothing is going on, yukking it up.  

Then the other day I was driving to work, and four teenagers are just blithely walking down the street, standing right next to each other.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

14 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Don't misunderstand me.

Oh, I understand...

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, n4gix said:

How about the 17 year old who was allowed to die because... no insurance!

When I read that I thank God that we have our National Health Service here in the UK. It may have its faults but at least delivery of care is still "based on need, rather than ability to pay", to quote the words of its founder, Welshman Aneurin Bevan.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mace said:

I am seeing disregard for "shelter-in-place" and distancing orders.

No surprise there.  I live in an apartment building and I've been trying to time my trips to the lobby - to collect mail and packages - for low-traffic periods.  Nevertheless, twice in the past week I've had to politely - then forcefully - request that neighbors stand clear.  One of them tried to follow me into a small, locked package pickup room - then took offense when I objected.  I found her a minute later in the lobby complaining to the guy on the desk about all the hysteria.  I asked her if she had a public health background - which reduced her, not to silence but at least to low-order grumbling.

This is a highly educated zip code.  We've got the NIH and Walter Reed literally just up the street.  And yet, this.

It's dispiriting.  And exhausting.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, scianoir said:

When I read that I thank God that we have the National Health Service here in the UK. It may have its faults but at least delivery of care is still "based on need, rather than ability to pay", to quote the words of its founder, Welshman Aneurin Bevan.

Would that still have been true had a young teen sought help at a for-profit clinic or doctor's office?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In the UK the NHS is paid for by us all and open to us all.There are private, as in "paid for" facilities for those who are either wealthy enough or insured enough but no one at all is ever turned away from an NHS facility because they cannot pay. It is "free at the point of delivery".

There is no need at all to go to a "for-profit clinic or doctor's office" for urgent treatment and no one does. We have walk in Accident and Emergency departments at most large hospitals for that, although even when there is no virus at large, at times they can be very busy with long waits for attention. One would like to think that with the present lockdown and the increased chance of infection at the hospital itself, the A and E staff will be less troubled by the result of the drunkeness and fighting that prevails most evenings and weekends and those who routinely arrive with no need for emergency treatment at all.

Add to that that the NHS has already set up the means to make use of the private health sector in the event that it becomes necessary in this crisis and it becomes clear that money does not determine whether or not the sick receive treatment.

Reading about the USA seems to suggest that things are different there.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mace said:

I am seeing disregard for "shelter-in-place" and distancing orders.

For those in the US that want to see how well their city is doing with social distancing activity, here is a website that uses GPS from your Smartphone, yes they are tracking us, but in this case it's being done for a good reason. Note the graph showing when cases of COVID increase, folks move around less, as you would expect, except things start to change on March 22, wonder why? I won't speculate here but words have consequences? 

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TuFun said:

Then you got people like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fapSaL3SQO0

Wow, she really is the ugly face of ignorance in every sense of the phrase. And her stupid beliefs, in particular her moronic comment about 'the Illuminati', is why I have a real problem with morons who go on the internet and in particular, youtube, spreading dumb conspiracies theories whilst claiming they are harmless. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Are political posts allowed on Avsim?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, TuFun said:

Then you got people like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fapSaL3SQO0

On the bright side, there's this guy, who took it on himself to rig his car with a loudspeaker and drive around DC - including at the Cherry Blossom Festival when it was mobbed a week ago Friday - reading out his own public service announcement.

He said he was inspired by the Bluesmobile.

Inspiring if you don't think about the droves of people in the video who are out there ignoring him.

There's a nice kicker on the end of the video, by the way - stay 'til the end.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Murmur said:

Are political posts allowed on Avsim?

Generally speaking, I'd treat it like discussing politics or religion at a party or some such; unless you know for sure that you are not going to rub someone up the wrong way (and there's usually no way you can be sure of that unless you're in company with a bunch of close friends), then it doesn't really matter if you are making a decent and entirely valid point, it's still probably not a good idea.

At a party it can cause trouble and arguments, and on somewhere such as Avsim, it can get you a vacation from being able to post, which you're unlikely to be very happy about if it was a valid point you were making. So the moral of the tale is to not press that particular button in the first place, especially on a thread which has managed to make it to 37 pages without descending into a massive row. That in itself is remarkable. 🤣

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here